Traded Gary Ablett [traded to Geelong]

Remove this Banner Ad

I would be flabbergasted if they weren't lookng to bring him in. They'll win another premiership with him if he can stay fit.
Maybe, although you can fall off the cliff very quickly at his age. Anyway there is no way the Suns should keep him, you don't want a player at your club that doesn't want to be there.

Cats will part with their second rounder IMO, whether GWS accept it is a different matter, Cats paying overs but it's well worth it IMO.
GWS would be ecstatic to get a second round pick for someone else's player. :D

It comes down to who wants to pay his contract, I know we won't want to pay half of it for him to play elsewhere
We would take the last year of his deal @ 700k ish and spread it over 2 years.

But Tony ******** has to accept a late Rd3 pick for him. Anything else is dreaming. And his latest bout of not playing will not help his value hold up.

We have a senior list spot open so adding a senior player does not necessarily force another one out pre se in terms of list spaces, but the SC stuff is the issue there.

Go Catters

We would take the last year of his deal @ 700k ish and spread it over 2 years.

But Tony ******** has to accept a late Rd3 pick for him. Anything else is dreaming. And his latest bout of not playing will not help his value hold up.

We have a senior list spot open so adding a senior player does not necessarily force another one out pre se in terms of list spaces, but the SC stuff is the issue there.

Go Catters

I think you're the one dreaming here mate. Lids went for a 1st rounder last year, there is no way Ablett is going for a 3rd just because the Cats don't have any better picks to offer. Despite his age and injuries Ablett is elite when he is on the field.

The Cats will need to give something more than a token pick and the Suns showed with Prestia and Omera last year that they will make you pay what they think is fair or you risk losing him to another team.

He will be a similar age to Sam Mitchell when he was traded to the Eagles so trade could look something like this-

Geelong get- Gary Ablett Jnr and 2 of Gold Coasts picks in the 40s-50s.

Gold Coast get- 2 of Geelongs picks in the 60s + upload_2017-8-10_16-43-25.jpeg

I think you're the one dreaming here mate. Lids went for a 1st rounder last year, there is no way Ablett is going for a 3rd just because the Cats don't have any better picks to offer. Despite his age and injuries Ablett is elite when he is on the field.

The Cats will need to give something more than a token pick and the Suns showed with Prestia and Omera last year that they will make you pay what they think is fair or you risk losing him to another team.

Then he'll stay on their list and chew up SC space - but he wont be playing up there. He's got all kinds of personal s**t that needs him closer to home - and no other AFL club can provide that.

IF GCS want to sabre rattle - then have at it. And we'll have pick 20 or so - and that sure as hell wont go to them for GAJ.

And I agree he's elite when hes on the field. And there's only one home field he wants to play on. :cool:

GO Catters

No rudeness against you intended but deledio went to gws for a 1st rounder because geelong's list manager didn't want to trade a 1st rounder for an injury prone 29yo (nothing against deledio either btw). What logic is there therefore in thinking the same person will trade a top 30 pick for an injury prone 33yo? It makes no sense at all.

If the suns want ablett to retire (which is what will happen if there is no trade IMO) i have no problem with them exercising that right at all but they will be disappointed if they are expecting geelong to trade anything significant. If we were going to do that we would have done it last year with him another 12 months older and more injuries there is zero chance we will trade much this year.

They will get an offer of a token pick swap (eg a 3rd rounder or say 32 for ablett and 40) or a fringe player and it will be up to them what they do.

Then he'll stay on their list and chew up SC space - but he wont be playing up there. He's got all kinds of personal s**t that needs him closer to home - and no other AFL club can provide that.

IF GCS want to sabre rattle - then have at it. And we'll have pick 20 or so - and that sure as hell wont go to them for GAJ.

And I agree he's elite when hes on the field. And there's only one home field he wants to play on. :cool:

GO Catters

They sabre rattled aplenty last year though it didn't do em much good.....Cochrane blinked in the end, as we all knew he would.....Though I didn't hear one skerrick of protestation at them losing Prestia to the Tigers.....Funny that.

Trading Motlop should get the deal done I'd imagine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree and if i was a Cats supporter i wouldn't be in favour of getting Ablett either imo.
I'm just sick of all this " Suns owe Ablett a return to Geelong" rubbish.
Suns owe him SFA, Gary has being paid a pretty penny and he actually owes the club by seeing out his contract

I'm just sick of all this " Suns owe Ablett a return to Geelong" rubbish.
Suns owe him SFA, Gary has being paid a pretty penny and he actually owes the club by seeing out his contract

I don't actually disagree with that FWIW but that's not Geelong's problem and we shouldn't be trading anything of value for him.

They sabre rattled aplenty last year though it didn't do em much good.....Cochrane blinked in the end, as we all knew he would.....Though I didn't hear one skerrick of protestation at them losing Prestia to the Tigers.....Funny that.

Motlop is a free agent

Ask most of the Suns fans on here, we were wishing nothing but the best with Prestia cause he was open and honest the whole way through the process about his intentions. Absolute ripper bloke as well. Hopefully for his sake, Richmond go far into September this year.

Jaeger on the other hand...

Ask most of the Suns fans on here, we were wishing nothing but the best with Prestia cause he was open and honest the whole way through the process about his intentions. Absolute ripper bloke as well. Hopefully for his sake, Richmond go far into September this year.

Jaeger on the other hand...

And yet.....Still the same result in the end, in spite of all of Cochrane's huffing, puffing, tub & chest thumping.

