Review Geelong defeats Fremantle by 42 points at Domain Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do you respond with such nonsense questions? Read the context in which I made my point before jumping to your own delusional conclusions.

just on this, blightys... you didnt really make a 'point', you provided somewhat redundant information... youre quite good at stuff like that.

the context was 'not too many playing his role take more', and you simply named one of the 'not too many'. it isnt surprising in the slightest dangerfield is one.

not saying my point is 'right', its a guesstimate... but yeah, the 'not too many' can still stand even if dangerfield is named as one of those.

its a bit like responding to 'not too many animals are heavier than an african elephant' with 'blue whales are!' youre right, but the original still is as well.

in any case, i dont think anyone is saying blicavs is a CM monster or it is the strength in his game, by any means.

but he could possibly be a useful mobile KPP without dominating that stat, and his B&F suggests he can be a handy '22er' without dominating it as well.

i look forward to you quite possibly quoting a tiny bit of this post and running with that alone simply to further the circular argument...

View attachment 350954

These are the 2016 season stats for contested marks. So really for a guy plays backup ruck or midfield and doesn't get the ball kicked to him down forward or sweeping off half back he is just plain average. In the category harry Taylor only had 24 and average one a game one of the best intercept players in comp. So blicavs numbers for a guy who plays 3rd up at ruck and midfield seem normal.

Yay Ray. Seriously how do you have these stats at your fingertips? Personally at a fancy function of melb identities; what am I doing, looking at this; ok going to pass this onto to two former premiers and big cats fans. See what they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You proved me wrong? A 200cm ruckman/midfielder who averages 0.6 contested marks a game and you proved me wrong - ha, ha, ha.
:D:D:thumbsu::thumbsu:
Good on ya Ricketz.
Seriously, it is like you simply cannot admit you are wrong. Blicavs took 3 contested marks on the weekend = you are wrong. You want him to take them more often and more regularly, that's fine. But that is not what you said.

Yay Ray. Seriously how do you have these stats at your fingertips? Personally at a fancy function of melb identities; what am I doing, looking at this; ok going to pass this onto to two former premiers and big cats fans. See what they say.

Lol cheers you can just pull basic stats off AFL.com gives you a list of categories and away you go. You can search whole AFL or team specific I just did it in relation to geelong

BC everyone's piling on; stacks on the mill!!!

Keep plugging away digger its not a bad point but is there any other point to be made? Bad haircut, his front teeth are a bit odd and I especially don't like his film reviews. Hopefully this year no more film reviews. I'm campaigning for that and Cooky needs a hair transplant; the young lady he was with at season opener I prey is his daughter.

View attachment 350954

These are the 2016 season stats for contested marks. So really for a guy plays backup ruck or midfield and doesn't get the ball kicked to him down forward or sweeping off half back he is just plain average. In the category harry Taylor only had 24 and average one a game one of the best intercept players in comp. So blicavs numbers for a guy who plays 3rd up at ruck and midfield seem normal.
Hard to know what normal is as he is a unique player. He does play all of those positions but he is also very tall.
They are also just stats too.
They don't show his actual skill at taking contested marks which hasn't been good. There have been plenty of times when we've needed a get out from defence and he just hasn't been able to clunk them.
Saying that though I don't think his almost tripping of his average is just a one off. During the JLT and Freo you could actually see a real improvement in how he's going about his marking. I would be really surprised if he hasn't been working very hard on it during the offseason.

BC everyone's piling on; stacks on the mill!!!

Keep plugging away digger its not a bad point but is there any other point to be made? Bad haircut, his front teeth are a bit odd and I especially don't like his film reviews. Hopefully this year no more film reviews. I'm campaigning for that and Cooky needs a hair transplant; the young lady he was with at season opener I prey is his daughter.

Yeah they are, so far what we've got out of it all is that Blicavs a 200cm mid who plays on guys 10cm smaller than him averages far less contested marks per game than one of our smallest players in Daniel Menzel and Dangerfield an average size midfielder, we've also discovered he only averages 0.6 contested marks a game and that's on top of his dismal possession average, and his high free's against count.

I submit guys he's totally awesome and will definitely help us win a flag!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:o_O

Hard to know what normal is as he is a unique player. He does play all of those positions but he is also very tall.
They are also just stats too.
They don't show his actual skill at taking contested marks which hasn't been good. There have been plenty of times when we've needed a get out from defence and he just hasn't been able to clunk them.
Saying that though I don't think his almost tripping of his average is just a one off. During the JLT and Freo you could actually see a real improvement in how he's going about his marking. I would be really surprised if he hasn't been working very hard on it during the offseason.

Oh I agree spazz he is not a strong contested mark agreed. Just showing the averages and when harry Taylor is an extremely good contested mark going at one. You don't get a lot of opportunities either you might not get a chance some games.

Geelong led the league in contested marks last season I believe. In the Adelaide GWS game Adelaide had 7 contested marks for the game

Oh I agree spazz he is not a strong contested mark agreed. Just showing the averages and when harry Taylor is an extremely good contested mark going at one. You don't get a lot of opportunities either you might not get a chance some games.

