Review Geelong defeats Sydney by 12 points - Rd 16, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I had Parfitt in my votes due to his great vision and ability to hit targets inside 50.
If you are going to use Champion data ranking points you need to realise a backman who only ever kicks to another backman sideways, but gets 40 touches and 25 marks will score a lot more points than a Dangerfield 25 touches 8 clearance game that actually impacted the result.
Parfitt impacted the result. Hence votes.

I rewatched the game, he hit up one target in the forward 50 by foot. Which was the kick to Kelly about 20 metres out. Kelly missed that shot.

So I'm unsure which hit ups you're talking about. He also miss-kicked a shot on goal from about 40 out that not only missed the goal, but also any Cats player.

Where do you get CD ratings? All I can find is afl fantasy which had him on 57 points and our 16th best player. But I'm pretty sure that's just points for kicks, marks, handballs, etc with no measure of impact. But supercoach had him on 102pts and our 5th best player. That does take impact into account. Doesn't that suggest he didn't hit the stats sheet much but was super effective? That matches with my recollection of the game. Or have I misunderstood those ranking systems?

They must also rate metres gained, where he only had 150m which is quite low.

He got in and under a lot, with little handballs that didn't really show as effective. In that space he did a few little kicks that again went nowhere in such a contested zone.

He had an ok game, but really nowhere near the quality we had at the start of the year.

Which has been my point all along.

Where do you get CD ratings? All I can find is afl fantasy which had him on 57 points and our 16th best player. But I'm pretty sure that's just points for kicks, marks, handballs, etc with no measure of impact. But supercoach had him on 102pts and our 5th best player. That does take impact into account. Doesn't that suggest he didn't hit the stats sheet much but was super effective? That matches with my recollection of the game. Or have I misunderstood those ranking systems?

I guess little in and under stats in supercoach are rated highly, I.e contested ball, loose ball get, and did the handball go near a cats player.

From watching the game twice (just had an ankle reconstruction) Parfitt got a lot of his possessions in the contested space. Probably driving up his SC points.

In reality, from what I observed and what some ratings point to, is that his numbers were ok, but efficiency wasn't the best.

On the stats pointed out by catempire that maybe influenced by those tight contested pickups.

In the ratings I posted, he had very little defensive stats, perhaps lowering my rankings.

Stats hey. Can be used for any point of view. He improved from the dogs game, but a long way from earlier in the year.

Kudos to the Cats. A solid on the road win against the Swans. Super impressed with the young talent of Narkle, Henry, Kelly etc. Mitch Duncan was red hot. The irony of Harry Taylor kicking the sealer after last week. Got some cool snaps of the Geelong boys (including "Roaming Brian", thank god he didn't bug me! hehe) in the rooms after the win at the SCG, Well played Catters enjoy!

I rewatched the game, he hit up one target in the forward 50 by foot. Which was the kick to Kelly about 20 metres out. Kelly missed that shot.

So I'm unsure which hit ups you're talking about. He also miss-kicked a shot on goal from about 40 out that not only missed the goal, but also any Cats player.

You didn't watch it very well then, off the top of my head he nailed JJ with a pass from the pocket and nailed another (who I can't remember).

I guess little in and under stats in supercoach are rated highly, I.e contested ball, loose ball get, and did the handball go near a cats player.

From watching the game twice (just had an ankle reconstruction) Parfitt got a lot of his possessions in the contested space. Probably driving up his SC points.

In reality, from what I observed and what some ratings point to, is that his numbers were ok, but efficiency wasn't the best.

On the stats pointed out by catempire that maybe influenced by those tight contested pickups.

In the ratings I posted, he had very little defensive stats, perhaps lowering my rankings.

Stats hey. Can be used for any point of view. He improved from the dogs game, but a long way from earlier in the year.

Ankle ouch!! All the best with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stewart has been in AA form for mine. Outstanding dashing defender.

