Geelong: why are they just not good enough?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He definitely was an A-Grade mid but he will be 30 at the start of next season, think his best footy is behind him unfortunately.

His best may be behind him but I don't think that means he'll be bad or not A-grade level if he's fit and healthy again.

He's essentially the same age as Danger, born about a week apart, and I don't think it's reasonable to say Danger is just going to fall off because he turns 30.

His level of play is whether or not he can be fit and healthy again rather than an arbitrary age cutoff.

His best may be behind him but I don't think that means he'll be bad or not A-grade level if he's fit and healthy again.

He's essentially the same age as Danger, born about a week apart, and I don't think it's reasonable to say Danger is just going to fall off because he turns 30.

His level of play is whether or not he can be fit and healthy again rather than an arbitrary age cutoff.

I hope he proves me wrong! Seems like a great guy and would love to see him back playing great footy somewhere :)

He definitely was an A-Grade mid but he will be 30 at the start of next season, think his best footy is behind him unfortunately.

He’s a Geelong boy. They only recruit players who played and/ or grew up in the area or in country towns, preferably western Victoria, or the western suburbs of Melbourne. Talent or suiting a need of being fit healthy and a long term prospect is secondary to being a local or a country kid.

I count 26 in this category and fully expect Steven to continue this recruitment strategy.

Last edited:

If you are 30 at Hawks too old, finished up but 30 at Geelong is ok. Must be the fresh air!

Send your resume to Chris Scott and Stephen Wells. There's a job waiting for you.

Thing is you know what your getting from the Cats they have been one of the best home and away teams for the last decade, they in my opinion have always struggled to find another gear.

The home ground advantage is huge they play alot of good teams down the highway.

I think this year they jumped the comp got teams when they were most vulnerable.

Tom Hawkins sums up Geelong perfectly does great in the regular season and does nothing in finals, I'm sure I will be reminded of that game 9 years ago.

He virtually singlehandedly put us back in the match against North in the 2014 Semi Final. One of the most dominant 10 mins I've ever seen from a player, and it's no coincidence that happened when we were already 34 points down with 10 mins to go and played like we had nothing to lose.

The problem isn't Hawkins, the problem is what's happening further up the ground i.e. the glacial pace we're bringing the ball forward. He, and all our other talls over the years haven't had a chance with this gameplan Scott persists with, particularly in finals when it comes apart.

Their coach. He's a soft whiner and Selwood/Danger/Hawkins now whine and play for frees. Go figga. The fish rots from the head. Clarko or Scarlett would stomp that out.

That said Richmonds plan A was to cry for frees at the Gabba and it worked brilliantly. They demanded frees immensely and the umpires saw how much they wanted them.

Last edited:
He virtually singlehandedly put us back in the match against North in the 2014 Semi Final. One of the most dominant 10 mins I've ever seen from a player, and it's no coincidence that happened when we were already 34 points down with 10 mins to go and played like we had nothing to lose.

The problem isn't Hawkins, the problem is what's happening further up the ground i.e. the glacial pace we're bringing the ball forward. He, and all our other talls over the years haven't had a chance with this gameplan Scott persists with, particularly in finals when it comes apart.

Problem with you blokes is you live off stuff from 5+ years ago, Clokey was pretty damn good for a while but we saw where the game was heading and cut our losses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's clarko's fault, with a bit of Bevo and Dimma thrown in.

Scott tries to be too smart and clever in his decisions. You can hear it in his interviews - trying to be wise and profound - trying to keep up with Clarko and even trying to replicate him. Making unfathomably poor decisions of selection, messing with the game style, trying to pull a rabbit out of the hat, but he's no magician. Clarko is though. Scott is just a large child with tendencies to whinge and blame others. He is the Bay City Rollers and Clarko is Led Zeppelin.

So Clarko has messed up Scott enough, then come along 2 podgy eccentric blokes who grab flags out of the blue with their own bit of magic to really nail the coffin lid down. Scott hates RFC, always with his poorly veiled criticism.

I also reckon the bounday line painter down kardinia park has one leg shorter than the other and his one good eye is unreliable, he hasn't helped Scott much in the long run even if he has in tge short run.

