Eagles Best 22 in 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

So why draft him?

The club did say they didn't draft Clark for the short term.

Redden won't be fit round 1.

Gaff and Sheed are very poor defensively.

And Clark can play defense.

I would pick Clark on the bench as a mid but with a break glass in emergency if a defender goes down in a game.

You tell me.
I am just pointing out it is not our way to not play the regulars. I would play players on form but our club plays players on past efforts.
I hope we do play him and others.

You tell me.
I am just pointing out it is not our way to not play the regulars. I would play players on form but our club plays players on past efforts.
I hope we do play him and others.

Credits in the bank are at an all time low.

We actually have some pressure on players for spots plus several older bodies that will need managing.

With Shep retiring, Redden with a delayed start likely I expect a fair few fringe, developing types to get games.

And thats before new injuries.

After seeing people posting the tackling and contested possession numbers of the grand finalists in another thread, it must be noted that both grand finalists played two ruckmen too:

Gawn + Jackson vs Martin + English

And so did we in 2018 (Nic Nat + Lycett then Lycett + Vardy).

Huge year ahead for Williams methinks. I personally don't want Gov or Allen in the ruck.

Agree but we might have to play tall then if we want to play Allen ( Too good to not be playing)

I’ve been thinking about what this should look like in 2022 if we have to hub or spend significant time away from home.

Firstly, and this will sound harsh - I think we need to accept that the flag is an impossibility this year. Finals are at best 50/50. There’s no evidence from the last 3 seasons to counter this.

The second reality we need to consider is the likely issues/cancellations that the Beagles will face in the WAFL.

This creates a big problem in terms of player development in a time we need to be focusing on this the most. We can’t go into this season pumping games into the established players while ignoring the young. We’re just not good enough to do so. Therefore I propose a higher rotation system than normal to ensure that the young players are getting games into them that they’re missing at WAFL level.

Is this ideal? No. Is this necessary? Yes.

O’Neill is the perfect example. He’s stagnated already due to lack of exposure. At a minimum he should be playing 12-14 games this season for his development/to prove he can stay. Clark, SPS and West need similar games pumped into them. IN THE MIDDLE, not on a flank. Chesser needs blooding. Winder can’t be allowed to waste a year without WAFL games, so give him around half the games available also. Etc etc.

I’d be disappointed if Hurn, for example, plays more than half the games this season. That’s unnecessary in the current state of play. Kennedy would have been in the same boat, but Darling has changed that landscape unfortunately. Why not rest Naitanui every fourth game and let Williams/Strnadica strut their stuff?

This approach may impact upon our results somewhat, but if we have enough faith in these guys to draft them then we should have enough faith in them to develop them properly when it’s necessary. I’m reminded of the St Kilda hub game, which was a shining light in a very disappointing season, and that was a fresh side that wanted a win. Let’s let these kids get us some wins in 2022 and beyond.

I’ve been thinking about what this should look like in 2022 if we have to hub or spend significant time away from home.

Firstly, and this will sound harsh - I think we need to accept that the flag is an impossibility this year. Finals are at best 50/50. There’s no evidence from the last 3 seasons to counter this.

The second reality we need to consider is the likely issues/cancellations that the Beagles will face in the WAFL.

This creates a big problem in terms of player development in a time we need to be focusing on this the most. We can’t go into this season pumping games into the established players while ignoring the young. We’re just not good enough to do so. Therefore I propose a higher rotation system than normal to ensure that the young players are getting games into them that they’re missing at WAFL level.

O’Neill is the perfect example. He’s stagnated already due to lack of exposure. At a minimum he should be playing 12-14 games this season for his development/to prove he can stay. Clark, SPS and West need similar games pumped into them. IN THE MIDDLE, not on a flank. Chesser needs blooding. Winder can’t be allowed to waste a year without WAFL games, so give him around half the games available also. Etc etc.

