Preview Elimination Final - Sydney Swans vs GWS, 3:20pm, Saturday August 29 @ UTAS, Launceston

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted you to know that I successfully resisted making a joke about only needing 5000 seats.

I appreciate it , as I’m sure you appreciate I resisted the urge to tell you to go and get ****ed :)

Watched the Toby Greene presser. Wow. He is totally psyched for this game. Make no mistake people this is going to be full bore.

Watched the Toby Greene presser. Wow. He is totally psyched for this game. Make no mistake people this is going to be full bore.

Would hope all the players are pumped for a Final. :p

I could be psyched at a press conference

I wonder if part of the reason that the AFL were so keen to put two games in Tasmania is part of damage control from the fallout of the Carter report.

This article basically surmises as much.

"The league’s commitment to play two elimination finals in Launceston this weekend acted as an olive branch in negotiations."

It also broaches the possibility of us playing our semi final (should we win) in Tasmania too.

I dont think we can risk taking Mills and Kennedy into this game with injury clouds hanging over their heads. Personally, I would take fit young talent over half fit veterans - even if we are talking about 2 of our best 3 mids. Warner for Mills and give Kennedy another week. I'd love to get Bell into the team somehow but there isn't room. Big games needed from everyone, but especially on the ball - Hewitt, Rowbottom, Florent. Cameos from Papley and Heeney in the middle.
Whatever happens, its been a great season from our boys and should be a cracking game.

Sounds like Warner is fit and will be in so that's a huge boost. I wouldn't play Mills and instead hope a week's rest gets him back for the SF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Call me crazy but I feel GWS' midfield might be a better match-up for us when we are without the two bulls JPK and Mills (especially the latter, as JPK has been less of a bull and more of a receiver in recent weeks.)

GWS are full of big strong brutes who can go for four quarters. We can play all of JPK, Parker and Mills and try and match them. Turn it into a war of attrition. But that's exactly what GWS want, and that's the way they've been able to beat us in recent times, like in round 5 when it was scrappy and contested and we would've been wiped off the park if not for a BOG performance from Buddy. I feel like when we have played a bit less of a heavy midfield against them, we have done quite well.

In round 18, with Mills being the late out, Hewett stepped up as inside player with Parker and offered a different look to what Mills did, had 30 possessions with only 3 turnovers and 9 clearances. Just having Hewett in there instead of Mills made a big difference and we started winning out of the centre and got the game on our terms with a more attacking brand. Last year in the great Perth derby, we had a midfield of Parker and Rowbottom backed by Papley, Florent and Blakey, and though we lost the key midfield "stats", I felt like we actually won the midfield battle as they couldn't keep up with us and the game was well and truly on our terms.

So maybe I'm going early here but the 3 most recent encounters with them could be indicative that when we field our strongest midfielders (in terms of brute strength) against GWS, it actually just ends up playing into their hands.

I dont think we can risk taking Mills and Kennedy into this game with injury clouds hanging over their heads. Personally, I would take fit young talent over half fit veterans - even if we are talking about 2 of our best 3 mids. Warner for Mills and give Kennedy another week. I'd love to get Bell into the team somehow but there isn't room. Big games needed from everyone, but especially on the ball - Hewitt, Rowbottom, Florent. Cameos from Papley and Heeney in the middle.
Whatever happens, its been a great season from our boys and should be a cracking game.

From the swans perspective it sounds like Mills requires loading through his Achilles, Brad Jonhson had a similar injury which he said was only resolved after a month of rest. Otherwise, he managed it through stretching the Achilles and making sure there's enough blood flow through it. It might be better if he plays rather than rests. Re Kennedy, hammy's are soo fickle & unless he's 100% fit I wouldn't risk him. Warner should definitely play since he's 100% fit & offers that dynamic burst through the midfield.

Babies - she's expecting twins!

Naturally , Tom just gets it done

Bet he just looked at her and she was pregnant , that’s how powerful he is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back