Review Good/Bad v GWS, Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

I got howled down a while back when I said the same....If Pyke saw Lyons as having the skill set he wants going forward he'd still be on our list, all the mids we drafted are significantly quicker than Jarryd....Gullucci express pace, Signorello top end pace and Poholke better than average plus more size and grunt....even Davis is quite quick.

Exactly, and Clarkson essentially came up with the same assessment at the Hawks. Slow midfielders hurt you. Its not just about the individuals ability to win possessions and clearances, if they can't hurt the opposition with spread and rebound and on the flip side can't defend that spread/rebound, they're a liability.

Exactly, and Clarkson essentially came up with the same assessment at the Hawks. Slow midfielders hurt you. Its not just about the individuals ability to win possessions and clearances, if they can't hurt the opposition with spread and rebound and on the flip side can't defend that spread/rebound, they're a liability.

We have the need for speed. And i love what i saw on Sunday. Let's hope it continues

It was very visible in the GC vs Bris game, Brisbane came out running and GC could do nothing about it. Lucky for GC, Brisbane's runners are young and it was hot so they slowed down as the game went on.

Hampton.
Even though his first game was a bit quiet. Will be far more useful.
Perception of Hampton suffers from the fact he played a quiet game in a massive team performance. Someone had to do it. :)

I thought he did a few good things and looked like he belonged. It'll be his turn soon.

Yep, been grumpy about that since it was first announced. We essentially gave him away for nothing.

Its called a salary dump.
Get used to it, will happen more and more.

We didnt want to pay him David Mackay money to play 2nds.
Everyone complains we paid Mackay 400k a year and he's best 22 every week.

The sooner people understand this the better.

Our game plan is not suitable for lyons let alone thommo. Its no longer winning the hard ball at all cost. Very noticeable we want to break the lines with our speed. Lyons cannot do that and thus cannot rotate in that position. We are playing a brand of footy that is even better to watch than last year. This week is a test to see if we can back it up. Id take menzel and hampton ahead of lyons every day of the week. Not to say that lyons is no good. Hes a proven afl player. Just no longer suitable for our gameplan

And yet so many think that Jogspeed Thommo is still suitable for our game plan. Get dinkum Adelaide.

I'll take some of Mitchell's hurt for my side any day.

But not Thommo's:straining:

Bombing it long doesn't work, with or without Walker.

You do, however, have a valid point about the relative ease of our F50 entries after quarter time. Mind you, our speed and fitness may have had a fair bit to do with that - not just GWS slacking off. Having the extra quick midfielder, instead of a slow, lumbering KPF, may have helped with the F50 entries.

I'm not saying that any of this is certain, and I'm not saying that it would work in every game we play. I do, however, think that it's worth discussing.
After 1/4 time did GWS actually chase or try to tackle? They had under 40 tackles i think, which is what i said before the game would happen. They have been depending on talent, not hard work. Its only one game, i hope we dont get to carried away. That game didnt teach us much except that we are alot quicker around the ground. Bigger test will come

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He provided different stuff to Lyons.
Probably more important to teams overall performance.

So even on this game, equal or better.
Really? His 11 possessions were more important than the 22 possessions Lyons averaged last year or his 20 against the GWS? Including Lyons more contested possessions, clearances and metres gained?

Look, Hampton may turn out to be the better player, but that's definitely not vindicated on the back of the weekends game. Your post trying to seek justification for Lyons being traded was too premature.

Why call Elite Crow out on this but not DangerSloane for judging Lyons on one game? I get that you were happy to trade Lyons, but be consistent.
That's a good point you've raised, especially considering Lyons had 20 possessions on the weekend compared to Hamptons 11.

Why call Elite Crow out on this but not DangerSloane for judging Lyons on one game? I get that you were happy to trade Lyons, but be consistent.

DangerSloane judged the team without Lyons he made no comment about Lyons' game against Bris (that I saw). I did because If you are comparing a one-off game for Hampton, you can't give Lyons the benefit that he would have had a game similar to his best game last year, or even season average game if he was in the same position, especially when he had a very average game against a bottom 4 side this weekend.

Really? His 11 possessions were more important than the 22 possessions Lyons averaged last year or his 20 against the GWS? Including Lyons more contested possessions, clearances and metres gained?

Look, Hampton may turn out to be the better player, but that's definitely not vindicated on the back of the weekends game. Your post trying to seek justification for Lyons being traded was too premature.
Gut feel says that, *with time to get used to the structures in the side*, he'll settle and eventually become a more impactful player.

DangerSloane judged the team without Lyons he made no comment about Lyons' game against Bris (that I saw). I did because If you are comparing a one-off game for Hampton, you can't give Lyons the benefit that he would have had a game similar to his best game last year, or even season average game if he was in the same position, especially when he had a very average game this weekend.
Cough cough bullshit. I quoted his post and it was on the same page as your post.

Lyons had 20 touches on the weekend, his 2016 season average after coming off an injury interrupted preseason.

Gut feel says that, *with time to get used to the structures in the side*, he'll settle and eventually become a more impactful player.
That may well be the case, but one game doesn't vindicate that especially when Hampton was average to poor.

That may well be the case, but one game doesn't vindicate that especially when Hampton was average to poor.
Well of course, but IMO we need to give him a chance. Can't just drop him immediately. He's a confidence player, too, he needs time to build.

Nope.
Justification came when we beat GWS by 50 points and looked FAST and DANGEROUS.

Lyons was a slow plodder. Would rather 11 touches from Hampton than 20 from Lyons.

Cough cough bullshit. I quoted his post and it was on the same page as your post.

Lyons had 20 touches on the weekend, his 2016 season average after coming off an injury interrupted preseason.

Stop looking at supercoach scores. Might be a start.

20 touches of what? I watched the game and he was virtually invisible in a loss, to the expected worst side of 2017.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back