Garry Lyon & Tim Watson: "Carlton aren't a big four club anymore."

Who should take Carlton's place in the big four?

• West Coast

Votes: 121 23.7%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 30 5.9%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 267 52.3%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 15 2.9%
  • Fremantle

Votes: 28 5.5%
  • Geelong

Votes: 23 4.5%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 27 5.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Richmond 616,000
2. Essendon 559,000
3. Collingwood 515,000
4. Adelaide 513,000
5. Carlton 421,000
6. Port Adelaide 419,000
7. West Coast 404,000
8. Melbourne 393,000

That's your top 8 in home attendances.

WA teams disadvantaged because of the 41k capacity constraint at Subi. The derbies will have 60k each this year in the new stadium, plus also crowds will be higher generally as folk realise they can just rock up and get a good seat.

My club is top 4 and knows all the best words!

iu

There can be a pretty big 5 if they want. As of next year West Coast will be the big 1.

Profits, memberships, bums on seats will blow every other club out of the water.

Either is Essendon

Without this years flag Richmond wouldn't be either.

Rubbish and rubbish.

Both sides have maintained consistently high attendances over the long haul despite a lack of success (up until the Tigers flag).

I'd buckle up if I were you sunshine, if the Hawks 2018 goes as I expect it will, you'll find out soon enough just how inflated your clubs sense of self actually was.

still went to us over other clubs, ditto caddy and nank

Because the real clubs didn't want a bar of them!

Rubbish and rubbish.

Both sides have maintained consistently high attendances over the long haul despite a lack of success (up until the Tigers flag).

I'd buckle up if I were you sunshine, if the Hawks 2018 goes as I expect it will, you'll find out soon enough just how inflated your clubs sense of self actually was.

Wow that escalated quickly - a club isn't successful just because they are able to put a lot of bums on seats...........

Hawthorn will rebound, they proved they were capable after a slow start ;)

Its about general support and power in Melbourne/Victoria. Big 4 hasnt changed.

Carlton have certainly fallen well behind their traditional peers in this regard.

A middle-tier club nowadays, and I think it unlikely that will change in the near future.

I don't want Hawthorn in the big 4, it just seems to involve endless bleating about crowds and how a team from 40 years ago was great as if it has any relevance to an interstate club, or indeed anyone young.

Carlton may have issues with fans attending but it's not like they won't be back on the bandwagon when they win anyway, big surprise with the two pundits that brought this up.

One bitter s**t slinger and the most biased pundit in the league whether it has to do with his club or its rivals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

in a sport full of useless terms that might have meant something 40 years ago but mean nothing now, this is the stupidest
Shhhhh, Hawthorn are looking forward to being invited into this imaginary club where they can meet at the imaginary Big 4 clubhouse and discuss imaginary Big 4 stuff.

Regular Season Home Attendance

1. Richmond (10)
2. Essendon (9)
3. Collingwood (8)
4. Adelaide (7)
5. Carlton (6)
6. Port Adelaide (5)
7. West Coast (4)
8. Melbourne (3)
9. Geelong (2)
10. Sydney (1)

Membership

1. Collingwood (10)
2. Hawthorn (9)
3. Richmond (8)
4. Essendon (7)
5. West Coast (6)
6. Sydney (5)
7. Adelaide (4)
8. Geelong (3)
9. Port Adelaide (2)
10. Fremantle (1)

Roy Morgan Support Survey

1. Sydney (10)
2. Essendon (9)
3. West Coast (8)
4. Collingwood (7)
5. Adelaide (6)
6. Hawthorn (5)
7. Geelong (4)
8. Brisbane (3)
9. Carlton (2)
10. Fremantle (1)

Combined Totals

1. Collingwood (25)
-. Essendon (25)
3. Richmond (18)
-. West Coast (18)
----------------------------
5. Adelaide (17)
6. Sydney (16)

7. Hawthorn (14)*
8. Geelong (9)
9. Carlton (8)
10. Port Adelaide (7)
11. Melbourne (3)
-. Brisbane (3)
13. Fremantle (2)

All others - N/A

So West Coast has replaced them if you're looking at all clubs, and Hawthorn has replaced them if you're looking just at Victorian clubs. The numbers look more like a big 7 with a giant 2.

Geez this "big 4" s**t does my head in.

The term "big 4" is used to describe Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond and Carlton, from when they were the biggest 4 clubs in the land.
They will always and forever be the "big 4." That doesn't automatically make them the top 4 clubs in the AFL. (Carlton and Essendon clearly aren't)

If you don't support one of these sides, yet think your side should be referred to as a "big 4" club, get over your inferiority complex.
what he said

Hey brah, Garry Lyon discussed it and he's a Melbourne man. You should probably research things before you comment on them.

Garry Lyon is a media guy. Media guys talk about anything and everything that will get them some sort of attention. Do you not understand opinion pieces?

You are a special category of dumb.

For some reason our overall support is not reflected in our membership numbers. It's an issue that the club must address because we are somewhat falling behind. Eventually the promise of the future does not hook fans in.

Carlton is still very much a large club in both support and presence in the game. We have just struggled to convert it into numbers and success.

2017 crowds

1. Richmond 1,024,751
2. Essendon 1,019,757
3. Collingwood 1,003,991
4. Carlton 873,618

https://afltables.com/afl/crowds/2017.html

The Big Four lives.
you chose the numbers for both Home and away instead of just for Home or even home averages. You were being funny right?

Watch West Coast top that list in the next two years with our new 60K seat stadium.

Back