Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

Christensen only offered / signing a 1 year deal.
Is that strange? Thought he'd get a 2yr deal. Only 27

Not particularly. He’s come off a couple of long term injuries and hasn’t exactly had the best year.

The one year contract will be on less money, and gives him the opportunity to re-neogotiate a better contract with us at the end of next season if his football warrants it. It keeps him on edge and helps him get the best out of himself.

Not particularly. He’s come off a couple of long term injuries and hasn’t exactly had the best year.

The one year contract will be on less money, and gives him the opportunity to re-neogotiate a better contract with us at the end of next season if his football warrants it. It keeps him on edge and helps him get the best out of himself.

Yep..Makes perfect sense...Heard his management (Tim Hazel) speak earlier this year on one of the sports radio programmes...He pretty much said at the time that the length of time Christensen had been out of the game was a concern for both player and club...it was agreed to adopt a wait and see and continue regular updates/talks as the season progressed...

Fess up if you’re the chap that is over six foot cruising around in one of those ugly woollen Lions jumper sporting a Lions beanie in the city today; you couldn’t have stood out anymore.

Well done to you Sir.:thumbsu:
Why didn't you go up and say hello D12? I'm betting it was one of the mods.

Why didn't you go up and say hello D12? I'm betting it was one of the mods.
Was rushing on the way to a meeting, but it is very rare to see someone mid week rocking out to the extent this guy was in all his Lions gear, particularly this thing:

upload_2018-6-20_17-47-0.jpeg

Yep..Makes perfect sense...Heard his management (Tim Hazel) speak earlier this year on one of the sports radio programmes...He pretty much said at the time that the length of time Christensen had been out of the game was a concern for both player and club...it was agreed to adopt a wait and see and continue regular updates/talks as the season progressed...
He is lucky to get 1 year after that shocker he put in against the Doggies........to his credit his form has improved since then.

Read this really interesting article by Martin Flanagan on the state of footy in Tasmania which I thought Tassie4ever and irish would have been most interested in and I wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts - Link

I wouldn't normally p*ss on anything Flanagan wrote, but in this article he hits the nail on the head.

When I first started work, in the Customs Department in Hobart, the first question I was asked was "who do you barrack for?" That is, who in the local comp did I barrack for.

That team, the Hobart Tigers, no longer exists, at least in the form it used to. Nor anything like the old TFL, NTFL, and the NWFL competitions which had all been in existence for over 100 years. Gone forever, on the neglect or mismanagement of many. Including one Scott Wade. But lets no forget the long-lamented Big D [you can use whatever moniker you like for the "D"].

Tassie football was once ingrained in local culture. There are residuals still there but they are well hidden.

But hey, the AFL has its [admittedly very expensive] winners. I give you the GC. I mean what a shining example of financial incompetence. How many $mills are we up to so far? Never mind- we'll get there eventually. Though that could be some time off, based on last weekend.

And some around here have the hide to go on about Tassie lacking the financial wherewithal to be a success. Just a tip, AFL persons- money ain't everything.

I live in hope that the AFL might one day live up to its descriptor- Australian Football League. That it might one day get a CEO or whatever with some nouse instead of a complete nong like Demetriou or a pretty corporate face like the incumbent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Read this really interesting article by Martin Flanagan on the state of footy in Tasmania which I thought Tassie4ever and irish would have been most interested in and I wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts - Link
Thanks Dylan , I had not read Martins comments, yes I go agree with his statements and back up tassie in his opinions
Tasmanian footy at its base roots is a deep seated community entity especially in the regions but mismanagement and ignorance from head office has let this grass roots support wither. Traditional teams such as sandy bay , hobart and north Hobart were let die , but not all is lost Tasmanians are very proud football people and they demanded action from those who looked the other way to non traditional markets looking for the $$$$$

So now tassie footy is hot on the AFL agenda , one of the country's greatest and Longest running clubs in North. Hobart has returned and dismissed the identity forced on it by a blind afl local administration.

There is a way to go to return to days gone by but the will of the few will overcome the mistakes of the many

Saw this post on ozbargain.com.au - 4 free tickets to AFL matches in Bris/Syd/GC. Could be interesting for anyone who doesn't have a membership, or looking to drag along some supporters who have fallen off the wagon and show them that things are on the up!
(sorry I can't provide more details - I'm out of Australia and seem the neverbeens website doesn't load properly for me... and credit to the original poster on ozbargain).

Edit: Looks like tickets are not released to the site until 48 hours before the match (based on ozbargain forum comments).

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/386013
https://neverbeens.afl/matches

[QLD/NSW] Free AFL Tickets to Various Games in Sydney, Brisbane, + Gold Coast. (up to 4 Tix Per Email)

Choose from 19 matches at 4 different
venues between now and the end of the season.

Technically an offer for those who have never been to a match, though reading the FAQs, it would seem that any Tom/Dick/Harry could get some tix. I didn't try personally, so let your fellow OzB'ers know how you go.

Appears to also include a 'welcome pack' to teach you the rules etc.

