Traded Gary Ablett [traded to Geelong]

Remove this Banner Ad

Rocket's final year this year, so it is sink or swim for him, and what he seems to have done behind the scenes at the club, cleaning up the club and sorting out the issues that were plaguing it. I hope the blokes rally for him and we can have a good year, most of the blokes we wanted to have already re-signed which is great to see.

I would like this year to move away from the reliance on Ablett, with his shoulder we don't know if he will play 22 games, and we should just treat it more as a bonus if we can get a full season out of him near his best... and what a bonus it would be.

Rocket's final year this year, so it is sink or swim for him, and what he seems to have done behind the scenes at the club, cleaning up the club and sorting out the issues that were plaguing it. I hope the blokes rally for him and we can have a good year, most of the blokes we wanted to have already re-signed which is great to see.

I would like this year to move away from the reliance on Ablett, with his shoulder we don't know if he will play 22 games, and we should just treat it more as a bonus if we can get a full season out of him near his best... and what a bonus it would be.

We were in a similar boat adrift a few years ago under watters.

If rocket doesnt demonstrate the players would walk over hot coals for him, they should cut him loose asap.

Getting the right coach for a particular playing group is critical.
Doesn't need to be the best coach available- just the best fit available.

If gc get a better injury run they'll be much improved this year

Lack of cap space is not a problem for gc.

They just filled prestia and jaeger sized holes with free to a good home michael barlow.

You have to spend 95% on somebody, may as well be gaz
But we also signed Wright and Miller to healthier contracts.
Jack Martin to sign another 2 years as well..

But we also signed Wright and Miller to healthier contracts.
Jack Martin to sign another 2 years as well..

Yeah but you also flooded your list with extra 1st year players on peanuts for 2 years.
Those savings would more than cover any pay bumps to martin miller etc.

Hanley would be on ok money but nothing out of the ordinary.

Still leaving most if not all the big money prestia and/or jaeger were offered

The sheer amount of young players and lack of experienced valuable players means you're probably frontloading contracts for guys like wright etc just to reach the 95% mark.

Yeah but you also flooded your list with extra 1st year players on peanuts for 2 years.
Those savings would more than cover any pay bumps to martin miller etc.

Hanley would be on ok money but nothing out of the ordinary.

Still leaving most if not all the big money prestia and/or jaeger were offered

The sheer amount of young players and lack of experienced valuable players means you're probably frontloading contracts for guys like wright etc just to reach the 95% mark.

Most of the new guys coming in replaced our fringe players who Id say would have not been on much anyway.
Tape
Russell
Stanley
Schade
Brookesby

But i do agree we would have a bit in the kitty hopefully try and lure a big fish.
Not as much as you think though!

Lack of cap space is not a problem for gc.

They just filled prestia and jaeger sized holes with free to a good home michael barlow.

You have to spend 95% on somebody, may as well be gaz

All depends who you are trying to land and who else you want to keep. Ablett is near the end GC have to think of the future ... ;)

Ablett and Gold Coast could easily mutually part ways at the end of this season.

I think it's highly likely to be the case.
It won't be GC suggesting it though.

And it certainly wont be GC suggesting it so they can open up some cap space.

Im told it could be mutual, GC wanted Ablett for 1 more year to educate their "kids" ... next year the have a few big targets in their sights and they need every cent they can in their salary cap if they are going to land them.

Ablett has lost a lot of the goodwill he used to have, I feel.

An awesome footballer and one of those rare players who was a bridge away from even really good players. But his behaviour recently is petulant - he's wanted everything and has taken the money without actually dedicating himself to the cause. Very galling when not once did he admit money or 'lifestyle' or some buzz term allured him to the Gold Coast Suns.

If he knuckled down, said the right things, and rode off into the bright sunset of the Goldy he'd be talked up forever. Now he just looks like a sook and another cash hungry a-hole mercenary.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ablett has lost a lot of the goodwill he used to have, I feel.

An awesome footballer and one of those rare players who was a bridge away from even really good players. But his behaviour recently is petulant - he's wanted everything and has taken the money without actually dedicating himself to the cause. Very galling when not once did he admit money or 'lifestyle' or some buzz term allured him to the Gold Coast Suns.

