Traded Gary Ablett [traded to Geelong]

Remove this Banner Ad

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
So there's a few people out there in the media discussing the Ablett return to Geelong. Hutchy has been big on it and Scott made it clear he'd like him back at Geelong.
What are people's thoughts? Personally I think he'll stay at GC. But if he goes anywhere it'll be Geelong. What would he be worth in a trade?

On Footy Classified he pretty much made it clear he'd have him back.
As opposed to saying: 'No, I'd object to that'?

I heard him discuss it on AFL 360 and he referred to it as a pipe dream but said that if Ablett and the Suns wanted to do it and Geelong's list management team thought it made sense, then he wouldn't argue against it.

That hardly amounts to him being keen enough on the idea to actively pursue it.

No one is going to bend over backwards to recruit a guy who'll be 33 in May.

As opposed to saying: 'No, I'd object to that'?

I heard him discuss it on AFL 360 and he referred to it as a pipe dream but said that if Ablett and the Suns wanted to do it and Geelong's list management team thought it made sense, then he wouldn't argue against it.

That hardly amounts to him being keen enough on the idea to actively pursue it.

No one is going to bend over backwards to recruit a guy who'll be 33 in May.
I didn't see him on 360. Anyway he seemed pretty happy about it on Classified.
It's not really the point of the thread anyway.

so, if i was Gold Coast and this was to happen you would want some decent returns.
Ablett, Danger, Selwood = a midfield that can deliver Geelong a flag.
They may lose Prestia and Omeara this year as well. That's their 3 best mids.

Picks are pointless (given what they currently hold) and cattle would be essential.

As much as the media will talk about it the reality is he is on too much money for us to fit in the cap unless we trade players out and his age and injury status makes it too risky for us to do it for anything other than late picks or fringe players and why would gc do that? Wont happen.

Well if Sam Mitchell can go for pick 88, then anything is possible.
If he really wanted out, surely this would have come out at trade time and not after

Is GC really making Steven May captain?

If yes, they're going nowhere fast. That sniper simply can't be trusted to drive their culture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whole story is nothing more than a Melbourne media beat up

How is it a media beat up if they are reporting a fact?

If Ablett requested a trade to return home to Geelong, it is not a "media beat up".

On Nexus 6P using BigFooty.com mobile app

lipton-tea-city-of-animals.jpg

Cats reportedly in no position to get Ablett due to salary cap constraints even after offloading Caddy, Kersten and Vardy. Missed on Deledio as well.

The Dangerfield contract obviously causing issues with their cap.

Cats reportedly in no position to get Ablett due to salary cap constraints even after offloading Caddy, Kersten and Vardy. Missed on Deledio as well.

The Dangerfield contract obviously causing issues with their cap.

Geelong could have and probably would have moved on a few more players to try and make room.

But the afl will block any move for another 2 years until he is out of contract they need him there for the PR so its all irrelevant really.

I blame that evil Guy McKenna

Remove this Banner Ad

Back