State of Origin Game 1 thread - melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

no doubt, but i've never seen anyone sin binned or sent off for having the intent or trying to hit someone in the head..... ever

Whoever hit Steve Price got sent off (forget the name off the top of my head)

Whoever hit Steve Price got sent off (forget the name off the top of my head)

hit being the word... who'd jenning hit?? he air swung

Well then its no use saying 'I've never seen anyone get sent off...for contact with the head...ever'

??? i still haven't seen anyone sent off for trying to hit someone... whether someone attempted to hit craig greenhill or not doesn't change the fact of whether i saw it or not.... cause i didn't. his last origin game was 2000.

Google it. Craig Greenhill. Most rugby league fans would know this name for this exact reason

google it... it works well for software design... not so much for obscure origin incidents before the proper digital age

Pretty sure he did connect, albeit in a minor way. He deserved 10 in the bin at the LEAST. I always say this...."never give the referee (or umpire) the option". This means, that if Jennings came in and just pulled people off each other, he would not have been binned, but because he went beyond what a NORMAL reaction would be, he gave the referee the option, as harsh as it may seem.

good game i thought.
disappointed with the inglis try decision but ultimately i think qld deserved to win.
farah proved tonight that he is certainly made for origin.
tate is a deadset legend, and this is coming from a nsw supporter.

Jennings ran 40 metres to be involved in that. That sort of stuff incites massive all-ins and he was right to be sent off.
Inglis' try was a no-try in my opinion. Farah came in with the boot, but Inglis had dropped it stone cold before then. They didn't even check the grounding which I found astonishing. They went through so many replays and then didn't check the grounding at the end of it all.
From a neutral's perspective, it was a disappointing game last night. I don't think it ever reached any great heights as a spectacle although Slater said afterwards it was the quickest game he has played in.
Refereeing was inexperienced and contributed to the poor spectacle. Am I right in saying both refs had a combined total of 1 SOO between them? It showed.

Edit: grounding was fine and clear cut.

Should have awarded Inglis a penalty try anyway,nowhere on any field can you kick a ball out of a players hands,Farrah knew he did not have a play at the ball by hand so he kicked it out instead,penalty try any day of the week.

It will be on you tube by now go and watch it and then tell us if you think that Farrah had any chance of stopping the try by legal play.

Refereeing was disgraceful, no wonder QLD have won 6 series in a row...

As for the try, only seen replays at the ground but on one angle it appeared the ball clearly bounced off Inglis arm after it was kicked out of his hands so either its a knock on or a penalty try for an illegal kick in the first place

Had great fun sitting in the NSW fan section, man they went off at that decision then the ******** QLD fan who ran onto the field to taunt them, damn did he cop a pelting and no doubt another belting downstairs ;)

BTW thought it was a bit arrogant of the QLD players to start taunting the NSW fans after the game...

At least it gives NSW an excuse as usual. They had all the ball and all the territory and managed two tries from kicks and QLD errors. They were lucky to not have Jennings sent off also. Not sure they've got much to complain about. They had us on the rack when they decided to kick for goal and miss. They missed their first try conversion, where we kicked two from the sideline. Carney failed to fund touch from a penalty. But it's the ref's fault, yeah lets go with that. Typical

(Log in to remove this ad.)

??? i still haven't seen anyone sent off for trying to hit someone... whether someone attempted to hit craig greenhill or not doesn't change the fact of whether i saw it or not.... cause i didn't. his last origin game was 2000.

google it... it works well for software design... not so much for obscure origin incidents before the proper digital age

Did you watch the game last night? He connected squarely with Tate's head.

Jennings ran 40 metres to be involved in that. That sort of stuff incites massive all-ins and he was right to be sent off.

and yet, Manly/Storm brawl last year, 4 manly players run 50m to lay into Blair. Started an All in Brawl including those on the Bench. Result: None of the 4 get sent off. It could have gone either way.

At least it gives NSW an excuse as usual. They had all the ball and all the territory and managed two tries from kicks and QLD errors. They were lucky to not have Jennings sent off also. Not sure they've got much to complain about. They had us on the rack when they decided to kick for goal and miss. They missed their first try conversion, where we kicked two from the sideline. Carney failed to fund touch from a penalty. But it's the ref's fault, yeah lets go with that. Typical
Yeah, a clear no-try given as a try isnt worth complaining about, ****ing idiot.

The Jennings sin bin was fine. Penalising Greg Bird for putting a player on his back was pretty soft. Letting Queensland get away with taking players out on kick chases was woeful.

NSW definately had their chances though, they played quite well. Robbie Farah showed why he should've been there for the last two series. Hayne and Bird, regardless of how s**t their clubs are going, step up for NSW.

