Traded Eagles Pick 50+2018 1st for Gold Coast Picks21,26,37+2018 2nd

Remove this Banner Ad

With our home ground advantage we always tend towards the middle of the ladder. We can't win away but we have to be truly horrible to lose at home.

Based on that the notion falling into the bottom 4 is actually less likely than people seem to think.

Plus, perhaps the new stadium fills out every game (because it's new and cool) and opposition team s**t themselves having to fly a long way to face 50-55k fans. Usually Subiaco only holds like 37k but that doesn't stop "noise of affirmation" happening.

I like this trade for us.

Quality over quantity.

Not too sure why West Coast would do this when it is likely they will slide down the ladder next year.
Getting the Suns' 2018 second-rounder mitigates this risk slightly. It could end up being a pick downgrade from 14 to 20 next year if positions remain stable.

Even if they if they make finals and WC finish bottom 4 it will be roughly equivalent. On paper.

In reality I would prefer the early pick.
with next years draft apparently as strong as it is i would too. but who knows maybe the eagles have a plan

If both teams finish in a similar position, it is a huge win for WC.

I mean, people are underestimating the points disparity.

View attachment 429871
It's a decent "commission" provided positions remain stable.

And you could further argue that with the addition of those three second-rounders in 2017, the value of WC's outgoing pick 50 is diminished.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure. That's the risk. I don't think finals are out of the question for WC next year. But it's a gamble, no doubt.

Agree. On paper a great deal. You’ve effectively taken on the deal that we refused. But all depends on how the drafting goes with those 20’s and 30’s picks. You wouldn’t want too many Lambs, Swifts and Nottes in there.

But all depends on how the drafting goes with those 20’s and 30’s picks. You wouldn’t want too many Lambs, Swifts and Nottes in there.
Or Weedons.

But you could say that any year about any picks. If you waste your picks, any trade that adds picks will look like a mistake.

I was sceptical about this swap when it was discussed in connection with the Digs, but the addition of the Suns' 2018 second-rounder makes this deal acceptable to me. Who knows - WC might come back in 2018 armed with that pick and find a way to upgrade it back into the late teens.

It really all boils down to how early the outgoing first-rounder ends up being. If it's pick 5, that will obviously sting. If it's pick 13-14, not so much.

Obviously it's tough to predict next year's ladder without knowing the fixture yet but I struggle to see West Coast making finals next year. A 9-14 finish looks likely to me, in which case they'd be giving up pick 5-10.

Are West Coast fans still comfortable with this trade in this scenario?
If it's pick 10 and the Suns' second-rounder is pick 20, I think it's defensible.

If WC have given up pick 5 in 2018 then we're having a different discussion.

If the wheels really fall off in 2018, it'll hurt. But if WC remain stable, it's OK.

I don't think WC will slide that much and should therefore win this trade.

The interesting questions will be how well Naitanui comes back from his knee and how well can WC play at Perth Stadium. I believe the new stadium will have similar dimensions to the MCG which WC haven't played to well on, with some suggesting "the web" doesn't work on wider grounds.

Obviously it's tough to predict next year's ladder without knowing the fixture yet but I struggle to see West Coast making finals next year. A 9-14 finish looks likely to me, in which case they'd be giving up pick 5-10.

Are West Coast fans still comfortable with this trade in this scenario?

Where does Gold Coast finish in 2018?

We have their 2nd rounder that year.

It's a decent "commission" provided positions remain stable.

And you could further argue that with the addition of those three second-rounders in 2017, the value of WC's outgoing pick 50 is diminished.
Definitely. Unless GC finish top 8 and WC finish bottom 2, it doesn't swing in their favor points wise.

However that top 2 pick, probably has greater real value than the points. It would definitely be a frustrating outcome and is a risk.

You are right about 50. For WC it is a nothing pick, especially since they rarely go deep/get value from that kind of selection. In fact few clubs do, just on probability.

Last edited:
Slightly counter-intuitive in the fact that they've obviously chosen to go quantity over quality but then can't really play the quantity because playing 3-4 1st year players each game would probably harm your finishing position for next year. Reckon WC come out on top though unless they completely crumble.

Definitely. Unless GC finish top 8 and WC finish bottom 2, it doesn't swing in theur favor points wise.

However that top 2 pick, probably has greater real value than the points. It would definitely be a frustrating outcome and is a risk.

You are right about 50. For WC it is a nothing pick, especially since they rarely go deep/get value from that kind of selection. In fact few clubs do, just on probability.
Would WC have used pick 50 this year as their sixth pick?

Maybe not. So it basically becomes a freebie.

The whole trade is about the 2018 downgrade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back