Oppo Camp General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So why not want to pay frees for good tackles

None of this distraction rubbish Gerard and Whateley talk about

Keep prior opportunity no worries. Protect the ball winner / ball carrier.

But so many frees missed on this

End of the third quarter tonight I think it was - ripper one handed throw by Cripps. Not paid, no umpire in a great position for it. But players can do that sort of stuff now as you are unlucky to have it paid
Oh I totally agree, it should be paid.

It is still a penalty imposed for a failure though, isn’t it?

The rule is ‘incorrect disposal’ or similar - not ‘sweet tackle bro’?

I know what you’re saying: the tackler creates the error in disposal & is awarded the free kick as the result, but it’s still really a penalty on the Player not disposing correctly & in that sense, its like other sports.
I hear what you are saying but executing a tackle requires a player to work hard to be in a position to tackle, execute a tackle without breaching the rules and do so in a way that the player can not dispose of the ball after being tackled, doesn’t spill the ball due to the force of the tackle and had a prior opportunity to dispose of the ball. A hell of a lot is within the control of the tackler in that scenario. Rugby union has an analogue where a player must release the ball after being tackled (there is a skill to bringing down the player and then getting to feet and reaching over the player to get the ball back or force them to hold onto it and give away the penalty). Can’t think of any other examples off of the top of my head.

Sliding Doors with Barrett has always been an embarrassing piece of journalism. But his constant attacks on Clarko is taking the embarrassment to the next level now.
How he can be allowed to get away with blatant misinformation is beyond me.
At no point did Clarko sook about ‘perceived umpire bias against his players’.

Sliding Doors with Barrett has always been an embarrassing piece of journalism. But his constant attacks on Clarko is taking the embarrassment to the next level now.

hes a bitter norf supporter.

Is Sam Walsh going to be a Rhys Palmer? Some bad signs tonight. Lacks some real skill.

As for Jack Martin...Can play enjoy watching him.
couple of occassions where we didn't but his body over the ball, pretty soft actions.

He's young, but you'd want to get that out of your game

couple of occassions where we didn't but his body over the ball, pretty soft actions.

He's young, but you'd want to get that out of your game
Very Trent Cotchin like IMO. I think he will develop into a very fine leader and an elite, skilled 200 game player. I'd absolutely love to have him.

An embarrassing piece of journalism?
Why? I disagree. It's just journalism.
IMO it's always a readable column and generally makes valid points.
For example, his comment regarding McGuire and Collingwood is spot on - but Collingwood supporters would undoubtedly call it "embarrassing journalism" because they wouldn't like it.

In Clarko's case, Barrett's comment isn't unreasonable, although it's right at the edge in my view. It's fair comment.
Clarko didn't speak of umpire bias. That's why it's perceived (meaning implied).
But surely you have to concede that Clarko thinks we're getting the raw end from the umpires, with 69 tackles and no frees.

and yet here you are clicking on the article and reading it, then coming here to talk about it and getting others to seek it out, click on it, read and then come back here to agree with you.

An embarrassing piece of journalism?
Why? I disagree. It's just journalism.
IMO it's always a readable column and generally makes valid points.
For example, his comment regarding McGuire and Collingwood is spot on - but Collingwood supporters would undoubtedly call it "embarrassing journalism" because they wouldn't like it.

In Clarko's case, Barrett's comment isn't unreasonable, although it's right at the edge in my view. It's fair comment.
Clarko didn't speak of umpire bias. That's why it's perceived (meaning implied).
But surely you have to concede that Clarko thinks we're getting the raw end from the umpires, with 69 tackles and no frees.
Sliding Doors isn't journalism

Mind you there isn't much that gets published that is these days.

It's pretty good at it's job of generating traffic and setting up future content when the website then expands on whatever got traction among the masses

Sliding Doors isn't journalism

Mind you there isn't much that gets published that is these days.

It's pretty good at it's job of generating traffic and setting up future content when the website then expands on whatever got traction among the masses

If you want to define journalism as only reporting facts, then it's not journalism in that very limited sense. But journalism is far more than that, and includes opinion journalism on sport and entertainment as well as everyday news and politics and the like.

