Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

I don’t care for a lot of those commentators you mentioned and not do I boo at the footy, but my reasons and I suspect a lot people’s reasons for disliking Goodes has nothing to do with the colour of his skin. His general behaviour on field and constant staging and antics were the reason why in much the same way people dislike Dangerfield or Judd or Liberatore and Romero or even a Rhys-Jones before that.

I agree in his later years. I watched far too many Sydney games, given they were all that was on FTA, and remember that too. But what I don't remember is concerted consistent booing of him. That booing only kicked off competition wide once he started becoming more outspoken about race.

I find it insulting that anyone disliking Goodes is automatically a racist particularly when those same people revel in delight at the likes of Eddie Betts and love how he carries himself on field.

You can dislike Goodes. I haven't watched the documentary - do they portray it as "anyone who dislikes Goodes is a racist"? I'm guessing so given your comments? However if someone doesn't want to be called a racist, maybe they shouldn't join in an action that obviously has a racial element.

I was frustrated at Goodes' play, especially since he was so much better than most of the other players on the field, but I didn't feel such a compulsive need to boo him that I was deeply upset when actions of racists effectively took that option away due to not wanting to condone their behaviour.

People are allowed to dislike Goodes without that making them a racist.

However, it is a fact that Goodes was subjected to abhorrent racism. Not everyone who booed Goodes did so for racist reasons. However, all those who were booing him were doing so along with very large group of racists and were OK with doing so.
That’s not for me to say one way or the other however there have been plenty of white players booed every time they went near the footy too, although I accept not to the same level as Goodes, but his antics for a period of time there was never going to endear him to anyone and it didn’t which is why so many people dislike him. I call BS on the fact the booing was because he was Indigenous particularly when most of those same people booing were applauding their own indigenous players and I’m sure if you were a racist you wouldn’t doing that.

That’s not for me to say one way or the other however there have been plenty of white players booed every time they went near the footy too, although I accept not to the same level as Goodes, but his antics for a period of time there was never going to endear him to anyone and it didn’t which is why so many people dislike him. I call BS on the fact the booing was because he was Indigenous particularly when most of those same people booing were applauding their own indigenous players and I’m sure if you were a racist you wouldn’t doing that.

Theres a distinction between applauding indigenous footballers who fall into line with expectations from white people and punishing the ones that are vocal about racism.

Even if the booing was misinterpreted it became racist as soon as Goodes made it clear that was how he felt.

Theres a distinction between applauding indigenous footballers who fall into line with expectations from white people and punishing the ones that are vocal about racism.

Even if the booing was misinterpreted it became racist as soon as Goodes made it clear that was how he felt.
I certainly had a problem with his staging for frees. He was too good a player for that & he chose to keep doing it when he was called out. The booing is another thing though.

I applaud anyone who speaks out about a cause they’re passionate but Goodes’ antics on field and his holier than thou attitude was the root cause of his issues. Every time he went near the ball he was staging for frees and generally carrying on. It was the same reason why Jason Akermanis was despised by the footy world for a period there too; it was nothing to do with race. I also remember as a kid when I went through a phase of watching cricket and Richard Hadlee was booed constantly. I don’t recall race being an issue either.

Goodes’ antics on field and his holier than thou attitude was the root cause of his issues
I think that's demonstrably not true.

Goodes wasn't booed consistently at every non-NSW ground for years while he was appealing for frees and stuffing around on the field. He received some booing here and there, but it wasn't out of line compared to any other opposition player, e.g. Aker or Lloyd or whoever else, and it wasn't an issue to him or others.

Goodes started being booed consistently at every non-NSW ground once he started speaking out on racism, especially after calling it out in the crowd. That's when it became an issue.

I had no feeling either way about Adam except that he was a very good player who was annoying because he seemed to get favourable treatment from the umps as many good players do ,and really whinged when things didn't go his way. But it didn't make me want to boo him . I remember when Carl Ditterich used to cop loud booing in the '60s and people said it was because he was German . Not many seemed to consider that racist at the time ironically.

Goodes booing really developed into something ugly when he did the dance and called out the girl at the MCG. I think his aggression and forthrightness in exposing a kid stirred up something feral in the mob and to me that had a significant racist element. Adam found himself caught up in something that span out of control , and took me back to the days when the Krakouer brothers amongst others used to cop torrents of racial abuse from elements in the crowd every week. To me it's a poor reflection on those involved, Adam is a good guy and didn't deserve the vilification . And hopefully it never happens again.

From personal experience a lot of people who are racist don't believe they are.
I don't buy that at all and think you should be careful casting such aspersions.

