Review Dogs 133 def Tigers 42

Remove this Banner Ad

Despite improving in many areas, and being 'nearly there' as a good AFL forward, JUH just isnt, his net impact is mostly negligible.
that uncontested OOF for 20m out last night, and last weeks set shot OOF when we needed at least a point, sums up how ineffective he is.
He is still a couple of years development away

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Liked the look of Freijah as a prospect. He doesn’t look out of place physically which is extremely rare for a rookie.
have thought the same thing watching him at VFL, he must have worked extremely hard on his body to get where he is so quickly, reminds me of how quickly Naughton got to AFL level strength

Great win

Thought English was noticably more aggressive in the ruck
Agree. Not much has been said about Timmy's game but after the last few weeks it deserves some comment. I thought he came out with intent and played a very good game. The clean palm (or face palm) to Prestia for Richmond's first goal at the start of the second quarter notwithstanding.

If he plays like that every week I'll have no problem with us giving him a long(ish) contract.

Do you? It’s something that’s been suggested at a length for years now.

Now’s is the time to do it - there was not a spot for him and he was needed at half back.

Do you think when Libba comes back Richard’s will return to defence? Will Macrae be left out?

It’s not as if Treloar or Libba can rotate through half back with Richards.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I spoke to Lou Richards in 1973 at the Ch7 Dorcas St studios during WoS one Sunday.
Through all the cigarette smoke hovering like fog, he clearly said "my brother the former Collingwood wingman will have a grandson who should be a ruck rover, but the grandson of 4-peat Collingwood centreman Jack Beveridge will persist in playing him at half back for too long..."

You can ask Jack Dyer, Bob Davis, Doug Elliott and Bruce Andrew, they heard it too.

I asked uncle Doug about that as he was offering me a Ballantynes chocolate - he said that conversation never took place.

You're still armchair medical experts

English has had a few concussions. Still playing, are you going to retire him too?
No, not an armchair medical expert at all.

I am not retiring anyone, but in case you haven't noticed both Brayshaw and Murphy were essentially retired by a body set up by the AFL that examines these issues differently than I the past.

That is a simple fact of what has changed.

Given English missed most of the pre season with concussion related issue another concussion MAY retire him too.

Gather you also are not accross Picken suing the club and doctors for his issues as well as the class action against the AFL

English has had a few concussions. Still playing, are you going to retire him too?
Maybe. And more of a desk and keyboard medical expert than an armchair one. Armchairs are for layabouts.

Last edited:
No, not an armchair medical expert at all.

I am not retiring anyone, but in case you haven't noticed both Brayshaw and Murphy were essentially retired by a body set up by the AFL that examines these issues differently than I the past.

That is a simple fact of what has changed.

Given English missed most of the pre season with concussion related issue another concussion MAY retire him too.

Gather you also are not accross Picken suing the club and doctors for his issues as well as the class action against the AFL

That's why you leave it up to the medical experts. The club shouldn't be pissing players off without it.

If the medical experts clear Libba then he's fine. If not, then he goes ....

Makes things happen, works hard and is very much a team first player. And becoming a really good leader as well it seems. I know this is only minor but when Harmes kicked his first you can see Naughton waving for everyone to come down and get around him. Things like that show that he is very invested in the club, if the contract wasn’t enough confirmation.
I'm pleased you mentioned this. It's something I made a mental note of at the time too. A very big "little thing".

Later in the game when Marra (who'd been struggling) goaled after receiving a long pass from, yes, Naughton, guess who was first to Marra to wrap his arms around him and ruffle his hair? It almost seemed a bit excessive but I can understand why.

A bit of Bevo's EQ might have rubbed off on Astro. He is very switched on and is rapidly developing as an on-field leader.

How is it different to us critiquing players when none of us have played at that level? It's a public online forum, with dedicated supporters, I don't see the issue with being concerned about players' repeat concussion issues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pleased you mentioned this. It's something I made a mental note of at the time too. A very big "little thing".

Later in the game when Marra (who'd been struggling) goaled after receiving a long pass from, yes, Naughton, guess who was first to Marra to wrap his arms around him and ruffle his hair? It almost seemed a bit excessive but I can understand why.

A bit of Bevo's EQ might have rubbed off on Astro. He is very switched on and is rapidly developing as an on-field leader.
I've never been receptive to hair ruffling myself. You can look but don't touch.

Jamarra generated top 10 total amounts shots on goal last year. He's got the runs on the board to have a couple off off weeks after taking a couple of weeks not training due to personal leave. It it lasts for a month or more fair enough but he's done enough to be allowed to get away with a blip imo

Jamarra generated top 10 total amounts shots on goal last year. He's got the runs on the board to have a couple off off weeks after taking a couple of weeks not training due to personal leave. It it lasts for a month or more fair enough but he's done enough to be allowed to get away with a blip imo

Getting shots on goal isn’t his issue, but when it comes to conversion he’s as bad as anyone in the league.

I spoke to Lou Richards in 1973 at the Ch7 Dorcas St studios during WoS one Sunday.
Through all the cigarette smoke hovering like fog, he clearly said "my brother the former Collingwood wingman will have a grandson who should be a ruck rover, but the grandson of 4-peat Collingwood centreman Jack Beveridge will persist in playing him at half back for too long..."

You can ask Jack Dyer, Bob Davis, Doug Elliott and Bruce Andrew, they heard it too. 😉

He spoke to me at a sportsman’s night at St Augustine’s school in Yarraville in the 70s.
I remember exactly what he said to me.
He said, gimme an effing smoke will ya.
I said sorry Mr Richards but I don’t smoke (true story).
But do I hope Bevo moves your future grand nephew into the middle. And no Collingwood don’t have a God given right to poach him from us.

Getting shots on goal isn’t his issue, but when it comes to conversion he’s as bad as anyone in the league.

Yep, but as Naughton has proved, it's far more likely that Jamarra straightens up his goalkicking than it is any other random player gets themselves into the top 10 in the future like Jamarra has.

Very surprised to see the 2021 version of Alex Keath last night... if he can keep that form our backline looks a hell of a lot better.

Also, Darcy has potential to tear the league apart in a couple of seasons.
Darcy is going to be a monster forward. If he is well coached he will be a nightmare for any opposition side. He is a 4 goal a game player for a long time to come. but, he needs good coaching.

Yep, but as Naughton has proved, it's far more likely that Jamarra straightens up his goalkicking than it is any other random player gets themselves into the top 10 in the future like Jamarra has.

Naughton’s goal kicking has definitely got way better in recent weeks. Let’s hope that’s his standard now, and yes that JUH can fix his up. Thankfully Darcy looks solid on that front already (finger last crossed it stays that way).

Can anyone who was at the ground last night say if Jamarra is getting too close to the man on the mark when he kicks a set shot? Feels like that happens more than it should and such an easy fix.

He spoke to me at a sportsman’s night at St Augustine’s school in Yarraville in the 70s.
But do I hope Bevo moves your future grand nephew into the middle. And no Collingwood don’t have a God given right to poach him from us.

You can ask Jack Dyer, Bob Davis, Doug Elliott and Bruce Andrew, they heard it too. 😉
Should’ve asked him for the Tatts numbers

Your experience of Lou is similar to what I've heard from others who found him to be a rude prick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back