In summary, tl dr, Scott is an Onanist.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Problem with you blokes is you live off stuff from 5+ years ago, Clokey was pretty damn good for a while but we saw where the game was heading and cut our losses.

Our biggest problem is we've been doing the same thing for 7 years and expect different results.

Hawkins form is a symptom of this, he isn't the problem. If our midfield didn't move at a snails pace and play risk free footy, and he produced the same results then yeah absolutely he should be criticised. But right now his only chances are coming from contested marks where he's outnumbered because we're not moving the ball quick enough - no forward in the comp would be doing much better under the conditions he's playing with.

Coach is a dud. Cannot push player's buttons to lift them when needed. He thinks because they are professionals they don't need to be inspired. But people are not robots. Got to any workplace and you will understand that people need to be lead from the front, inspired. This is good leadership.
Then there's is tactical acumen......

Given the events of yesterday, Geelong are now likely to win and be in exactly the same boat as Richmond and Collingwood - a prelim at the G.

Given their recent post bye form, they might even be in a better position.

The list has been excellent over the years but age and time change everything, it not easy to replace
players of such great talent.

Playing on a narrow egg shaped ground may give advantage at home but maybe it is a disadvanatge when playing at the G.

Change the shape of the ground to mirror the G and build the team strategy around that.

Bearing in mind the top 6 teams are pretty even, so the slightest advantage will bring positive results.

I think Geelong are good enough on their day to beat anyone, but they face the daunting West Coast who with Nic Nat
back are perhaps the toughest opponent to play.

It's clarko's fault, with a bit of Bevo and Dimma thrown in.

Scott tries to be too smart and clever in his decisions. You can hear it in his interviews - trying to be wise and profound - trying to keep up with Clarko and even trying to replicate him. Making unfathomably poor decisions of selection, messing with the game style, trying to pull a rabbit out of the hat, but he's no magician. Clarko is though. Scott is just a large child with tendencies to whinge and blame others. He is the Bay City Rollers and Clarko is Led Zeppelin.

So Clarko has messed up Scott enough, then come along 2 podgy eccentric blokes who grab flags out of the blue with their own bit of magic to really nail the coffin lid down. Scott hates RFC, always with his poorly veiled criticism.

I also reckon the bounday line painter down kardinia park has one leg shorter than the other and his one good eye is unreliable, he hasn't helped Scott much in the long run even if he has in tge short run.

In summary, tl dr, Scott is an Onanist.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app
‘Scott is the Bay City Rollers and Clarko is Led Zeppelin’
BF quote of the year....

Hard to say without being inside the club but Scott seems to me as too much of a competitor/perfectionist/ego driven guy.

Could say the same for players like Dangerfield. Obviously immensely talented and got skills/smarts in truckloads. But it’s almost as though they’re all trying too hard to win... like it’s little athletics still. We know that in the age of elite sports science there isn’t the edge there used to be with a guy like Plugger. GA or KB running around in your team. Elite talent alone can’t win you a GF anymore. Hell - even a tactical genius of a coach wont get you one. You need an elite team, on field and off .

Doesn’t matter how many times you selflessly throw yourself at a ball or how smart your football tactics are. A coach and leaders need to build a culture and inspire and empower others. To me looking from the outside C Scott doesn’t do that at all. Guys like Dangerfield don’t necessarily either. Richmond had the same problem, Collingwood had the same problem. It was a cultural adjustment that was the solution.

Geelong have always been about celebrating their champions.

Geelong put their greatest players on a pedestal and often allow them to thrive even at the cost of team success (for decades).

Chris Scott is on media street every week. His coaches votes always plumb for his favorite Geelong superstars. And he backs them in to be celebrities.

For Geelong to win a flag, their best players have to win it, not their bottom 5.

For Geelong to win a flag, their best players have to win it, not their bottom 5.

You mean like Guthrie, O’Connor and Ratugolea being in our bests on Friday night and Dangerfield having little impact until the final quarter?

You mean like Guthrie, O’Connor and Ratugolea being in our bests on Friday night and Dangerfield having little impact until the final quarter?

Fair enough. Some might say you missed the point.

At the very least, they don't hand over the cup for making a prelim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back