Traded Esava Ratugolea [Traded to Port Adelaide for #25, #76 and #94]

Remove this Banner Ad

I was talking about father/sons. I can't believe people still state picks will fall ... its irrelevant, same as academy players.

... plus we probably ended up with who we wanted with 3 out if those 3 first rounders anyway after trading in Bruhn and Oliver last year and trading our way back into the first round of that draft to select Max Holmes.
Tim Kelly said hello

BF is indeed a funny place sometimes. Esava has been offered multiple very long term lucrative deals by multiple clubs Geel, Haw and PA. It’s of no relevance on what he has produced. it’s what he will produce. Do ppl really think clubs just offer those deals Willy nilly. There is a reason his offer is so much more than the BZT, Soldos, Kosi etc. It’s because he is more valuable!! You can argue how good he is on BF with blokes that watch 5 mins of a player throughout the whole season but what’s the point. Clearly professional AFL list managers like what they see and are getting.

You could legit argue not getting the Esava deal done last year cost Port a GF spot to this year.

If you offer contracts of 5 years (or more) on over $650 clubs are going to ask for a 1st rounder and rightfully so. Geel won’t get that but to suggest late 30s picks will get it done when there are roughly 45-50 draft picks taken just shows a lack of knowledge in the game.

Yep you could very well walk him into one of the drafts. All clubs could but they just don’t. It’s an industry not a transaction.

BF is indeed a funny place sometimes. Esava has been offered multiple very long term lucrative deals by multiple clubs Geel, Haw and PA. It’s of no relevance on what he has produced. it’s what he will produce. Do ppl really think clubs just offer those deals Willy nilly. There is a reason his offer is so much more than the BZT, Soldos, Kosi etc. It’s because he is more valuable!! You can argue how good he is on BF with blokes that watch 5 mins of a player throughout the whole season but what’s the point. Clearly professional AFL list managers like what they see and are getting.

You could legit argue not getting the Esava deal done last year cost Port a GF spot to this year.

If you offer contracts of 5 years (or more) on over $650 clubs are going to ask for a 1st rounder and rightfully so. Geel won’t get that but to suggest late 30s picks will get it done when there are roughly 45-50 draft picks taken just shows a lack of knowledge in the game.

Yep you could very well walk him into one of the drafts. All clubs could but they just don’t. It’s an industry not a transaction.

I like this post overall but accusing people of watching five minutes of footy then in the next breath suggesting Esava was even remotely possibly the missing link between Port and a grand final is the pot calling the kettle black.

All clubs could demand a first rounder for a mid aged player who has never cemented a spot. They just don't. It's an industry not a transaction.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I like this post overall but accusing people of watching five minutes of footy then in the next breath suggesting Esava was even remotely possibly the missing link between Port and a grand final is the pot calling the kettle black.
There was a hint of sarcasm however you were percentage away from two home finals. It’s hardly far fetched it was a fine line for a GF birth. You know Port better than me but when we play them I worry that our midfield getting blown away. If we don’t then our fwds will get plenty of decent looks with the likes of McKenzie and co.

Again Port have been above ave on identifying drafting and trading talent. They know.

Last edited:
All clubs could demand a first rounder for a mid aged player who has never cemented a spot. They just don't. It's an industry not a transaction.

Again what you or I think about Esava is irrelevant.

Multiple clubs believe in him enough to have offered him 5 years at 650k. Why aren’t they offering those deals to the Kosi, Soldos and BZT or the world.

What he has done as a fwd or whilst developing in a sense is irrelevant. I’d say that’s a fair endorsement of his future value and expectations right now from people that are actually professionals. Run of the mill reserve players that apparently not best 22 don’t get offered deals like that. Players on those deals don’t get traded for picks in the late 30s or 40s.

It’s amusing that most Port supporters are breathing fire about “unreasonable Geelong”. Shouldn’t that anger be directed at the people at Port who value a player clearly more than the supporter base does.

