No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Where is Hawthorn in all this? I'd like the club to come out with a statement saying that this is unacceptable and invoke the precedence of the Freo/St Kilda game.
The AFL is not concerned about fair treatment as much as people might hope. The AFL and many smart media people have said on so many occasions that this is an entertainment industry. Unfair/grey/frustrating/inconsistent decisions all drive emotions, talkback and media content, which is exactly what the afl is seeking! It’s silly for supporters to get so emotionally tied up in a sport that is governed by a body solely focused on entertainment/content that is divisive over fairness (to be fair to them, they openly admit it). The sooner people realise that and detach, the better for their emotional wellbeing.

The AFL is not concerned about fair treatment as much as people might hope. The AFL and many smart media people have said on so many occasions that this is an entertainment industry. Unfair/grey/frustrating/inconsistent decisions all drive emotions, talkback and media content, which is exactly what the afl is seeking! It’s silly for supporters to get so emotionally tied up in a sport that is governed by a body solely focused on entertainment/content that is divisive over fairness (to be fair to them, they openly admit it). The sooner people realise that and detach, the better for their emotional wellbeing.
Smartest post I've read on this forum. Unfortunately, people aren't able to detach like that, or the world would be a much more rational (and boring) place.

“Our officials screwed up the officiating of the game and it cost a team the win, but we’re comfortable with that”
Classic AFL
Radio silence .

Watch this come back up at the end of the season when another team is effected by this mistake , with Port finishing above them in the top 4/8.
Nothing surer .

Then why are you here?

I remember stating last year that my only question mark on him was whether or not his style of fending off every player who gets near him would stand up at AFL level.

Just saw the replay of him collecting the ball at the centre bounce before fending off Oliver AND Petracca and then driving the ball inside 50.

Absolute freak. And look at his body, he's a "big kid", just wait until he's had a few pre-seasons.

The craziest part with the fend off was he did one with each arm. It was like watching prime Jonah Lomu.

100%
If the rule is that the clock goes on, when the player has the ball, then we we're robbed of 4 points.

AFL tick that off, then they either need to change the rule, or they're hecking cheating.
The rule is the time keeper must follow the umps when he blows the whistle for time on/off.

Some big chequebooks in WA being opened , a few with their own private plane ✈️
Funny they didn’t fly them or some of the family for his birthday. Missed that one Simmo

We will know this is the case if Harley Reid starts demanding portraits at the National Gallery be taken down

The rule is the time keeper must follow the umps when he blows the whistle for time on/off.
The rule the umpire is supposed to follow is the post you replied to. Idiot.

The umpire is supposed to be the one enforcing the rule When the player receives the ball the umpire is SUPPOSED to blow time back on. he didn't do that, he disobeyed the rule, he gave your team the win through either incompetence or by design, either way you probably need someone to read this to you, and they may skim over stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the umpire officiated the game wrong and the last goal should be wiped from the score line because it would not have been kicked during game time?

You lost to a bottom four side no matter what the ‘official results’ say.

You lost to a bottom four side no matter what the ‘official results’ say.
BuT iF pOrT wErN’t GiFtEd tHoSe CrItIcAl 19 SeCoNdS bY tHe DiRtY ChEaTiNg 5G AlIeNs In GrEeN - wE wOuLd be 14Th and thus…… not bottom four.

Where is Hawthorn in all this? I'd like the club to come out with a statement saying that this is unacceptable and invoke the precedence of the Freo/St Kilda game.
It’s time for Andy Gowers to show stronger leadership and represent the best interests of the club above his friend Andrew Dillon’s calling.

It’s time for Andy Gowers to show stronger leadership and represent the best interests of the club above his friend Andrew Dillon’s calling.
I feel like the HRC process is being held above our heads stopping us from being more forthright.

Radio silence .

Watch this come back up at the end of the season when another team is effected by this mistake , with Port finishing above them in the top 4/8.
Nothing surer .
We can only hope that it's Essendon or Geelong that's the recipient.

The rule the umpire is supposed to follow is the post you replied to. Idiot.

The umpire is supposed to be the one enforcing the rule When the player receives the ball the umpire is SUPPOSED to blow time back on. he didn't do that, he disobeyed the rule, he gave your team the win through either incompetence or by design, either way you probably need someone to read this to you, and they may skim over stuff.