Aggressively attacking the ball in a straight line and keeping the ball infront of you.

About as simplistic as football gets yet players like that are surprisingly rare!

Selwood, Danger and Stewart and that is about it for us.

You didn't watch it very well then, off the top of my head he nailed JJ with a pass from the pocket and nailed another (who I can't remember).

Wow. Two for the game.

I'll watch the game again, just to catch the one I missed.

Look, he was far better than against the dogs, but realistically a long way off from the start off the season. He's still best 22, but not as solid as the early rounds.

Interestingly that many have him in the top of the votes, yet the coaches didn't even give him one vote.

Look, I'm sure he's better than what he is playing right now, there's moments of very good play, such as the spot up from the pocket, however, as I've been saying all along, he is nowhere near his form at the start of the year. Lets hope he gets back to that stellar play soon.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kudos to the Cats. A solid on the road win against the Swans. Super impressed with the young talent of Narkle, Henry, Kelly etc. Mitch Duncan was red hot. The irony of Harry Taylor kicking the sealer after last week. Got some cool snaps of the Geelong boys (including "Roaming Brian", thank god he didn't bug me! hehe) in the rooms after the win at the SCG, Well played Catters enjoy!

Great photos!

SYDNEY v GEELONG
10 Mitch Duncan (GEEL)
8 Tim Kelly (GEEL)
5 Joel Selwood (GEEL)
4 Aliir Aliir (SYD)
3 Tom Stewart (GEEL)

In a game where scoring was tough it was the 2 guys who were really clean and classy enough to pick passes and make things happen that were best 2 on the ground. Super games from Duncan and Kelly.

Here's the problem, Dangerfield sets the bar so high, the expectation of him is equally high. If a 'lesser' player managed to be as effective V Sydney, we'd all be singing their praises. When ranking players against each other it's unfair to discriminate if one player has more ability than another.

I'd be interested to know why he "wasn't close to our best 5". I'd suggest that's simply not true.

I disagree with that. If a 'lesser' player had less than 20 touches and their only goal was from an extremely fortunate free kick, they wouldn't be considered near our top players. And shouldn't be either.

Because Selwood, Duncan, Hawkins, Stewart, and Kelly - at least - were all much better. That's 5 other players for starters.

Your opinion is at odds with Champion data, who had him 4th. I disagree also. I'll say it again, Dangerfield had the most clearances in the side. 10 contested possessions, good tackle count, high effectiveness.

Kelly had good stats on the surface, but his effectiveness was quite poor. Most clangers / mistakes in the side with 6. Ranked well below Dangerfield.

I disagree with that. If a 'lesser' player had less than 20 touches and their only goal was from an extremely fortunate free kick, they wouldn't be considered near our top players. And shouldn't be either.

You're looking at basic stats that don't take efficiency into account. High disposals and goals, that's all it's about is it? By your theory, a player who gets 25-30 touches would always in our top 5 no matter what. I'd expect a footy enthusiasts to look a little deeper than that.

Your opinion is at odds with Champion data, who had him 4th. I disagree also. I'll say it again, Dangerfield had the most clearances in the side. 10 contested possessions, good tackle count, high effectiveness.

Kelly had good stats on the surface, but his effectiveness was quite poor. Most clangers / mistakes in the side with 6. Ranked well below Dangerfield.

You're looking at basic stats that don't take efficiency into account. High disposals and goals, that's all it's about is it? By your theory, a player who gets 25-30 touches would always in our top 5 no matter what. I'd expect a footy enthusiasts to look a little deeper than that.
SYDNEY v GEELONG
10 Mitch Duncan (GEEL)
8 Tim Kelly (GEEL)
5 Joel Selwood (GEEL)
4 Aliir Aliir (SYD)
3 Tom Stewart (GEEL)

Two coaches didn't have him 4th.
But that's just two men's opinion, but so is CD's. It's no more correct than anything else and by the eye test he wasn't in my top 5 players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back