Full list of matches as below:

Rd 12 - GWS GIANTS V Gold Coast SUNS,
Saturday, Jun 9, 4:35PM, Spotless Stadium
Rd 12 - Brisbane Lions V Essendon
Sunday, Jun 10, 1:10PM, The Gabba
Rd 13 - Sydney Swans V West Coast Eagles
Friday, Jun 15, 7.50PM, SCG
Rd 13 - Gold Coast SUNS V St Kilda
Saturday, Jun 16, 4:35PM, Metricon Stadium
Rd 14 - Brisbane Lions V GWS GIANTS
Saturday, Jun 23, 4:35PM, The Gabba
Rd 15 - GWS GIANTS V Richmond
Saturday, Jun 30, 7.25PM, Spotless Stadium
Rd 16 - Sydney Swans V Geelong Cats
Thursday, Jul 5, 7.20PM, SCG
Rd 16 - Brisbane Lions V Carlton
Saturday, Jul 7, 1:45PM, The Gabba
Rd 17 - Gold Coast SUNS V Essendon
Saturday, Jul 14, 7.25PM, Metricon Stadium
Rd 17 - GWS GIANTS V Richmond
Saturday, Jul 14, 7.25PM, Spotless Stadium
Rd 18 - Sydney Swans V Gold Coast SUNS
Saturday, Jul 21, 2.10PM, SCG
Rd 18 - Brisbane Lions V Adelaide Crows
Saturday, Jul 21, 7.25PM, The Gabba
Rd 19 - GWS GIANTS V St Kilda
Saturday, Jul 28, 4.35PM, Spotless Stadium
Rd 19 - Gold Coast SUNS V Carlton
Saturday, Jul 28, 7.25PM, Metricon Stadium
Rd 20 - Brisbane Lions V North Melbourne
Saturday, Aug 4, 2.10PM, The Gabba
Rd 21 - Gold Coast SUNS V Richmond
Saturday, Aug 11, 2.10PM, Metricon Stadium
Rd 22 - Gold Coast Suns V Brisbane Lions
Saturday, Aug 18, 7.25PM, Metricon Stadium
Rd 23 - Brisbane Lions V West Coast Eagles
Date TBC, Time TBC, The Gabba

Rd 23 - Sydney Swans V Hawthorn
Date TBC, Time TBC, SCG

Last edited:
Saw this post on ozbargain.com.au - 4 free tickets to AFL matches in Bris/Syd/GC. Could be interesting for anyone who doesn't have a membership, or looking to drag along some supporters who have fallen off the wagon and show them that things are on the up!
(sorry I can't provide more details - I'm out of Australia and seem the neverbeens website doesn't load properly for me... and credit to the original poster on ozbargain).

Edit: Looks like tickets are not released to the site until 48 hours before the match (based on ozbargain forum comments).

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/386013
https://neverbeens.afl/matches

My god - if we didn't know we were crap by now this offer really brings it home. Unfortunately it will only be successful if the newbies we bring on these tickets get to see an interesting game with great atmosphere.

I haven't watched much soccer lately but some of Robbie Kruse's panic plays are reminding me of poor ole' Ben Keays. Both get into the right positions I'd say but just not a whole lot of composure between them.

I haven't watched much soccer lately but some of Robbie Kruse's panic plays are reminding me of poor ole' Ben Keays. Both get into the right positions I'd say but just not a whole lot of composure between them.
Robbie Kruse has been poor for the Socceroos for a couple of years now IMO.

Time to move him on and give Arzani a start. I reckon Nikita Rukavytsya is a better player than Kruse and he just missed out on the WC squad having been one of the three cut at the conclusion of the training camp prior to the WC.

Not sure where to put it but I can't hold in my Bastinac disappointment any more.
He was abysmal in the fist half of last year and he rightly got chewed out, to date I think he's the only player that has got a coach's blast, and he deserved it at the time. He took that blast in hi s stride and addressed his faults and during the second half of last year he was one of our most dependable players. He deserves a blast now.
We have a list screaming out for anyone that can play midfield who isn't commencing their career or finishing it up and where is he? Auto pilot in the ressies. Ridiculous. After he got blown out last year he had a superb finish to the year. He was safe for around 20 possessions and was the most reliable goal kicker we had.
What the * is his problem? We need him now; he doesn't need to dominate, he just needs to support. In fact what he offered second half of last was perfect, more of that would help the transition of our mids so much.
What happened?

Basically Kruse is a smart and hardworking footballer until he gets the ball. He gets into the right spots and defends well but kills momentum when he actually gets the ball.

Not sure where to put it but I can't hold in my Bastinac disappointment any more.
He was abysmal in the fist half of last year and he rightly got chewed out, to date I think he's the only player that has got a coach's blast, and he deserved it at the time. He took that blast in hi s stride and addressed his faults and during the second half of last year he was one of our most dependable players. He deserves a blast now.
We have a list screaming out for anyone that can play midfield who isn't commencing their career or finishing it up and where is he? Auto pilot in the ressies. Ridiculous. After he got blown out last year he had a superb finish to the year. He was safe for around 20 possessions and was the most reliable goal kicker we had.
What the **** is his problem? We need him now; he doesn't need to dominate, he just needs to support. In fact what he offered second half of last was perfect, more of that would help the transition of our mids so much.
What happened?

He was solid last year but then we added Cameron, Bundy, Rayner and Bailey to our forwardline.

Obviously he's not quite there. Didn't help that when he got his chance this year he was absolutely pathetic.

Still perplexed why Juric was preferred ahead of Timmy. The moment was tailor made for a Cahill smash and grab moment. I think it was one of those "what could have been" situations and perhaps what Marwijk would be remembered for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back