England tour of New Zealand

Remove this Banner Ad

The English press haven't been as scathing on this England team after a loss as they usually are, instead they are praising them for being part of an all time great test match and playing an exciting attacking brand of test cricket that people enjoy watching so I can't see them changing their approach.

And it’s all true so why not

For the kiwis on here while it's a different format does today erase any sort of pain and gain a bit of sweet revenge from the 2019 WC final.

For the kiwis on here while it's a different format does today erase any sort of pain and gain a bit of sweet revenge from the 2019 WC final.

Maybe a little but not much considering that was a different format and it was a World Cup final which had a lot more riding on it than a test match.

I'm sure if you asked most of the players involved in those two matches what they would have preferred to win most would say the World Cup final.

I can't remember the last time I was so invested in a cricket match that didn't involve Australia.

I had to drive to work for a 2pm start today so was following Dwayne Russell's updates on SEN. Got to work in time to turn on the TV to see the finish (thank god for Foxtel at work!)

I don't know how long Bazball will last but it has made for some extraordinary cricket over the past few months. But the Kiwis' traditional approach was te one that took the win in the end.

Apart from being one of the all-time great test matches it will be written about in years to come for its differing philosophies as to how the game is played.

And Kane Williamson...what a player.

Maybe a little but not much considering that was a different format and it was a World Cup final which had a lot more riding on it than a test match.

I'm sure if you asked most of the players involved in those two matches what they would have preferred to win most would say the World Cup final.

Maybe so, but there will be a number of players who will have great anecdotes for sportsman's nights for decades to come.

(Much like how Mike Whitney milked faced out that over from Hadlee to draw the test for years afterwards).

I gave up on this Test on Sunday - didn't even follow it yesterday or today until the last 45 minutes.

This is fantastic for Test Cricket - if New Zealand can start driving this sort of competitiveness against the Big 3 the best format in Cricket will thrive. I would love to get to a point where a home series in Australia is competitive outside of vs India

Maybe so, but there will be a number of players who will have great anecdotes for sportsman's nights for decades to come.

(Much like how Mike Whitney milked faced out that over from Hadlee to draw the test for years afterwards).

the World Cup was a farce everyone knows it - this Test will live on forever, just like the 2001 test did and still does

the World Cup was a farce everyone knows it - this Test will live on forever, just like the 2001 test did and still does

Yeah no doubt this test will become part of test cricket folklore like those other famous follow on tests at Headingly in 1981 and Kolkata in 2001.

It may not have a trophy attached to it like a World Cup final does but it is still a special match to have been involved in, especially for the NZ players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really, but there is no revenge to be had against England imo.

The WC was an umpires error (bit like yesterday) and a stupid ICC rule (just bowl another super over ffs, until there is a winner).

I gave up on this Test on Sunday - didn't even follow it yesterday or today until the last 45 minutes.

This is fantastic for Test Cricket - if New Zealand can start driving this sort of competitiveness against the Big 3 the best format in Cricket will thrive. I would love to get to a point where a home series in Australia is competitive outside of vs India
NZ have been punching way above their weight for years. Their approach is very different from Australia - they don’t try and appeal to the masses - they focus on their elite kids and put the time into them - Rugby 🏉 trounces them for participation but within their school networks they do it very well. Consequently in relative terms they keep the grassroots to a manageable level and ensure that the quality remains relatively high

Southee admitting the ball before was a wide . Testament to him
Probably could admit 2 extra above shoulder height in his previous over 😊

Southee is a very very likeable cricketer. He’s combative in that he will have a word but it’s always delivered with a smile, he’s not a ‘win at all costs’ player by any means and he is pound for pound probably in the same skill realm as Boult, Broad, and the Anderson of his first 15 years (Anderson last 5 years has gone up into the Cummins, Rabada, Hazlewood tier)

Southee is a very very likeable cricketer. He’s combative in that he will have a word but it’s always delivered with a smile, he’s not a ‘win at all costs’ player by any means and he is pound for pound probably in the same skill realm as Boult, Broad, and the Anderson of his first 15 years (Anderson last 5 years has gone up into the Cummins, Rabada, Hazlewood tier)
I can think of multiple occasions in which Southee absolutely did not deliver his words with a smile on his face. Even in this Test I don't think his send off of Crawley had much joviality in it.

I can think of multiple occasions in which Southee absolutely did not deliver his words with a smile on his face. Even in this Test I don't think his send off of Crawley had much joviality in it.

Honestly I haven’t. I probably haven’t watched him as closely as you but every sledge I’ve seen delivered has been the sledge of a smart arse

I don't know if anything will ever erase the pain of losing a world cup final that was decided by the number of boundaries hit.

It was a joke at the time and still is.

I had no idea of the result. I finished work early and watched it on Kayo.

I reckon I did ten laps of the lounge room when Anderson nicked down leg side.

Great game to watch.

I don't know if anything will ever erase the pain of losing a world cup final that was decided by the number of boundaries hit.

It was a joke at the time and still is.
My memory is that Archer bowled a no ball in the final over which gave NZ 7 balls instead of 6 to score more runs but I am happy to be proved wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back