Speaking of personal experience, I have friends of all colours and whilst I never booed Goodes, the umps or anyone, none of my family, friends, colleagues etc who I've spoken to about this topic, albeit last year or when the boo boys were targeting Goodes, would consider me racist / prejudicial in anyway.

I don't buy that at all and think you should be careful casting such aspersions.

Speaking of personal experience, I have friends of all colours and whilst I never booed Goodes, the umps or anyone, none of my family, friends, colleagues etc who I've spoken to about this topic, albeit last year or when the boo boys were targeting Goodes, would consider me racist / prejudicial in anyway.
Not casting aspersions on anyone that I don't know personally which is why I said "from personal experience".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not casting aspersions on anyone that I don't know personally which is why I said "from personal experience".
'Racism' has become a catchcry for lots of other things that aren't racist hasn't it. Some people perceive everything as racist,others nothing.

You've only got to look through history right up to this day to see that every country is racist/has racist elements .

It will never be eliminated.

It's now taken on the mantle as the worst thing anyone could be accused of when of course there are lots of other worse things.

The economic divide , over population and the desperation for those disenfranchised to seek a better life and the insecurity brought on by a pandemic and consequent economic crisis has only heightened the fury of this issue in many countries.

Japan certainly does

Funny you should say that . Of all the countries I've travelled in to me the most racist was Japan . Not in an overt nasty way , just a seething undercurrent.

The country most identified as racist the US is a hotchpotch and nowhere near as endemic as in other places overall imo.

Funny you should say that . Of all the countries I've travelled in to me the most racist was Japan . Not in an overt nasty way , just a seething undercurrent.

The country most identified as racist the US is a hotchpotch and nowhere near as endemic as in other places overall imo.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on the assumption I'm making re: race (just playing the stats here), but it shouldn't be a surprise if a white person finds Japan racist but the US less so.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on the assumption I'm making re: race (just playing the stats here), but it shouldn't be a surprise if a white person finds Japan racist but the US less so.
Perhaps so . But it was the reverse of my expectations .

The US is impossible to assess because there are massive civil rights / ultra sympathetic to immigrants of any colour , swathes of humanity throughout the US and redneck pockets where nothing much has changed mentally for 300 years. San Francisco which is a place empathetic to any sex/race still has large numbers of homeless the majority of whom are black. It's a conundrum.

I don't think I'm judging the Japanese too harshly per se but it's no secret that they have no time for blacks or muslims . And as far as I could tell an undercurrent resentment of white foreigners . Not everyone of course , just generally. I don't hold all that against them, I don't have anything against them .In the US it's more open and everyone (spokespeople) seems to get a say . In Japan you wouldn't really know whether they regarded themselves as racist or not . But I think the latter.

Perhaps so . But it was the reverse of my expectations .

The US is impossible to assess because there are massive civil rights / ultra sympathetic to immigrants of any colour , swathes of humanity throughout the US and redneck pockets where nothing much has changed mentally for 300 years. San Francisco which is a place empathetic to any sex/race still has large numbers of homeless the majority of whom are black. It's a conundrum.

I don't think I'm judging the Japanese too harshly per se but it's no secret that they have no time for blacks or muslims . And as far as I could tell an undercurrent resentment of white foreigners . Not everyone of course , just generally. I don't hold all that against them, I don't have anything against them .In the US it's more open and everyone (spokespeople) seems to get a say . In Japan you wouldn't really know whether they regarded themselves as racist or not . But I think the latter.

Yes seems Japan treats both white and black in the same way

A lot of the racism with people comes from ignorance. Whilst you are Booing a player simply because you don't like them and not the colour of their skin is fine for your own reasoning, you need to have some awareness of what is happening around you. There is no doubting that a lot of fans were booing him because they didn't like his actions, however plenty of people who are racist took that opportunity to make it something bigger and the dog pile began.

I was in the same boat of not liking how he handled himself, however found it very uncomfortable to boo him with what was going on because what he was copping was clearly more then just actions.

On a broader scale, people view racism too internally. Doesnt matter if you aren't racist, if you do something, say something or support something that is taken as racism by someone else, then it is on you to have some empathy and do better. I do believe a lot of racist people don't consider themselves racist, and probably aren't in the sense that they don't see minorities any differently. But it doesn't mean you can't behave in a racist manner. You havent been in the shoes of those that suffer racism, so you don't really have the right to decide what should be considered racist or not. The widespread acceptance of things that can be a little racists contributes towards the apathy of society in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back