I’d be disappointed if Hurn, for example, plays more than half the games this season. That’s unnecessary in the current state of play. Kennedy would have been in the same boat, but Darling has changed that landscape unfortunately. Why not rest Naitanui every fourth game and let Williams/Strnadica strut their stuff?

This approach may impact upon our results somewhat, but if we have enough faith in these guys to draft them then we should have enough faith in them to develop them properly when it’s necessary. I’m reminded of the St Kilda hub game, which was a shining light in a very disappointing season, and that was a fresh side that wanted a win. Let’s let these kids get us some wins in 2022 and beyond.

Happy to invest in a devopment year as long as we see the desire and effort to compete and improve.

Show some heart and pull off some wins others dont expect.

We play better when everyone has written us off. :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Does this ever happen anywhere though? We aren't all of a sudden going to drop our midfield to accommodate Oniel, Trew and co. They have to show something to push their way in.

Does this ever happen anywhere though? We aren't all of a sudden going to drop our midfield to accommodate Oniel, Trew and co. They have to show something to push their way in.
It’s not about dropping our midfield, but encouraging them into other roles (Shuey isn’t up to it any more, he should be on a flank, Kelly should play forward at times during games…) and rotating the players through. I think rotation should be seen as key to our 2022 season.

It’s not about dropping our midfield, but encouraging them into other roles (Shuey isn’t up to it any more, he should be on a flank, Kelly should play forward at times during games…) and rotating the players through. I think rotation should be seen as key to our 2022 season.

We didn't have the midfield rotations available due to injury in 2021. A midfield with everyone bar Shuey fully fit and sure it works as you're only replacing 1-2 cogs.

Go through the statistics and see the win ratio of teams making 4 or more changes a week and you'll see why changing more than 1-2 players a week is a very bad idea.

Good to see my boy Bailey is stepping up

From Nathan Schmook on AFL.com
“And another thing...
Fourth-year tall Bailey Williams looks ready to play regularly and solve the Eagles' ruck riddle, relieving Oscar Allen to play as a permanent forward. The timing couldn't be better as the Eagles prepare for life without Jack Darling after he failed to meet the League's COVID protocols. - Nathan Schmook”

We didn't have the midfield rotations available due to injury in 2021. A midfield with everyone bar Shuey fully fit and sure it works as you're only replacing 1-2 cogs.

Go through the statistics and see the win ratio of teams making 4 or more changes a week and you'll see why changing more than 1-2 players a week is a very bad idea.
I think the potential for long term hubbing is a unique situation though, and the state of the side for the past 3 years should encourage a bit of rotation and opportunity for new players through the middle.

He wasnt saying make 4 or more changes a week.

Its having a plan to fast track development.

Its one reason Hutchings didnt get an extension.

Injuries and covid will provide plenty ofopportunities this season all on there own.

He wasnt saying make 4 or more changes a week.

Its having a plan to fast track development.

Its one reason Hutchings didnt get an extension.

Injuries and covid will provide plenty ofopportunities this season all on there own.

Well if you're looking at adding 10 games of development each to say 6 players then that's going to be a minimum 3-4 changes a week particularly once you factor injuries in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really?

And how did you work that out?

You must have a lot of spare time on your hands.

Really, 60 development games spread across 6 players plus 20 games to other positions via injury = 80 games. 22 game season. Basic maths took about 3 seconds internally to work out it was just over 3.5 changes per game.

Oh and I do have plenty of spare time. Being semi-retired at 36 has some perks.

Really, 60 development games spread across 6 players plus 20 games to other positions via injury = 80 games. 22 game season. Basic maths took about 3 seconds internally to work out it was just over 3.5 changes per game.

Oh and I do have plenty of spare time. Being semi-retired at 36 has some perks.

And all 6 players could play the last 5 games of a shot season as development and pickup another 5 games injury cover in the first 17 rounds.

Lets say those six are Clark, West, L Edwards, B Williams, Foley and H Edwards. All young fringe players we want to get games into if the season is a bust. Can swap Winder and Trew to that list too.

How would that scenario effect you 'average changes' calcualtion?

