Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

Or, y'know, (and this is obviously not as much fun as dumping on the AFL) they're actually in contact with the different state governments as to how movement might be restricted and are working through various contingencies. Hubs will be close to the last option.

Now there is a stat about as useless as hit out stats and ashtrays on motorbikes.

Hence the title. Interesting though that Collingwood jump into the 8 and Geelong and Richmond plummet down the ladder

We get the win over Geelong

G'day all

I'm in a full squad sized keeper league (Supercoach scoring) and we are in the midst of our mid season draft.

Something is drawing me to Tom Joyce. Lot's of positive media on his potential and what he has been doing in the VFL. How close would he be to an AFL debut do we think and is he a chance at breaking out in the next 1-2 years?

Cheers :thumbsu:

G'day all

I'm in a full squad sized keeper league (Supercoach scoring) and we are in the midst of our mid season draft.

Something is drawing me to Tom Joyce. Lot's of positive media on his potential and what he has been doing in the VFL. How close would he be to an AFL debut do we think and is he a chance at breaking out in the next 1-2 years?

Cheers :thumbsu:
His chances of debut have diminished with the return of Lochie, Berry and the improved showing of Robbo, Matho and Devrob. However looking into the future his chances of staying on the list have significantly improved with his efforts and performances in the VFL over the last three months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolute crap if the league has to go into a pause because the sooky Victorian players don't want to go into a hub for 3 weeks.

If you dont want to go into a hub, don't and don't get paid either.

Absolute crap if the league has to go into a pause because the sooky Victorian players don't want to go into a hub for 3 weeks.

If you dont want to go into a hub, don't and don't get paid either.
Couldn’t agree more. Contrast their response to the Lions reaction to being stuck in Melbourne for an extra two weeks (iirc) Without notice. Really demonstrated the clubs total commitment to getting the best result from the team.

Couldn’t agree more. Contrast their response to the Lions reaction to being stuck in Melbourne for an extra two weeks (iirc) Without notice. Really demonstrated the clubs total commitment to getting the best result from the team.
Freo did something similar without complaint as well.

Think of all the people whose livelihood their impacting while sitting at home making tens of thousands a month

I think it's more the indefinite nature. I get the feeling it was harder for players than they expected last year. A few mental demons at play.

Perhaps not the younger draftees, but a fair few of your older, more settled players - they've got wives and kids and whatnot. Jarryd Lyons I think has a 6 month old at home. I think I read a few months back that Jules Neale was up the duff. I don't think I could ask either of those players to leave their partners for 2 months. And if you move the wives and kids in with them... That still leads to more problems. Jobs, how much freedom the families are allowed under hub life. And again, do you want to tell Jules Neale that her parents, or any supports they have aren't allowed to be nearby?

(Note: this was deliberately done with Lions players, because that's who we know. But the same goes for your Rory Sloane, your Patty Dangerfield, and any other parents with young kids. I wouldn't care if I was on $1m/year. If it's the wellbeing of my family or keeping a sporting code running... Sorry sports fans, I'm out).

I think it's more the indefinite nature. I get the feeling it was harder for players than they expected last year. A few mental demons at play.

Perhaps not the younger draftees, but a fair few of your older, more settled players - they've got wives and kids and whatnot. Jarryd Lyons I think has a 6 month old at home. I think I read a few months back that Jules Neale was up the duff. I don't think I could ask either of those players to leave their partners for 2 months. And if you move the wives and kids in with them... That still leads to more problems. Jobs, how much freedom the families are allowed under hub life. And again, do you want to tell Jules Neale that her parents, or any supports they have aren't allowed to be nearby?

(Note: this was deliberately done with Lions players, because that's who we know. But the same goes for your Rory Sloane, your Patty Dangerfield, and any other parents with young kids. I wouldn't care if I was on $1m/year. If it's the wellbeing of my family or keeping a sporting code running... Sorry sports fans, I'm out).

States open up their borders pretty quickly after a lockdown is lifted though. I don't think it would extend more than 3-4 weeks.

If Victoria is still in a lockdown a couple of weeks from now then they're going to have bigger issues than the AFL to deal with.

Our lockdown extended by a week........you can nearly wager it will go on from there too!

#$*&+^%!!!:mad:

Wish I'd stayed in Qld..

I don't think it will get extended again, seems like a precaution more than anything. All the people who tested positive are already in isolation so a bit different to last years nightmare.

I don't think it will get extended again, seems like a precaution more than anything. All the people who tested positive are already in isolation so a bit different to last years nightmare.
I agree. Testing numbers are great, contact tracing seems to be keeping pace (just) and case numbers aren’t growing much day on day. Those indicators are all pretty good. I get why they have extended lockdown but I think Victoria has responded really well this time.

States open up their borders pretty quickly after a lockdown is lifted though. I don't think it would extend more than 3-4 weeks.

If Victoria is still in a lockdown a couple of weeks from now then they're going to have bigger issues than the AFL to deal with.
Yep, and the AFLPA have stated that players are willing to go up to a month in hubs, but not beyond that. So they're not being unreasonable... I just wouldn't fault players deciding that they weren't doing it. Big paypacket or not - they are still people.

There's been a few high profile separations and divorces that happened last year. There may well have been a while lot we don't know about. I figure maybe the players association has a pretty good handle on how it worked out last year, and they don't want a repeat.

It's not just the AFL who has that problem, but a finger can get pointed to the hub.

I really do not trust them. flash backs to last years pressers. The Day to Day and nothing concrete when things get lifted.
We are the only state that done so many weeks lockdown. Must be something wrong going on as to why us again. Not just the Epping or Epping North stuff up

Back to footy.. Any word if the Cats can play at home as regional?
Wonder if they play 2-3 games a week there and Melb players can bus in and out under guard :) while being in a bubble?
Rotate some teams out of the state and others play in Melb? Prob work for Vic vs Vic games.
Interstate SA let pies in.. not sure other states going to be so nice.
Seems NSW not closing borders so might just play in Sydney and jet up and down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back