So like it or not, of course a column like that comes under the broad definition of journalism.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you want to define journalism as only reporting facts, then it's not journalism in that very limited sense. But journalism is far more than that, and includes opinion journalism on sport and entertainment as well as everyday news and politics and the like.

So like it or not, of course a column like that comes under the broad definition of journalism.
That broad definition you use is shite

He's not reporting news he's creating content for clicks

The AFL website is part of Croc media now, it's all a self sustaining bullshit cycle between all of his radio tv and print brands

Entertainment maybe, fluff certainly but news, hardly, intelligent content even less so

That broad definition you use is sh*te

The AFL website is part of Croc media now, it's all a self sustaining bullshit cycle between all of his radio tv and print brands

Entertainment maybe, fluff certainly but news, hardly, intelligent content even less so
croc media is aptly named for very good reason
Hutchy's stable includes like minded attention seekers worried only about a response to their 'view'. Thats it.

Cornes
Caro
Damo
Lloyd
and some younger journos in Edmund and McClure he has now convinced to join his stable

Across so many platfroms sprouting the same garbage driven with an agenda most times

These people are employed to create activity and therefore money for Hutchy

There are 2 types of journalism people. No one is exclusive to one type, especially in a football environment.

1. Those who refuse to modernize their understanding and still define it as what they grew up on where they'd sit down at 6 as a family and watch the news where there wasn't any of those cute puppy clickbait news stories.

2. Those who understand that news is now a business so they need to generate revenue. Opinion journalism is what creates talk, which creates clicks. Not the most genuine of reporting when compared with the traditional sense, but what a lot of people forget or don't factor in, amongst a lot of the shock-jocks, is reporters who have adapted to the more opinion-based journalism and their opinion is based on talking to people off the record and then transferring it and rewording it to still report information in a way that appears as if it's an opinion. Some do it better than others.

It's quite enjoyable watching the people on here flip-flop their views on journalists based on what they're reporting.
Good story about Hawthorn = "Oh he's on the money. Hawthorn fan from his childhood"
*Then writes negative story about Hawthorn*
"Who the * is this guy? What a mouth-breathing Hawk hater. He's head*ed!*

and yet here you are clicking on the article and reading it, then coming here to talk about it and getting others to seek it out, click on it, read and then come back here to agree with you.
I prefer to think of Barrots sliding doors, like reading in a toilet, is it really necessary? It won't make you any dumber if you don't read it.

Just a random question on the bloody AFL website: I use Safari on a MacBook Air laptop. In the last week or so, every time I click on an article I get a popup window asking: "Do you want to allow "https://www.afl.com.au" to use up to 1.2 GB of storage on your Mac?" Then there's the Allow or Do not Allow options.

I'm naturally suspicious and keep clicking the dis-allow option. it is getting tedious though. :mad:

Just a random question on the bloody AFL website: I use Safari on a MacBook Air laptop. In the last week or so, every time I click on an article I get a popup window asking: "Do you want to allow "https://www.afl.com.au" to use up to 1.2 GB of storage on your Mac?" Then there's the Allow or Do not Allow options.

I'm naturally suspicious and keep clicking the dis-allow option. it is getting tedious though. :mad:
Most likely it is cache material (templates etc) which stop it taking a while to load

That broad definition you use is sh*te

Your'e still making the same mistake.
You're confusing journalism with news.
It's pretty easy to google a definition of journalism, I'm not going to waste my time.

It's quite enjoyable watching the people on here flip-flop their views on journalists based on what they're reporting.
Good story about Hawthorn = "Oh he's on the money. Hawthorn fan from his childhood"
*Then writes negative story about Hawthorn*
"Who the fu** is this guy? What a mouth-breathing Hawk hater. He's headfu**ed!*

You've nailed it, slb.
It amuses me too.

All the experts come out about poor journalism when there's a hint of negativity or criticism about their club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back