I read the AFL's response, and it's entertaining for its intentional obtuseness. They say the timekeeper followed the umpire's instructions, so the timekeeper made no error. The umpire's actions are unexamined.

The AFL spins everything nowadays and treats us like morons. The AFL cannot play a straight bat anymore. Too many skeletons in the closet and the whole house of cards would tumble down if the AFL honestly played the chips as they lay.

I read the AFL's response, and it's entertaining for its intentional obtuseness. They say the timekeeper followed the umpire's instructions, so the timekeeper made no error. The umpire's actions are unexamined.

The AFL spins everything nowadays and treats us like morons. The AFL cannot play a straight bat anymore. Too many skeletons in the closet and the whole house of cards would tumble down if the AFL honestly played the chips as they lay.
That old classic, stick the the truth and you never have to remember anything, wonder how many webs their having to account for in every pr message now 😂

Thoughts on the AFL pondering shorter games or extra byes to help combat the large number of injuries floating around at the moment?

For me, it's nice to see the AFL potentially thinking about things to improve player welfare, but I can't help but feel like we're missing the point a fair bit.

As a Physio who spends his time actively trying to solve the underlying reasons behind why common injuries and conditions occur, it has become clear to me that a lot of what we focus on, while important to consider in its own right, isn't the underlying cause of injury.

Clearly, game length, ground surface quality, fatigue, collisions, bad luck etc can all play their role, but it's often the quality and robustness of someone's basic mechanics that either stands up or gets exposed by these things.

FWIW, I find that the #1 reason why an athlete gets injured is almost exclusively a reflection of what the modern world does to them before they even put on a pair of footy boots in the first place.

Shortening games may help reduce the incidence of those critical moments that test out an athlete's robustness, but it may not be the long-term fix the powers that be are hoping for.

I could go on, but I'm always wary of being that annoying guy who comes across like he thinks he knows better.

Having said that I've always wanted to do a deep dive on our players and try to shed some light on why I'd expect them to be getting injured or re-injured - potentially unnecessarily.

Anyway, what do others think of what the AFL may do/be doing to mitigate injuries?

Thoughts on the AFL pondering shorter games or extra byes to help combat the large number of injuries floating around at the moment?
There should be two byes, one staggered over rounds 8 and 9, and the other during 15-16

They did something like this briefly, until the gambling industry got twitchy about teams secure in the finals resting players in the final round.

So the AFL jumped to their master's bidding, removing a much needed bye, and inserting a totally superfluous bye for only 8 teams between the H+A season and finals.

The players may be more stressed, but at least the integrity of gambling dollars are secure, and that's what really matters.

For me, it's nice to see the AFL potentially thinking about things to improve player welfare, but I can't help but feel like we're missing the point a fair bit.

As a Physio who spends his time actively trying to solve the underlying reasons behind why common injuries and conditions occur, it has become clear to me that a lot of what we focus on, while important to consider in its own right, isn't the underlying cause of injury.

Clearly, game length, ground surface quality, fatigue, collisions, bad luck etc can all play their role, but it's often the quality and robustness of someone's basic mechanics that either stands up or gets exposed by these things.

FWIW, I find that the #1 reason why an athlete gets injured is almost exclusively a reflection of what the modern world does to them before they even put on a pair of footy boots in the first place.

Shortening games may help reduce the incidence of those critical moments that test out an athlete's robustness, but it may not be the long-term fix the powers that be are hoping for.

I could go on, but I'm always wary of being that annoying guy who comes across like he thinks he knows better.

Having said that I've always wanted to do a deep dive on our players and try to shed some light on why I'd expect them to be getting injured or re-injured - potentially unnecessarily.

Anyway, what do others think of what the AFL may do/be doing to mitigate injuries?
I found it telling that Chris Scott, coach of a famously old team, wants to see the game shortened. While Sam Mitchell, coach who has built a team of powerful endurance runners, wants to see it stay the same length.

I think the constant pursuit of high performance is going to result in injuries regardless of what aspects of the game change. And coaches will do their best to have their players be fit and available within whatever that looks like, but ultimately they’ll advocate for the result that suits the direction they’re taking their club.

Shorter games? God no. More byes I still don’t like but that’s better than shortening games. Maybe they could have a mandatory rest for players that have played X amount of games in a row? Even as a sub for a week? Or limit players maximum game time for a week after a stretch of games? Will force teams to manage players. I don’t know.

I think injuries are always going to happen in any case, almost anything over shortening games though please.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back