Oppo Camp General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know if the Port v Hawks 2001 Semi is available on DVD in some shape or form?
Keen to watch it again after listening to Golden Years podcast featuring the game.

Not sure about DVD's but if you go to YouTube, there are highlights there.

And lots of other Hawthorn goodies!

Not sure about DVD's but if you go to YouTube, there are highlights there.

And lots of other Hawthorn goodies!
I did notice the highlights on there, might have to stick with them for now.
Of all the games available to watch on DVD, I'm surprised this hasn't made an appearance.

Interesting Merger story they were already planning to go it alone when the signs were the merger vote would fail. Still went ahead with it though. that meant directors got a free ride from any liabiity a couple of accountants reports said they would. just blame the mebers votes.

If you are anyone who remembers you voted yes, how doe it feel they were already backpedalling?

I read it yesterday but didn’t want to post anything and open up old wounds. We all know it was us but he’ll NEVER admit it publicly. It’s why in the interview that he was content with Carlton being mentioned who came with a big pile of cash. The only thing I feel foolish about in the whole Cogs saga is that I thought he’d be content taking less cash to come to us but he openly eludes to the fact that big $$$ didn’t hurt.

It will be karma the day that we play GWS in a grand final and Patton takes a mark after the siren with us down by 5 which he neatly slots between the big sticks. Jaeger and Scully then proceed to mob Patton as Cogs drops to his knees in disarray 😂

"To be honest Hawthorn were another side, particularly late, that popped up." - Cogs

"I'm not going to lie, there was definitely times throughout the process where I thought my time at the Giants was coming to and end."

And then Uncle Gil came along with...

1586412943244.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read it yesterday but didn’t want to post anything and open up old wounds. We all know it was us but he’ll NEVER admit it publicly. It’s why in the interview that he was content with Carlton being mentioned who came with a big pile of cash. The only thing I feel foolish about in the whole Cogs saga is that I thought he’d be content taking less cash to come to us but he openly eludes to the fact that big $$$ didn’t hurt.

It will be karma the day that we play GWS in a grand final and Patton takes a mark after the siren with us down by 5 which he neatly slots between the big sticks. Jaeger and Scully then proceed to mob Patton as Cogs drops to his knees in disarray 😂

it’s funny how you can elude to a ‘thing’ that’s making you chose between moving and staying. Like it’s this strange force of the universe which somehow picked on you. When everyone says hang on, it’s money?

Mitch Cleary -fanatical Geelong supporter- is now on a personal crusade to lift the draft age to 19, and in doing so postpone this year's draft until next year. This is the second or third article he's written to this effect.

Why? Geelong has 3 first round draft picks this year, but recruiters can't observe the current crop play as 18 year olds rendering the draft order largely a matter of guesswork which potentially lessens the value of first round picks.

Shits me to tears the way these supposedly "neutral" journalists continually push barrows for their own clubs on the sly.

Mitch Cleary -fanatical Geelong supporter- is now on a personal crusade to lift the draft age to 19, and in doing so postpone this year's draft until next year. This is the second or third article he's written to this effect.

Why? Geelong has 3 first round draft picks this year, but recruiters can't observe the current crop play as 18 year olds rendering the draft order largely a matter of guesswork which potentially lessens the value of first round picks.

Shits me to tears the way these supposedly "neutral" journalists continually push barrows for their own clubs on the sly.
Surely postponing the draft would be a restriction of trade for the kids that want to be drafted this year. Wether anyone likes it or not the draft will happen wether they like it or not.

Surely postponing the draft would be a restriction of trade for the kids that want to be drafted this year. Wether anyone likes it or not the draft will happen wether they like it or not.
Going to be a bit hard to prove a loss of income for a job you've never actually been employed in.

Going to be a bit hard to prove a loss of income for a job you've never actually been employed in.
It won’t be hard to prove the restriction for the chance of employment though. Putting the draft on hold would be like saying to kids that would normally be starting school in 2021 that they’ll have to wait till 2022. I can’t see it happening.

It won’t be hard to prove the restriction for the chance of employment though.
I'm not sure there's such a thing, to be honest.

If the AFL change the rules , that's it. It's a closed shop; the AFLPA don't even push the 'restraint of trade' thing even with the big stars, let alone a bunch of kids who haven't even been put up for selection.

This this because they accept the draft system is one collosal restraint of trade system. If it was challenged on traditional work place rules, it would crumble.

There are other reasons why postponing the draft is a dumb idea, though.

It won’t be hard to prove the restriction for the chance of employment though. Putting the draft on hold would be like saying to kids that would normally be starting school in 2021 that they’ll have to wait till 2022. I can’t see it happening.

If COLES aren't hiring you can still apply at Woolworths.

I'm not sure there's such a thing, to be honest.

If the AFL change the rules , that's it. It's a closed shop; the AFLPA don't even push the 'restraint of trade' thing even with the big stars, let alone a bunch of kids who haven't even been put up for selection.

This this because they accept the draft system is one collosal restraint of trade system. If it was challenged on traditional work place rules, it would crumble.

There are other reasons why postponing the draft is a dumb idea, though.
Correct. If anyone thinks the AFL will ever do away with its 2 week dragged out so called must watch TV then they’re kidding themselves. They won’t care if clubs haven’t had the time to properly scout / prepare for the draft. The bigger the crapshoot in selections then they’ll be thinking the better. This draft has a s**t load of academy selections so you’d assume the clubs with those kids already have a fair idea whether they are worth picking so it’s just a matter of with what pick/s.

As long as the AFL has access to things like Zoom, FaceTime, Skype etc then I’m sure in a worse case scenario they could make it work. You’d hope that this pandemic is almost over by November and if it’s not then I’m sure there’ll be more important things to worry about.

I hope the draft goes forward, but it won't be because the AFL is worried about some number of potential draftees suing them for "restricting their trade".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back