All he succeeded in doing in the end, was in costing your club 2 early second round picks....In effect, cutting off his own club's nose to spite his own face......And alls it did was to profit St.Kilda at your own club's expense......What a Di##-head.

And yet.....Still the same result in the end, in spite of all of Cochrane's huffing, puffing, tub & chest thumping.

All he succeeded in doing in the end, was in costing your club 2 early second round picks....In effect, cutting off his own club's nose to spite his own face......And alls it did was to profit St.Kilda at your own club's expense......What a Di##-head.
What should we have done instead in your opinion?

What should we have done instead in your opinion?

Hawthorn have the reputation as the best & fairest club to deal with at the trade table....We always pay overs to get the deal done....Cochrane showed his complete football naivete & utter contempt for our club with his ridiculous media grandstanding.....It's one thing to hold out for the best deal.....Quite another to s**t all over an opposition club in the media & your own club by playing it deuces wild at both our expenses.

What should he of done?.....Left it to those who know the system, to get the job done in the best interests of all party's involved:...As Marcus Ashcroft intimated....It was Cochrane alone who stymied what could have otherwise been a good deal for both of us.....Instead you missed out on 2 extra reasonable picks & a player because of his stupid, twisted games.

What a cretin.

IMO....Getting rid of Ablett would be the best thing that your club could do.....You need to start developing an even list from the ground up, or you'll never get anywhere with quickie style fixes.....Getting rid of McKenna was just plain dumb.

Hawthorn have the reputation as the best & fairest club to deal with at the trade table....We always pay overs to get the deal done....Cochrane showed his complete football naivete & utter contempt for our club with his ridiculous media grandstanding.....It's one thing to hold out for the best deal.....Quite another to s**t all over an opposition club in the media & your own club by playing it deuces wild at both our expenses.

What should he of done?.....Left it to those who know the system, to get the job done in the best interests of all party's involved:...As Marcus Ashcroft intimated....It was Cochrane alone who stymied what could have otherwise been a good deal for both of us.....Instead you missed out on 2 extra reasonable picks & a player because of his stupid, twisted games.

What a cretin.

IMO....Getting rid of Ablett would be the best thing that your club could do.....You need to start developing an even list from the ground up, or you'll never get anywhere with quickie style fixes.....Getting rid of McKenna was just plain dumb.
If you watched Eade's interview tonight, he was talking about how much of a state the club was in when he got there, how the club was a mess, unprofessionalism etc. That all happened on Mckenna's watch, whether he turned a blind eye or was just not aware of it. That falls with him, as well as Marcus Ashcroft, who I think will probably be out of a job come years end IMO.

As far as Cochrane, I am probably one of the few who isn't a massive, massive fan of his, and think that last year it looked amateurish at times what he was doing. But, the guy legitimately cares for the club, something we don't really have. No one champions us, no one talks about us, we don't have a voice. Rightly or wrongly he was standing up for the club in the public eye. He reminds me a bit of Kennett, who has also done and said some rash things during his time at the Hawks.

None of us are without sin, and hopefully he has learnt from last years escapades, and is better for it, and learns to stick to what he is good at, promotion and championing the club. Hopefully Mark Evans will also be there to keep him on a very tight leash for this as well.

But you are right, Gaz needs to go, as much as I have loved watching the bloke for 7 years, but at the same time, I loathe to hand him over to Geelong for nothing. The fact he was happy to accept 2 front ended years of a contract and now wants to go, family reasons or otherwise leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

If he is so desperate to keep playing down in Victoria, what is stopping him playing for another Melbourne team having a tilt at a flag?

If you watched Eade's interview tonight, he was talking about how much of a state the club was in when he got there, how the club was a mess, unprofessionalism etc. That all happened on Mckenna's watch, whether he turned a blind eye or was just not aware of it. That falls with him, as well as Marcus Ashcroft, who I think will probably be out of a job come years end IMO.

As far as Cochrane, I am probably one of the few who isn't a massive, massive fan of his, and think that last year it looked amateurish at times what he was doing. But, the guy legitimately cares for the club, something we don't really have. No one champions us, no one talks about us, we don't have a voice. Rightly or wrongly he was standing up for the club in the public eye. He reminds me a bit of Kennett, who has also done and said some rash things during his time at the Hawks.

None of us are without sin, and hopefully he has learnt from last years escapades, and is better for it, and learns to stick to what he is good at, promotion and championing the club. Hopefully Mark Evans will also be there to keep him on a very tight leash for this as well.

But you are right, Gaz needs to go, as much as I have loved watching the bloke for 7 years, but at the same time, I loathe to hand him over to Geelong for nothing. The fact he was happy to accept 2 front ended years of a contract and now wants to go, family reasons or otherwise leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

If he is so desperate to keep playing down in Victoria, what is stopping him playing for another Melbourne team having a tilt at a flag?

I can understand your frustration....I guess the gist of my criticisms re Cochrane, was that he couldn't have chosen his target more poorly if he tried.

I'm sure that Evans will broker a deal that is equitable to both clubs....Yes, Ablett is in his twilight, though he is still the best player of his generation....What ever the Cats get by way of compo for Motlop should be adequate by way of a trade, I'd of thought.

Everyone thought the Doggies were doomed to a decade of pain when they lost Higgins, Griffen & Cooney.....But from those ashes they rose to take a flag a mere 2 years later on.

There are plenty of good coaches out there & if a club does it's homework right & is thorough in it's procedures & without prejudice, as both the Hawks & Dogs were, then success will come....It's always been about molding a tight unit together.....And having a coach with initiative, imagination & the ability to build relationships, camaraderie & instill belief.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back