If he knuckled down, said the right things, and rode off into the bright sunset of the Goldy he'd be talked up forever. Now he just looks like a sook and another cash hungry a-hole mercenary.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm sure this has really cut him to the core.

How can you say he hasn't given his all on the GC?

Bloke has been injured, they've failed to build a winning team around him, he's got every right to want out. Just utter sensationalist bullshit from you.

I'm sure this has really cut him to the core.

How can you say he hasn't given his all on the GC?

Bloke has been injured, they've failed to build a winning team around him, he's got every right to want out. Just utter sensationalist bullshit from you.
What?

I think it's a bit rich. He's gone up there with the money and simply for the money. And fair enough – dude had won everything there was to and could live out the rest of his career making awesome money while changing up the scenery, having less pressure on wins and a different approach to football. No worries.

Inevitably their trading and drafting isn't too impressive, guys like O'Meara and Martin and whoever else are perma-injured, and good footballers leave.

It'll be the best thing if they get him out of there. He's infected the playing group with some sort of god squad and there were rumours of a divide based on that. I think he was their focal point and it is very, very obvious he isn't a captain's a-hole. The guy doesn't conform to any sort of leadership ideal or role – he doesn't rally everyone up and inspire them with toughness, he isn't the larrikin who can get his cohort on side through his personality and charisma and decency... what is he? He goes on holidays mid-season; he literally goes missing.

How does him being injured, ie being paid to essentially do nothing but go on his flog basketball mini-holidays, give him more rights to leave? If he had played 20 games every season up there you'd be onto something: the Suns had gotten what they wanted from him, as much as possible. But that isn't the case.

His legacy up there ain't one. Warwick Capper did more to get people's attention in a non-footy city than he did. He is an awesome player, for sure, but I can tell you that Billy Slater being a really good rugby player for the Storm makes about as much influential difference on rocking up to games and getting into the sport, as the Honey Badger did for being a unique unit did at the Force. You need a personality and someone great in the media, someone bold and interesting looking and unique... they need to be okay on the field too, but they also need to be a larger than life personality, especially in a smaller town like the Gold Coast. I just don't think old Gablett and his deadshit, fake, false, smug Aussie cricketer-like personality did that. He's media trained and dull as *.

Fail all around.

I just think it's a ******* dog act to take the money but then when the new club goes to s**t, go back to your old club and try and connive a trade when you're contracted. It stinks a bit.

And I'm someone who has no issue with free agency and have no issue with Dangerfield leaving and can understand it if Fyfe leaves as well. But it's a bit scungey to do a Gablett.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What?

I think it's a bit rich. He's gone up there with the money and simply for the money. And fair enough – dude had won everything there was to and could live out the rest of his career making awesome money while changing up the scenery, having less pressure on wins and a different approach to football. No worries.

Inevitably their trading and drafting isn't too impressive, guys like O'Meara and Martin and whoever else are perma-injured, and good footballers leave.

It'll be the best thing if they get him out of there. He's infected the playing group with some sort of god squad and there were rumours of a divide based on that. I think he was their focal point and it is very, very obvious he isn't a captain's a-hole. The guy doesn't conform to any sort of leadership ideal or role – he doesn't rally everyone up and inspire them with toughness, he isn't the larrikin who can get his cohort on side through his personality and charisma and decency... what is he? He goes on holidays mid-season; he literally goes missing.

How does him being injured, ie being paid to essentially do nothing but go on his flog basketball mini-holidays, give him more rights to leave? If he had played 20 games every season up there you'd be onto something: the Suns had gotten what they wanted from him, as much as possible. But that isn't the case.

His legacy up there ain't one. Warwick Capper did more to get people's attention in a non-footy city than he did. He is an awesome player, for sure, but I can tell you that Billy Slater being a really good rugby player for the Storm makes about as much influential difference on rocking up to games and getting into the sport, as the Honey Badger did for being a unique unit did at the Force. You need a personality and someone great in the media, someone bold and interesting looking and unique... they need to be okay on the field too, but they also need to be a larger than life personality, especially in a smaller town like the Gold Coast. I just don't think old Gablett and his deadshit, fake, false, smug Aussie cricketer-like personality did that. He's media trained and dull as ****.

Fail all around.