This is Freo talk. And I'm not having a go at you alone but anyone who is already wanting us to throw our season.

We should always start the season expecting to win it.
And there is a bit to be excited about for 2022 - as well as bringing in new midfield coaches and our gameplan shakeup, we still actually have a good list.

We arguably have the best small forward squad in the league. And our tall forwards should be able to hold their own.
Tall Backs we could arguably be best in the the league too.

A midfield with Yeo, TK, Gaff firing again properly is a solid midfield if some of the support crew step up - maybe it'll SPP, Sheed, West or Duggan. Who knows but it's a new season.
And a New gameplan getting the ball into our forward line quicker and our capable forward line will certainly benefit.
And more midfield defensive pressure means the opposition are back to having to long bomb it in and our marking power down back becomes an asset once again.

Could I be wrong on all of it? Yeah possibly, but you go into a season planning to win it and looking at the weapons you have.
That's the difference between us and the Dees - we don't need 15 years of priority picks to win a premiership because along the way there have been some stalwarts behind the scenes at the club insisting upon success. (which is what we've been lacking past couple of years it seems).

Last edited:
This is Freo talk. And I'm not having a go at you alone but anyone who is already wanting us to throw our season.

We should always start the season expecting to win it.
And there is a bit to be about excited about for 2022 - as well as bringing in new midfield coaches and our gameplan shakeup, we still actually have a good list.

We arguably have the best small forward squad in the league. And our tall forwards should be able to hold their own.
Tall Backs we could arguably be best in the the league too.

A midfield with Yeo, TK, Gaff firing again properly is a solid midfield if some of the support crew step up - maybe it'll SPP, Sheed, West or Duggan. Who knows but it's a new season.
And a New gameplan getting the ball into our forward line quicker and our capable forward line will certainly benefit.
And more midfield defensive pressure means the opposition are back to having to long bomb it in and our marking power tall back becomes an asset once again.

Could I be wrong on all of it? Yeah possibly, but you go into a season planning to win it and looking at the weapons you have.
That's the difference between us and the Dees - we don't need 15 years of priority picks to win a premiership because along the way their have been some stalwarts behind the scenes at the club insisting upon success. (which is what we've been lacking past couple of years it seems).
I think this is a bang on post.

I feel my post comes from having lost faith in the current regime and it’ll take some good early performances to win me over. Heck, I’d like to see us put some poor teams to the sword. It’s been a long time since we’ve really produced four quarter efforts (though I do agree, in theory, the talent and coaching support is there to achieve it).

I feel my post comes from having lost faith in the current regime and it’ll take some good early performances to win me over. Heck, I’d like to see us put some poor teams to the sword. It’s been a long time since we’ve really produced four quarter efforts (though I do agree, in theory, the talent and coaching support is there to achieve it).

Tbh just as big a part of our problem has been our reluctance to punish shocking performances from bad players.
We left it too late last season to the point where if you were to cut underperformers then half the team would be gone.

If we do have some early bad performances I would love to see an immediate response - for example, a plodding Sheed needs to go straight the 2s. He's been given enough grace because of 'that kick' (and what a kick it was!!).
Would rather watch less skilled players running than 'stars' and 'heroes' jogging around.

I feel exactly like this, with the cattle on our list we should be able to be optimistic around the performance of this team. Now sure travel, injuries, COVID etc etc may have played a factor but it's moreso been the lack of application over the past few years that has caused us to lose a few important games that defined seasons and then last year I just want to forget.

It's going to take some proof before I have faith in this team again.

Hey everyone. I'm going to be previewing every team in the lead-up to the season and I've done the Eagles now. Any feedback and constructive criticism on everything (writing style, opinion on the team, and so on) is more than welcome!

Hey everyone. I'm going to be previewing every team in the lead-up to the season and I've done the Eagles now. Any feedback and constructive criticism on everything (writing style, opinion on the team, and so on) is more than welcome!