Playing Aliir as a loose defender all year could absolutely be the difference

Again what you or I think about Esava is irrelevant.

Multiple clubs believe in him enough to have offered him 5 years at 650k. Why aren’t they offering those deals to the Kosi, Soldos and BZT or the world.

What he has done as a fwd or whilst developing in a sense is irrelevant. I’d say that’s a fair endorsement of his future value and expectations right now from people that are actually professionals. Run of the mill reserve players that apparently not best 22 don’t get offered deals like that. Players on those deals don’t get traded for picks in the late 30s or 40s.

It’s amusing that most Port supporters are breathing fire about “unreasonable Geelong”. Shouldn’t that anger be directed at the people at Port who value a player clearly more than the supporter base does.
I couldn't care less about Geelong TBH.

If I were in their position I'd ne happy with my club asking for more so long as they don't end up empty handed. I don't see Geelong as being a genuine competitor any time soon.

I'm more concerned about the weak negotiation position Port have let themselves get into.

The ruck and KPD issues haven't happened over night.

Our trading team have credits in the bank. It just seems like they haven't done it well this time around, but time will tell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I were in their position I'd ne happy with my club asking for more so long as they don't end up empty handed. I don't see Geelong as being a genuine competitor any time soon.

I'm more concerned about the weak negotiation position Port have let themselves get into.

Our trading team have credits in the bank. It just seems like they haven't done it well this time around, but time will tell.

I bet you were one of those that didn't see Geelong being a legitimate contender in 2022.

We'll be OK but thanks for your concern.

Rejecting a pick in the very late 30s or even 40s when there is only say 50 players taken isn’t a big risk for any club to weigh up. The old “you’ll end up with nothing” is hardly a disincentive on that deal. We miss the chance to choose btw what say 10 kids at the back of the draft.

Apart from the side swipe, I’m sure Geel do see Port as a contender so why would you give that potentially final piece to them for free. I’m sure he’d get to Port in the preseason draft (like 99% of players) but there are a lot of clubs including us looking for key defenders with the money to spend. Not to mention outside the expansion clubs most teams have an aversion to destroying a trading relationship for years down the track.

Nobody from Port seems to answer the question of what a player on 650k for 5 years should be worth? A player you beat out both Haw and Geel to obtain. Allegedly when Haw were offering even more.

I think we get that most people are anchored to what Esava was as a fwd and won’t change until they see 4 years of new evidence.

Rejecting a pick in the very late 30s or even 40s when there is only say 50 players taken isn’t a big risk for any club to weigh up. The old “you’ll end up with nothing” is hardly a disincentive on that deal. We miss the chance to choose btw what say 10 kids at the back of the draft.

Apart from the side swipe, I’m sure Geel do see Port as a contender so why would you give that potentially final piece to them for free. I’m sure he’d get to Port in the preseason draft (like 99% of players) but there are a lot of clubs including us looking for key defenders with the money to spend. Not to mention outside the expansion clubs most teams have an aversion to destroying a trading relationship for years down the track.

Nobody from Port seems to answer the question of what a player on 650k for 5 years should be worth? A player you beat out both Haw and Geel to obtain. Allegedly when Haw were offering even more.

I think we get that most people are anchored to what Esava was as a fwd and won’t change until they see 4 years of new evidence.
I'm not suggesting this figure is wrong but have seen it many times in this thread, was that info via a credible source?

Did the Cats really knock back 24?

GEELONG looks set to rebuff Port Adelaide's offer of pick 24 for Esava Ratugolea as the Power look to land the key defender.

Port Adelaide made the first trade of the period on Monday, swapping their future first-round pick for Fremantle's pick 24 this year and a future second-round selection from the Dockers.

The No.24 pick has been tabled to the Cats for Ratugolea, however it is believed Geelong is not expected to accept the selection in exchange for the 25-year-old.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back