List Mgmt. Draft Needs 2018 : Rankine/Lukosius/Rozee/Hately etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're better off dumping him at Carlton then trading for him in two years when be demands to come home

How often does that actually work out for us? Also fair chance Carlton destroy him as a player in the mean time anyway, in the mean time we could have been developing him in our own system.

I'm only playing devil's advocate because in general I'd rather leave Ogilvy with 3 top 20 picks than a number 1 pick(too much invested into a single asset), but if the club rate Lukoscious high enough, I'd be willing to explore the trade. We'd probably want a 2nd rounder or 2 back though.

This compensation system is open to be rorted and we should seriously look at rorting it.
Tell saints to finish bottom. We let carlton beat us and they let carlton beat them.
Sloane and lynch for compo picks to saints.
Send those compo picks and pick 38 back to saints for pick 1 and billings.
We end up with lukosius and Billings
Saints get sloane lynch 18 19 38.

In saying that we most likely will get the compo pick and wrap 2 together to get into the top 5.
I think this might be doable this year. Suppose our compo pick is 20 and we have pick 15, then using the draft pick points in a standard year, that would add up to just around the value of pick 5 or so.

This year, though, I reckon due to the talent that looks to be on offer, the draft pick points differ from that of a "standard" as shown in my mock up comparison below of picks 1 to 25 - blue is standard year points and orange is this year's distorted values (need to multiply pick points by 100).

Under the distorted values, pick 20 (~1300) + 15 (~1800) add up to worth around pick 2 (~3000).

draft points 2018.jpg

How often does that actually work out for us? Also fair chance Carlton destroy him as a player in the mean time anyway, in the mean time we could have been developing him in our own system.

I'm only playing devil's advocate because in general I'd rather leave Ogilvy with 3 top 20 picks than a number 1 pick(too much invested into a single asset), but if the club rate Lukoscious high enough, I'd be willing to explore the trade. We'd probably want a 2nd rounder or 2 back though.
I know for a fact we have met with the Luko family and indicated we will be doing our utmost to get him to the club.

No big deal in that, anyone could guess we've done our DD meeting the family and making the right noises etc.

What was a little bit interesting is that on top of a promise to do their best, was a qualification that we had accepted we would only be in the running for one go at SA talent, and that we couldn't guarantee that one go will be him.

Again, probably obvious that we wouldn't have currency to grab all of Luko, Rankine, Hately etc.

But maybe a hint that our strategy will be preparing to trade up as high as possible so we can grab one of these kids.

This compensation system is open to be rorted and we should seriously look at rorting it.
Tell saints to finish bottom. We let carlton beat us and they let carlton beat them.
Sloane and lynch for compo picks to saints.
Send those compo picks and pick 38 back to saints for pick 1 and billings.
We end up with lukosius and Billings
Saints get sloane lynch 18 19 38.
Lynch isn’t a free agent..

Looks like he has slid a long way in phantom drafts for now as well, mid to late 30's or something.

Would be sensational value beyond 30 from the bits I've seen.
Not played much this year so far has probably taking the focus off him with the "amateur" draft guys but I'm sure with his body of previous work he won't have slipped too far with the club professional recruiters. He's already almost the complete midfielder, pace, acceleration, toughness, very good over head, goal kicker footy smarts etc, only needs to tidy up his kicking under a pressure a little and he's there.
Hasn't played much because he had a bad collision with the point post early in the 3rd quarter here at Mars Stadium in the 2nd round when he was heading for B.O.G. after missing the 1st round. Only played the 1 game since where he was high in the GWV Rebels best players winning plenty of clearances and booting a couple of goals in a team that got well beaten. Hopefully he's back for this weeks game against the Calder Cannons down at Rams Arena in Craigieburn. He's a 1st round talent make no mistake wherever he eventually lands..

Ludicrous . Imagine if he did his knee and never played again . Need to get as many picks as possible and hold . Look at cats when they got Mackie Bartel Johnson etc that is the blue print . Can lay ground work for multiple flags
To me it seems like a waste to have one of the best recruiting departments at identifying talent only to end up trading all our first round picks for a single player.

Plus I don't like the idea of putting all our eggs in just one basket.

What's the chances of him getting past any of Brisbane picks? I know Fagan has a hardon for Jarrod and the QLD teams are becoming more astute in drafting mates/brothers to combat the go home factor.
IMO Tom has the potential to be better than Jarrod, superior pace and acceleration which allows him to get separation from the contest and just as tough and hard nosed as brother Jarrod. At this point I'd say Brisbane would hope to pick up Tom with their 2nd.

To me it seems like a waste to have one of the best recruiting departments at identifying talent only to end up trading all our first round picks for a single player.

Plus I don't like the idea of putting all our eggs in just one basket.