Rather than blaming the video ref, perhaps NSW can direct some attention towards Jennings, who halted all the momentum they had in the first 20 minutes. After Jennings got himself sent off, it settled the game down and Queensland was able to wrest back the initiative.

no doubt, but i've never seen anyone sin binned or sent off for having the intent or trying to hit someone in the head..... ever

I'm pretty sure he did connect. Wally Lewis was sent to bin for running in as the third man in '88 which led to the infamous beer can's throwing incidence. Sin bin was justified. It was a swinging right hook. Geez. Can't ignore stuff like that. Much different then a couple of guys going toe to toe.

It was a try. Farrah's foot was raised and knocked the ball out. Simple.

Some points from the game:

NSW blew it when they opted to go for goal 40 out instead of putting pressure on QLD. Dumb call by Gallen.

Hayne was one of NSW's most dangerous players after Uate. I think he's wasted a little on the wing. Centre maybe but I'd put him at fullback. Big call, but bye bye Stewart. NSW need attack. Not safe.

Glen Stewart? Most useless Blues forward ever.

Opening 20 was intense. Fast. Blues offloaded often in tackles. Looking pretty good. But lost the plot in 2nd half by running one out too often.

No direction in attack from Blues when they needed it.

QLD at times looked very ordinary too. Maybe some new combinations with Cronk there. But will only improve. Worrying for NSW.

Refs need to relax a little. Bird's penalty was a little harsh. In the old days that was a great tackle.

Game 2 in Sydney will be a ripper.

Section 6 is on scoring.

I might be missing something, but this is the only thing that I saw that might be relevant:

"Penalty try (d) the Referee may award a penalty try if, in his
opinion, a try would have been scored but for the
unfair play of the defending team. A penalty try is
awarded between the goal posts irrespective of
where the offence occurred."

But this didn't happen.

Definite try to Inglis. Even if he didn't regather, it would have been a penalty try. Farrah is a grub, led with his foot while it was in someone's hands, deserved what he got.

That was the best refereed Origin in a long, long time. Matt Cechin is an excellent referee who never lets the players or the situation get to him. Not afraid to blow penalties or take action against NSW's sheer grubbiness, like what we've seen with Hayne and Archer the last few years. Sin-bin call on Jennnings was spot on. Was refereed like a real game of rugby league and not in some imaginary land where special rules for Origin exist.

Already knew Gallen was scum, but the way he thought he could intimidate the referees by constantly pointing out they were new to Origin was just laughable. Absolute waste of oxygen is he is.

lolworthy. So Ricky "won't be commenting on any decision in regards to referees tonight", but gets around that by saying that in a private conversation, Harrigan said that all 3 decisions should have gone NSW's way. :rolleyes:

Maybe Bill also told Ricky that NSW deserved to win all of the last 6 series.

For mine, Bird - penalty, Smith - no penalty, Inglis - no try.

Definite try to Inglis. Even if he didn't regather, it would have been a penalty try. Farrah is a grub, led with his foot while it was in someone's hands, deserved what he got.

That was the best refereed Origin in a long, long time. Matt Cechin is an excellent referee who never lets the players or the situation get to him. Not afraid to blow penalties or take action against NSW's sheer grubbiness, like what we've seen with Hayne and Archer the last few years. Sin-bin call on Jennnings was spot on. Was refereed like a real game of rugby league and not in some imaginary land where special rules for Origin exist.

Already knew Gallen was scum, but the way he thought he could intimidate the referees by constantly pointing out they were new to Origin was just laughable. Absolute waste of oxygen is he is.
Of course you loved it, especially as they ignored all the grubby plays by QLD players and all their illegal tactics

Its no wonder they have won so many series when they bring their own refs

I thought with the exception of the video ref (inglis try) the refereeing was good. Most other calls were correct. I still think we would have won without the inglis try though obviously can't be sure of this.

NSW had a good chance to win it but for some inexplicable reason Carney opted for the 2 points from 40m on an angle.

this.
nsw had ample opportunity to win the game but lost due to fundamental errors:

- todd carney failing to find touch
- mitchell pearce handing the ball over to cameron smith
- gallen opting to have a shot at goal rather than continue attacking

on the otherhand:

- jennings' haymaker was a sin-binning any day of the week - if the shoe was on the other foot and it was justin hodges who had jumped over the pack to snot hayne one, the nsw fans would be baying for his blood.
- bird's tackle on cronk was borderline at best and i think still deserved a penalty; there should be nothing even close to spear-tackling in the game. again, if it were sam thaiday slamming mitchell pearce the nsw fans would be going berserk.
- i wouldn't have awarded inglis a try, personally, but it was a 50-50 call and i can see why it was awarded.

as i said before, overall it was an enjoyable game and i think nsw have showed enough to be extremely positive going into game two.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back