I just think it's a ******* dog act to take the money but then when the new club goes to s**t, go back to your old club and try and connive a trade when you're contracted. It stinks a bit.

And I'm someone who has no issue with free agency and have no issue with Dangerfield leaving and can understand it if Fyfe leaves as well. But it's a bit scungey to do a Gablett.

Wow glad to know you're on the inside of the club and know exactly what is going on.

I'll come to you for all my future football news.

Chris Tarrant a similar scungey character I take it? Peter Bell?

How much is Ablett going to cost us next year? Would much rather Fyfe or Bont.

According to new CEO Mark Evans yesterday he is 100% staying at the Suns.

Mrs Ablett may have to persuade him to retire if she wants to get back to Melbourne in 2018.

With Silent Alarm on this one. Gary Ablett hasn't really covered himself in glory the last couple of years. Carried the team in the first year or three but has been basically anonymous since getting injured.

He's been criticised for taking time off during the season, starting pre-season late, being anonymous when players were being punished for breaking team drinking rules during the season, warming up by himself away from the playing group, not playing with injections etc. Not a great read.

Obviously footy is full of opinions and just because someone levels critcism doesn't make it valid, but when critics start seeing smoke over a period there's usually fire. For a fledgling club in a new market you'd really like to see more from Ablett, especially for $2m a year of AFL coin. Can you imagine Hodge or Riewoldt or Selwood in his position buggering off mid season?

With Silent Alarm on this one. Gary Ablett hasn't really covered himself in glory the last couple of years. Carried the team in the first year or three but has been basically anonymous since getting injured.

He's been criticised for taking time off during the season, starting pre-season late, being anonymous when players were being punished for breaking team drinking rules during the season, warming up by himself away from the playing group, not playing with injections etc. Not a great read.

Obviously footy is full of opinions and just because someone levels critcism doesn't make it valid, but when critics start seeing smoke over a period there's usually fire. For a fledgling club in a new market you'd really like to see more from Ablett, especially for $2m a year of AFL coin. Can you imagine Hodge or Riewoldt or Selwood in his position buggering off mid season?

The reality is that Ablett was never real AFL club captain material. He's better than the rest of his family, but even for him, discipline toward preparation has been an issue he's been pulled up on. Only the captain because he was such a good player and they had no one else, which is really no reason to make someone a leader.

I don't think it's as simple as "Mitchell went for nothing so will Gary".

Hawks wanted Mitchell out. So badly that they are still paying some of his wage.

If Gold Coast don't want him to go then I can't imagine them giving him away.

But I'm not saying they will realistically want a top 30 pick. Just that they will want something of some value.

Suns should cut the entitled little campaigner out. Been a bit of a misstep and waste of time for the Suns. Maybe renewing for a second contract was the dumb idea and him there for the first five was smart, but hey, hindsight and that.

Still don't like the guy at all.

I don't think it's as simple as "Mitchell went for nothing so will Gary".

Hawks wanted Mitchell out. So badly that they are still paying some of his wage.

If Gold Coast don't want him to go then I can't imagine them giving him away.

But I'm not saying they will realistically want a top 30 pick. Just that they will want something of some value.

They will want it but i don't think its likely they will get it.

In reality ablett retiring at the end of this year is the most likely outcome i think.

Suns should cut the entitled little campaigner out. Been a bit of a misstep and waste of time for the Suns. Maybe renewing for a second contract was the dumb idea and him there for the first five was smart, but hey, hindsight and that.

Still don't like the guy at all.
Let's be honest, up until 2014 Ablett was the best player in the game, this included winning a Brownlow while playing for GC

Unfortunately GC has incredibly mismanaged their list and their draft picks which is why they are an absoloute shittruck of a club. This isn't GAJ's fault, and now that he is reaching his football mortality he obviously sees no future of success with the Suns.

I said it at the time and I'll say it again, GAJ will always regret leaving Geelong. Having said that, if we can get him in low dollars for an insignificant pick I'd be more than happy to have him at Geelong. His old man played til 36, including kicking 120 goals 3 seasons in a row as a 33, 34 and 35 year old.

Put a gun to GC's head with that interview.

Should have just said I will be traded or I will retire...would make the relationship untenable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back