Geelong led the league in contested marks last season I believe. In the Adelaide GWS game Adelaide had 7 contested marks for the game
Yeah that was a weird game though. Also makes it hard to change the belief yet that Adelaide's midfield won't get shown up when the heat is really on.

View attachment 350973
Yep get it up to 3 he only leads the league in 2016 if he does that

Well let's get it into perspective Lobb had 60 contested marks last year, Blitz just 14, so if Blitz can get 60 contested marks in 2017 I'll be the first to admit I was wrong, but we all know there's no chance in hell of that happening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well let's get it into perspective Lobb had 60 contested marks last year, Blitz just 14, so if Blitz can get 60 contested marks in 2017 I'll be the first to admit I was wrong, but we all know there's no chance in hell of that happening.

You do realise as I posted above Rory Lobb was number 2 in the league last season with 60 lol. So that means blic needs to basically be a top 2 contested mark in the league before you say your wrong I get it

Fair enough my apologies
ideally what should he average a game being reasonable ?
Well two things, first of all because of his substantial height advantage over his opponents we should feel confident kicking it long to him one on one (and we don't which tells you a lot) second of all if we start to he should be in the top 20 or 30 in the league for average contested marks I'd say, or in all honesty higher.

Well two things, first of all because of his substantial height advantage over his opponents we should feel confident kicking it long to him one on one (and we don't which tells you a lot) second of all if we start to he should be in the top 20 or 30 in the league for average contested marks I'd say, or in all honesty higher.

Don't back peddle blighty I caught you out bigtime I apologised and asked what your number what be and it was 60 you do the maths. 2.5 a game in 2016 equals top 2 so you want blicavs because he plays backup ruck and tall mid to take that many contested marks

You do realise as I posted above Rory Lobb was number 2 in the league last season with 60 lol. So that means blic needs to basically be a top 2 contested mark in the league before you say your wrong I get it
Well I didn't mean it literally just as you don't literally think Blitz will average 3 cm's a game in 2017 broadly I was making the point he'll never be considered a good contested mark - anyway as I said if he can make top 30 in the league I'll take back my statement.

Well I didn't mean it literally just as you don't literally think Blitz will average 3 cm's a game in 2017 broadly I was making the point he'll never be considered a good contested mark - anyway as I said if he can make top 30 in the league I'll take back my statement.

I think blitz is a poor contested mark just average of course I don't think anyone bar possibly tom lynch could average 3 contested marks a game.

I just asked for your pass mark

this whole conversation/argument/battle started because you suggested it was laughable that blicavs could be a KPF or KPD because he only took 14 CMs while not playing as a KPP.

as is common here, its gone off in a different direction.

isnt stefan martin a quality 2nd ruck? he only took 12 CMs last year over 20 games, and he is both taller and heavier than blicavs.

again, i dont think anyone says blicavs is a CM beast - but its hardly 'career over' as a result, even if he was to be tried as a KPP. he might even surprise.

I think blitz is a poor contested mark just average of course I don't think anyone bar possibly tom lynch could average 3 contested marks a game.

I just asked for your pass mark
And have a look at the response I gave specifically to that question, I said top 30 or so.

this whole conversation/argument/battle started because you suggested it was laughable that blicavs could be a KPF or KPD because he only took 14 CMs while not playing as a KPP.

as is common here, its gone off in a different direction.

isnt stefan martin a quality 2nd ruck? he only took 12 CMs last year over 20 games, and he is both taller and heavier than blicavs.

again, i dont think anyone says blicavs is a CM beast - but its hardly 'career over' as a result, even if he was to be tried as a KPP. he might even surprise.
Stefan Martin plays on other ruckman and they man each other up around the ground, Blitz often plays wing/midfield on guys 10cm smaller than him - see the difference?

Stefan Martin plays on other ruckman and they man each other up around the ground, Blitz often plays wing/midfield on guys 10cm smaller than him - see the difference?

of course i do, no need for the condescension... but the other side of that is that blicavs is used in space a lot more. so it is entirely possible he doesnt get anywhere near as many opportunities to take CMs.

midfielders/wingers typically dont take huge numbers of CMs.

And have a look at the response I gave specifically to that question, I said top 30 or so.

Eventually after back peddling we got top 30. Who cares I agree he is a poor contested mark hard hands when he gets a good run and jump he can clunk one or two.

It just amused me you used the Rory Lobb comparison

of course i do, no need for the condescension... but the other side of that is that blicavs is used in space a lot more. so it is entirely possible he doesnt get anywhere near as many opportunities to take CMs.

midfielders/wingers typically dont take huge numbers of CMs.
Why doesn't Geelong kick to him one on one with his small opponents? Why? Could it possibly be they know he can't take contested marks?

Eventually after back peddling we got top 30.
I didn't back peddle at all, look at my response citing Lobb, I hadn't even seen your apology post yet as I was typing, I was responding to your assertion that Blitz could average 3 cm's a game in 2017.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back