Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

I think i'll wait until season starts when the design includes match centers/videos and stats before i pass judgement. But you're right it looks just bad now. What is the fascination with simplifying websites into chunky text and squares of information... unless they go fully minimalist :p Times New Roman on a white background... wouldn't that be nice

I think i'll wait until season starts when the design includes match centers/videos and stats before i pass judgement. But you're right it looks just bad now. What is the fascination with simplifying websites into chunky text and squares of information... unless they go fully minimalist :p Times New Roman on a white background... wouldn't that be nice

User feedback surveys.

You can guarantee they would have got overwhelming feedback of "too complex", "difficult to navigate", "too many calls to action".

The other factor is the increased % of website views on phones, so the new trend is to make the desktop versions reflect the mobile version, rather than the other way around.

we’ve talked about gambling in light of sponsors. This is the best article I’ve read about about how the gambling companies operate and it’s plain wrong.

very briefly they monitor punters and if you win regularly they reduce the size of the bet/win you can make and will eventually ban you if you win more than you lose. if you consistently lose they increase the size of the bet/loss you can make.

It’s a deliberately unfair system that uses the power of maths algorithms and psychology to prey on and manipulate people and that’s what I hate. Poker machines are manipulated the same way. The house always wins and the punters always lose.

The article says the gambling company owner was paid $506 000 000 in income last year. Yep, that’s 506 million dollars coming from a rigged system. in my opinion, that’s immoral and should not be allowed.

Really don’t want my club associated with gambling at any level.

Thanks for posting this mate, was a real eye opener. Pretty shocking tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I see Mark Robinson named his top 50 players of the past decade. Whilst it was a pretty lean period for the Lions, there was no room for any Lions players including Dayne Zorko who’d id have considered a shoe in.

Names to make it include Patrick Cripps (how I have NFI given it is for the past decade), Dan Hannebery (really WTF), Marc Murphy (even more WTF), Robbie Gray and Todd Goldstein amongst others.

No offence to Robbo, but how Zorko doesn’t make it based off all his achievements in a very lowly period is astounding.

I see Mark Robinson named his top 50 players of the past decade. Whilst it was a pretty lean period for the Lions, there was no room for any Lions players including Dayne Zorko who’d id have considered a shoe in.

Names to make it include Patrick Cripps (how I have NFI given it is for the past decade), Dan Hannebery (really WTF), Marc Murphy (even more WTF), Robbie Gray and Todd Goldstein amongst others.

No offence to Robbo, but how Zorko doesn’t make it based off all his achievements in a very lowly period is astounding.

He left out Lachie Neale from his pre-season top 50, IIRC.

I don't think he's very diligent about this stuff.

I generally try and take the journo's side with these lists because I like reading and discussing them and think that, at the end of the day, it is supposed to be a subjective opinion rather than an objective analysis.

So, to put my counsel for the defence hat on, I would state:

- Cripps - 6 seasons at AFL level (101 games). 2 All Australians, and 3 club B&Fs.

- Hannebery - Played all 10 years of the decade (206 games in that period). Premiership player. 1 AFLCA Player of the Year. 3 All Australians. 2 club B&Fs. Rising Star winner.

- Gray - Played all 10 years of the decade (183 games in that period). 1 AFLCA Player of the Year. 4 All Australians. 3 club B&Fs.

- Goldstein - Played all 10 years of the decade (218 games in that period). 1 All Australian. 1 club B&F.

- Zorko - Played 8 years of the decade (168 games). 1 All Australian. 4 club B&Fs.

Looking purely at those arbitrarily chosen "achievements", I think it is very hard to argue the place of Hannebery and Gray on the list. Both were acknowledged as the best player in the comp by the coaches at one point of the decade, both have multiple All Australians and multiple club Best and Fairests.

Cripps' achievements are pretty special but only 6 years in the system is a bit of an issue (and really only played 5 seasons as he only played a few games in his first year). Perhaps the flip side is that it highlights how good he is that he's racked up several club B&Fs and AAs despite only being a senior regular for half the decade. It is also worth noting that Zorko only played 8 years of the decade too so has a similar "asterisk" on his record.

Goldstein - honestly, his record doesn't stack up in terms of achievements. I guess that he has probably been a top 5 ruckman for almost that entire period and so perhaps his performances aren't properly reflected in terms of awards etc. He's also played an awful lot of games in the decade.

So, if I had to put them in a list of "most deserved", I'd have Gray and Hannebery ahead, followed by Cripps/Zorko, with Goldstein less deserving based on these metrics.

Edit: missed Marc Murphy - 1 AFLCA award. 1 AA. 2 club B& Fs. Pretty solid career but doesn't scream top 50!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back