Future Picks: Who should you barrack against?

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it just me that is livid that the Dees might get to play Essendon B? Compromising the competitition!
The Dees game was postponed, that would have been played yesterday 😝 It's Carlton who hope to benefit from playing Essendon's B team next week, and possibly Collingwood the week after, depending on scheduling.

The Dees game was postponed, that would have been played yesterday 😝 It's Carlton who hope to benefit from playing Essendon's B team next week, and possibly Collingwood the week after, depending on scheduling.
Carlton, isn't it?
See you can tell I'm unbiased... couldn't be incompetence.

Round 3, 2020
Round 4, 2020
West Coast continues to woefully underperform, and so Geelong are still making the most mileage out of last year's trade period.

Some other movement as well, with Collingwood doing a bit better after Richmond, North and St Kilda fell down the ladder.

North Melbourne itself continues to have the biggest drop in the value of their future picks, with Melbourne and Essendon still outperforming their 2019 benchmarks despite being a game behind the rest of the competition.

Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 10.13.30 pm.png

Apologies if I’m reading this wrong, but to me that table is measuring the wrong thing.

For example, I doubt North is worried about where Melbourne finished last year compared to where they finish this year. We would be more worried about what we gave up last year compared to what Melbourne will give us this year.

So, the above measures Melbourne’s pick 2 last year against their pick 4 this year, whereas I think it would be better to show North Melbourne’s pick 8 last year against Melbourne’s pick 4 this year.

That seems a better measure I would’ve thought, because teams would trade for future picks based on where they think the other team will finish the next year, not where they finished in the year the trade was done.

Again, apologies if I misread that or if what I suggested is already listed elsewhere. Cheers.

Apologies if I’m reading this wrong, but to me that table is measuring the wrong thing.

For example, I doubt North is worried about where Melbourne finished last year compared to where they finish this year. We would be more worried about what we gave up last year compared to what Melbourne will give us this year.

So, the above measures Melbourne’s pick 2 last year against their pick 4 this year, whereas I think it would be better to show North Melbourne’s pick 8 last year against Melbourne’s pick 4 this year.

That seems a better measure I would’ve thought, because teams would trade for future picks based on where they think the other team will finish the next year, not where they finished in the year the trade was done.

Again, apologies if I misread that or if what I suggested is already listed elsewhere. Cheers.
This thread is more of a one stop shop for future pick discussions on the main trade board, with the more in-depth discussions in the Wash Up sub-forum where there are dedicated threads for all of the past trades.

Future pick trades are not usually as simple as pick 8 for a future first in a straight swap, so it would be very complicated or even impossible to analyse everything and come to a single value for each club without relying on some sort of objective information.

The 2019 value column is more just there to give context anyway. Perhaps over time comparing last week to this week will be more interesting than comparing it to last year, but it’s still early in the season at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back