Yep, jack watts was a no.1 draft pick once...

I know for a fact we have met with the Luko family and indicated we will be doing our utmost to get him to the club.

No big deal in that, anyone could guess we've done our DD meeting the family and making the right noises etc.

What was a little bit interesting is that on top of a promise to do their best, was a qualification that we had accepted we would only be in the running for one go at SA talent, and that we couldn't guarantee that one go will be him.

Again, probably obvious that we wouldn't have currency to grab all of Luko, Rankine, Hately etc.

But maybe a hint that our strategy will be preparing to trade up as high as possible so we can grab one of these kids.

Interesting. Its certainly very conceivable that all three, plus even Rozee may go top 10-12, with our picks likely to be after this. It may be that we're worried that with our current picks we'll completely miss out on these names, especially if Port finish below us, and are deadset keen on getting at least one of these players into our side. It would then depend on what's potentially on the table come trade time and who's willing to deal.

This far out from last years draft I'm sure we held little hope that Fogarty would last out of the top 5, which would probably got against trading all our picks, or at least committing to do so, so far out from the draft.

Dear Jack/Isaac/Jackson/Connor and parents,

Thanks for joining us at this meeting.

We would love to have you join us at the club and will be doing our best to make that happen!

All of you have been showing great performances and great character. You are on track to go in the top 6, to a club like Carlton or Fremantle. Well done!

All of our picks will be 10+ and on your current trajectory it will be hard for us to draft you.

What you choose to do with this information is up to you.

Alright great thanks for your time bye.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many picks are we expecting to use in this years draft? If sloane and lynch leave, If we get compo (sloane) and say pick 25 (lynch), are we really going to use 5 draft picks? Are we even going to use 4 draft picks? If our intention is to use only 3, why not throw 3 picks at carlton or Brisbane and get pick 1.

If we trade picks we aren’t going to use to better our draft position, how much have we lost?

We'd easily be able to cut half a dozen players from our list this year. We'll use all our picks.
Really? 6? I tried to do this the other day. I can cut 2, maybe 3 and after than I run into players you'd be better trading than delisting as they'd likely get games elsewhere. EDIT and would be fairly handy to keep.

Are the wheels about to fall off at Geelong? I wonder if this year is their last crack at it.

Given his bro's seeming success with North - cutting to the bone, fall down ladder, fresh talent in, quick rise - would Chris do something similar?

Keep have a crack this year. Harsh cuts at season's end. Bottom out in 2019. Rebound.

Would Geelong be receptive to trading their 2018 1st rounder for our 2019 1st rounder?

Are the wheels about to fall off at Geelong? I wonder if this year is their last crack at it.

Given his bro's seeming success with North - cutting to the bone, fall down ladder, fresh talent in, quick rise - would Chris do something similar?

Keep have a crack this year. Harsh cuts at season's end. Bottom out in 2019. Rebound.

Would Geelong be receptive to trading their 2018 1st rounder for our 2019 1st rounder?

Surely Geelong have reached the point that they finally need to use their own draft picks? Surely

cant see too many trading out of this years draft . North now that they have Thomas on scene as likely top 5 pick and look like they may finish 8th-10th may want to turn 1 pick into 2 . If we lose Lynch or Sloane swapping their 1st for our first and carltons 2nd would be very tempting for us and give us a chance at Rozee ( possibly Rankine / Hately but less likely )

If we match FA bid for Sloane and force trade then maybe have 3 picks inside 15 unless Melbourne win the flag or near it

Need to beat Melbourne this week and in the home game return !! That would help

Really? 6? I tried to do this the other day. I can cut 2, maybe 3 and after than I run into players you'd be better trading than delisting as they'd likely get games elsewhere. EDIT and would be fairly handy to keep.
reckon I could easily cull 6
Hampton
Dear
Davis
Jarman
Edwards
Cheney
Hunter
Otto 50/50 he's not getting better from here
Would keep Sig but maybe we can draft someone better
Jury out on Poholke - prob keep

Open to trading Mackay and Lynch for right deal

Douglas
Mackay
Hampton
Cheney
Dear
Signorello
(Lynch)
(Sloane)

If we want to keep Douglas then I'd cut maybe a Davis or Otten

Not including rookies where Hunter and Jarman are on the chopping block

Last edited:

I'm tipping we get Rozee and that's why we are not overly fussed at losing Lynch if he wants 3 years +

Rozee will be a high forward / mid

Douglas
Mackay
Hampton
Cheney
Dear
Signorello
(Lynch)
(Sloane)

If we want to keep Douglas then I'd cut maybe a Davis or Otten

Not including rookies where Hunter and Jarman are on the chopping block
There’s a paywall article about Douglas not doing a Lever so a new contract mustn’t be far away.

9iX0.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back