Traded Esava Ratugolea [Traded to Port Adelaide for #25, #76 and #94]

Remove this Banner Ad

Mackie bought new headgear to celebrate.
a-feather-in-your-cap-BM7GDE.jpg

MackDogg strutting around at AFL House tonight:

This trade is Tim Kelly-esque.

The uptrade from Sav to 25 + 2 x 3rd rounders is ridiculous.

Mack does it again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need to post a poll.

Which trade was the bigger fleecing?

Tim Kelly vs Big Battered Saveloy

As stupid as it sounds those late picks are likely to actually make a slight difference.

Port and Geelong are likely to be taking picks right at the end of the draft. Without those trades it would've been Port then Geelong then Port then Geelong, etc until they've each taken picks. This trade jumps all those Geelong picks ahead of Port's. Not much but not nothing.

I imagine Geelong's thinking went along the lines of.

25? You're joking, we can do better than that.
<time passes>
Come on, do better than 25...
<time passes>
We can't just take 25 now, everyone knows we rejected that. We'd look like idiots...
<deadline approaches>
Please Please Please give us something more than 25...We'll take anything. Please.

I'd love Port to stand their ground and see if Geelong values their egos more than pick 25.

Nailed it... Added a couple of bottle tops, now they can say they got more that 25.

Honestly I think Mackie runs the risk of reputational damage with future trade periods
Yep all the list managers have to deal with each other again in the future, they'll remember this petty crap. Geelong likely to be on the receiving end of this next time. I'm sure Esava sure appreciated the need to hold it for the entire trade period just so Mackie could extract those 'valuable' extra picks.

From all reports, Esava is a terrific young fella, he cracks in, full of enthusiasm but Geelong have made out like bandits here.

If he wasn't the size he was, with his skill set, he'd struggle to get a game in the AFLW.

Geelong going to come hard for Ollie Lord at the end of next season (if he hasn't signed an extension by then)

Already been reported he’s in discussions for an extension. On top of that, he’s apparently told Geelong he didn’t want them to draft him wasn’t interested in being a part of the Sav trade to head back. Don’t know why but seems to be some bad blood there so don’t think we need to worry much about this occurring.

Well, happy to agree with everyone else here and say that was entirely pointless. Glad this will be Mack's last year in charge, because he's been made to look like a fool doing this.

With that said, he still got the deal done before 6pm, while big dick Dodo is sitting there knocking back picks for a likely DFA and trying to direct swap contracted players for uncontracted ones.

No-one will ever out-Dodo the Dodo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back