George Brandis - How long?

Remove this Banner Ad

So can the legal fraternity do anything about Brandis? i.e. strip him of his license to practise and/or his title of QC?

He is giving Lawyers a bad name which is probably the only remarkable achievement he has ever made.

Giving lawyers a bad name? Hahahahaha. That happened well before Brandis. He just reminded us all why lawyers are such slugs.
The serious thing is the LNP trashing independent public service advice.

Hopefully the next Solicitor-general isn't a dud.
With "Curious" George picking them it's bound to be sycophantic yes man with a legal expertise that makes he of the taxpayer funded bookshelf look talented.

We (The Commonwealth) are going to lose so many cases.

You've followed his career, have you? Or is he a 'dud' because he didn't play for your team?

Brandis is pretty embarrassing yet continues to survive in a pretty senior role. One can only assume he will hang on until this government is kicked out.

He is supposed to be impartial and not play for either team. This was part of the problem. He could be the best legal mind the world has ever seen for all I know, but my understanding is that he wasn't impartial and was in bed with Labor. Given his role requires otherwise then I am not surprised he quit. He failed in his duty and was a dud. Hopefully the next person is better.

He is supposed to be impartial and not play for either team. This was part of the problem. He could be the best legal mind the world has ever seen for all I know, but my understanding is that he wasn't impartial and was in bed with Labor. Given his role requires otherwise then I am not surprised he quit. He failed in his duty and was a dud. Hopefully the next person is better.
Your understanding is wrong.

The problem lately has been multiple high profile Departmental Secretaries and public servants have had to quit because they refused to stop being impartial.

The current government has repeatedly breached caretaker provisions during the election campaign as well.

The current government does not see the public service as anything other than an extension of their party and have shown they are willing to hire and fire on that basis. This is incredibly dangerous for democracy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your understanding is wrong.
Yep, the problem is this government thinks that anyone that disagrees with them is partisan. They can't fathom the idea that impartial advice (such as the legality of legislation) might disagree with their own genius. The only ones playing politics is the Liberal Party unless we believe they had the poor luck to encounter more partisan statutory officers than any government before it.

What you mean is he should have just let George decide who he could give advice to.......
That sort of extremely partial impartiality that the right find so attractive in their short short stints fleecing the country.

His "duty", as you put it, is to the Crown. Nowhere in his list of "duties" does it say "you must lie if the Attorney General says you should." and this is exactly what the problem is. Brandis told a lie in Parliament and therefore, to the Australian people in that the Solicitor-General was "on-side" with his proposal to change the way in which the Solicitor-General gave advice to members of parliament.

The Solicitor-General says that Brandis did not disclose to him any of these proposed changes and therefore, he was not "on side" with the Attorney General, in other words, the Attorney General, George Brandis, lied to parliament but Mr. Gleeson, the Solicitor-General, will not lie for Brandis.

The only honourable person here is Solicitor-General Mr. Gleeson and Brandis and the Government he is a part of, are an absolute disgrace to the conventions of our Parliament, our Democracy and to the rule of law and whether or not one is "Liberal" or "Labor", left, right or in the middle, the actions of Brandis are an affront to all of us.

His "duty", as you put it, is to the Crown. Nowhere in his list of "duties" does it say "you must lie if the Attorney General says you should." and this is exactly what the problem is. Brandis told a lie in Parliament and therefore, to the Australian people in that the Solicitor-General was "on-side" with his proposal to change the way in which the Solicitor-General gave advice to members of parliament.

The Solicitor-General says that Brandis did not disclose to him any of these proposed changes and therefore, he was not "on side" with the Attorney General, in other words, the Attorney General, George Brandis, lied to parliament but Mr. Gleeson, the Solicitor-General, will not lie for Brandis.

The only honourable person here is Solicitor-General Mr. Gleeson and Brandis and the Government he is a part of, are an absolute disgrace to the conventions of our Parliament, our Democracy and to the rule of law and whether or not one is "Liberal" or "Labor", left, right or in the middle, the actions of Brandis are an affront to all of us.

Excellent post. This is the nub of the problem. Its the nature of the party system to bend & twist the structure & function of the democratic system for purely selfish political reasons.
Parties are not a part of the democratic structure. They have no part in the Constitution. So its selfish politicians who try to bend the system to suit themselves, not the nation.
Brandis represents just another attack on our democracy & a proper fearless & effective public service.
Note 'public' service not 'political' service.

Lebbo got his man.

Tell you what though, brandis might want to be careful if a vote of no-confidence is moved against him in either house though.
I didn't get anyone. It is hard to decipher the truth when the usual lefties are dissing the right! :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back