Review Geelong beat Doggies by 5 points and break their hearts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol, that's my point - nobody is shocked. We played a cracking game on Friday, and all we get is old news. Rohan is cold as steel. Selwood is made for finals moments. Dogs fail the test.

Nope.

Danger is a sh*t kick.
Didn't Rohan also miss what should have been a relatively simple shot earlier in the match?

Legitimate question out of curiosity if anyone knows the answer to this. At 8.59 remaining in the 2nd quarter of Friday's game, Bruce kicks a goal around the corner from a set shot starting from outside the boundary line. He comes off his line and the umpire calls play on and he then kicks a nice goal. It's not a unique incident of course - you see this quite a lot. But my question is, shouldn't this technically be pulled back for a boundary throw in, since at the moment he plays on, the ball is not within the field of play? Umpires always let it go as the ball ends up coming into the field of play anyway. But actually shouldn't the umps tell the player in that instance that you can't come off your line just like a player who takes a shot after the siren?

Legitimate question out of curiosity if anyone knows the answer to this. At 8.59 remaining in the 2nd quarter of Friday's game, Bruce kicks a goal around the corner from a set shot starting from outside the boundary line. He comes off his line and the umpire calls play on and he then kicks a nice goal. It's not a unique incident of course - you see this quite a lot. But my question is, shouldn't this technically be pulled back for a boundary throw in, since at the moment he plays on, the ball is not within the field of play? Umpires always let it go as the ball ends up coming into the field of play anyway. But actually shouldn't the umps tell the player in that instance that you can't come off your line just like a player who takes a shot after the siren?

No. If he goes off his line (for example goes to walk in, goes into the field of play then decides "no, I didn't wanna do that" and step back beyond the boundary or changes his course otherwise) then it's a throw in.
So long as the player continues his line it's fine.

An indictment?

We are scraping over the line against these sides in the final minutes. We are missing Lachie Henderson. We lost Mitch Duncan early. They are without Dunkley, Martin, Treloar and Wood and subbed out Naughton in the third quarter.

We smashed them in every key stat bar clearances. It took a final moment of courage & brilliance from Joel Selwood to save the day and win a contested possession on the wing to setup a shot at goal.

I don't know about you, but in my eyes, with home ground advantage, three players added to the list who are to hopefully get us over the hump in finals, it does not bode well despite sitting 3rd on the ladder as we speak.

If we are to do better than 1-2 or 2-2 in the finals this year, we should be putting away these sides just as we did to Port Adelaide who look a rung below our level. The fact we were beaten in the last quarter is a worry.

Where does our improvement come from now?

Here is your post in the preview thread on the Dogs game...

This will be the game which defines our season in my opinion. I have the Bulldogs a superior all-round side this year. Better coaches, better depth and more importantly, they are tough and uncompromising.

If we can match their output in contested footy, we should be able to get them in defense where they are susceptible against tall forwards.
Unfortunately, Bulldogs learned a lot from losing to Richmond in round 7. They will be up for this one given our long history of dominance over them. Changing of the guard now.

So in the space of a few days you've gone from labelling us as inferior to them, suggesting we won't win, the guard is changing, blah, blah, blah, to basically writing our season obituary after we beat them.

Why can't you just enjoy the ride instead of finding every little fault, waiting for the day we aren't a contender, just so you can tell everyone "I told you so"?

If you can't enjoy nights like Friday, just why do you follow football?

Last edited:
I’m sure that’s the quote that the boys thought of in the dying seconds of Friday night.
And the quote your blokes thought of in the dying seconds was "we just aren't good enough to get them are we"

GO Catters

No. If he goes off his line (for example goes to walk in, goes into the field of play then decides "no, I didn't wanna do that" and step back beyond the boundary or changes his course otherwise) then it's a throw in.
So long as the player continues his line it's fine.
Thanks for the response. I understand that's the way it's umpired. I just think it makes more sense that the player should actually have to stay on their line, like with a kick after the siren, whether the player chooses to take a shot or pass it off, and it should be play on only when the ball reenters the field of play.

It’s just a really bad look. Selwood, the esteemed captain of Geelong doesn’t need to do it. His intentions aren’t the ball, they are clearly the man. Your kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

Sure the stomping “may” have been an accident and there “may” not have been any contact to the eyes and his punch “may” not have been of any significant force, but the intention was absolutely there.

If Bont pulled this sh*t, I’d be ******* furious.
Excuse me?

Thanks for the response. I understand that's the way it's umpired. I just think it makes more sense that the player should actually have to stay on their line, like with a kick after the siren, whether the player chooses to take a shot or pass it off, and it should be play on only when the ball reenters the field of play.
It’s umpired that way because it is the rule 20.3.2(a).
0451D577-0061-4652-91F0-85637700573A.jpeg

And the quote your blokes thought of in the dying seconds was "we just aren't good enough to get them are we"

GO Catters
Fingers crossed for the Cats that come finals that AFL decides to play it at your bowling alley of a home ground and we’re still missing our best ruck, 2 A grade mids and our best key forward. You might be able to crawl over us after the siren again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fingers crossed for the Cats that come finals that AFL decides to play it at your bowling alley of a home ground and we’re still missing our best ruck, 2 A grade mids and our best key forward. You might be able to crawl over us after the siren again.
That would be great. Long may your shoulder chips remain enormous and your culture of failure and whinging persist unabated.

Actually reckon our current side is better on wider grounds than previous sides and that our ground isn't necessarily suited to our game as much as it used to be.

But happy to play you anywhere and at any time.

You are aware that Naughton played the first half, yeah? I know it didn't look like it because Jack Henry didn't allow him to get a touch, but he actually did.

The reaction from Bulldogs fans since Friday night makes me realise that Doug Hawkins has a higher IQ than most of your fanbase, ouch.

Your tears and sour grapes are noted.

Goodness me the Dogs fans have taken this one badly.

72 hours after the game and you’re still melting

frggr

Sorry who was your best key forward that missed Friday night?

Your Saltyness is beautiful, I want to harvest it for my next order of Fish and Chips 👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Back