My only critique would be talking about certain players as if they have been down in form when really they weren't on the park due to injuries

West Australian have gone with this as our best side, whilst I agree for the most part the concern for me is how many of these guys are barely training (highlighted below). Rioli didn't train yesterday either, not sure if just being managed.

• Defenders I'd swap Hurn and Rotham, need his speed higher up the ground to take the game on off half back.
  • Shuey simply has to come out of the mids or go to the outside, swap with Kelly IMO
  • Forget Darling for now, swap with Allen and bring Willie onfield
  • Switch Cripps and Ryan, Ryan to play deep
  • If Petruccelle is flying get him in the side (in for Darling)
  • Flip a coin between Witherden and Nelson, personally I'd go Witherden
  • Jones the sub over Langdon

WEST COAST​

B: Josh Rotham, Tom Barrass, Tom Cole

HB: Liam Duggan, Jeremy McGovern, Shannon Hurn

C: Andrew Gaff, Luke Shuey, Dom Sheed

HF: Tim Kelly, Jack Darling*, Liam Ryan

F: Oscar Allen, Josh Kennedy, Jamie Cripps

Foll: Nic Naitanui, Elliot Yeo, Jack Redden

I/C: Jackson Nelson, Willie Rioli, Sam Petrevski-Seton, Bailey Williams

Sub: Zac Langdon

Emerg: Alex Witherden, Jake Waterman, Harry Edwards, Jack Petruccelle

West Australian have gone with this as our best side, whilst I agree for the most part the concern for me is how many of these guys are barely training (highlighted below). Rioli didn't train yesterday either, not sure if just being managed.

• Defenders I'd swap Hurn and Rotham, need his speed higher up the ground to take the game on off half back.
  • Shuey simply has to come out of the mids or go to the outside, swap with Kelly IMO
  • Forget Darling for now, swap with Allen and bring Willie onfield
  • Switch Cripps and Ryan, Ryan to play deep
  • If Petruccelle is flying get him in the side (in for Darling)
  • Flip a coin between Witherden and Nelson, personally I'd go Witherden
  • Jones the sub over Langdon

WEST COAST​

B: Josh Rotham, Tom Barrass, Tom Cole

HB: Liam Duggan, Jeremy McGovern, Shannon Hurn

C: Andrew Gaff, Luke Shuey, Dom Sheed

HF: Tim Kelly, Jack Darling*, Liam Ryan

F: Oscar Allen, Josh Kennedy, Jamie Cripps

Foll: Nic Naitanui, Elliot Yeo, Jack Redden

I/C: Jackson Nelson, Willie Rioli, Sam Petrevski-Seton, Bailey Williams

Sub: Zac Langdon

Emerg: Alex Witherden, Jake Waterman, Harry Edwards, Jack Petruccelle
Reckon Waterman is a straight swap for Darling, and I'd probably have Witherden in for Nelson as well. Love Jacko's aggression and ability to clamp down on someone, but I think Witherden offers us a point of difference coming out of defence with his ball use, which we probably need more of going into this year.

Agree with your other points. Could easily see Petch squeezing in there if he continues his strong summer, although I'm not sure who comes out for him. SPS maybe? But Ryan, Rioli, Cripps is a very good small forward lineup.

Reckon Waterman is a straight swap for Darling, and I'd probably have Witherden in for Nelson as well. Love Jacko's aggression and ability to clamp down on someone, but I think Witherden offers us a point of difference coming out of defence with his ball use, which we probably need more of going into this year.

Agree with your other points. Could easily see Petch squeezing in there if he continues his strong summer, although I'm not sure who comes out for him. SPS maybe? But Ryan, Rioli, Cripps is a very good small forward lineup.
Yeah agreed, plus I think Cole plays a similar role to Nelson and I prefer Cole of the two.

I agree that Witherden is a point of difference IF Hurn isnt playing. We can't have Hurn and Witherden both in the same backline.

If Hurn is playing I'd take a number of run and gun type players before Witherden. If Hurn drops off or drops out then there is a better argument for Witherden considering his lack of run.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back