Review Good/Bad vs Gold Coast, Round 1 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Good:

Smith - Good to get another game into a young up and comer like him. He might not have been BOG, but boy oh boy is the future bright.

Tall Timber - Great to have a really tall side, I reckon the extra height intimidates the opposition.

Trumpet - Trumpets are a fun instrument, great to hear it after every Gold Coast goal.

Clean Bill of Health - No injuries is always a win!

Selection - It's a massive relief that people within the club know what they're doing better than us in the cheap seats.

Bad and Ugly:

Soligo - Didn't do anything when the game was there to be won in the first half. I don't care if he popped up late when the pressure was off. Silly to pick him, send him back to the SANFL.

Sloane - We looked lost without Batman/Rory/Sloanedog/Goodest Bloke. I don't care if he's old, decrepit, slow and at risk of being legally blind. We need him out there pointing at things and giving away free kicks.

Soligo, Pedler, Crouch, Rankine can hold their heads high. EDIT - Keays as well. Esp in the first half when others were still deciding whether to play or not.

Rachele was ordinary and kicked 3 classy goals and got 17 touches. Last year he would have disappeared. Great to see him keep at it.

Smith can FRO

Last edited:

Crouch, Rankine probably our best 4 quarter players. Rachele worked his way into it well. Keays and Pedlar wanted it. Milera, Hinge, MM, Worrell battled admirably in defence. Soligo should never be sub again

Not a whole lot of good other than that

Bad: the late goals will convince our deadshits that they were totally close, and avoid scrutiny of a performance that was entirely non-competitive for three quarters.
Unlikely.

Could not ignore that shitshow

Good:

• Crouch was great in the middle, picked up where he left off late last year. Super clean and attacked a bit.
  • Rob did well against Witts in the ruck, shame he missed that close goal late.
  • Rachele was pretty poor for a half however his goal kicking was on point with 3 and one falling 1m short.
  • Thought Borlase one just about every one of his 1v1s
  • Keays gut running was great as usual.

Bad:
  • Dawson couldn't do anything clean for the majority of the game, really frustrating to watch.
  • Smith was awful, gave them a free goal.
  • Murphy was invisible, shifted back as he was doing nothing up front or was he there the whole time? Unsighted.
  • Fog is a great kick but pretty poor at everything else.
  • Gollant offered us nothing.

I didn't watch the bulk of the first half but of what I did see we looked badly drilled.

For players who don't have class, clean ball handling is essential. We were woeful. Lots of rapid, s**t handballs then dump kicks forward. Is that really what we trained in the off season? Then missing forwards who are wide open with kicks inside 50 under no pressure

We couldn't do anything right in the first half. I've seen a lot of wet weather footy but it was truly deplorable. Couldn't even handball the ******* thing properly.

The key backs blanketed their tall forwards, thought Worrell was very good and flew the flag when needed.

Pedlar fights hard and has flashes of brilliance has big game impact for low possession wish he could get involved more because whatever he touches generally leads to a score.

Leadership group were terrible tonight as we did look like headless chooks even out captain was fumbling and turning it over and a really poor showing from the midfield as a whole couldn't move the ball quickly or with any fluidity.

I keep waiting for Milera to show his class or maybe I'm waiting for Andrew McLeod to possess him.... I always thought he would become a Rolls Royce but in reality he's a 2012 Audi with an electrical fault.

The turnovers killed us tonight and it didn't look like we had a wet weather game plan, to have Soligo one of our best one touch player on the pine half the game as sub has proven costly.

Nick's coaching from the boundary is not helping us, in fact it's more of a hindrance as he can't see for himself where the structure is breaking down. So it takes 3 quarters to fix issues.

Getting really sick of this late surge that leaves us losing by a goal or less. Why are we still so trash away from home and why do we only kick into high gear when the game is basically gone?

Bad: The arrogance that the team selection displayed by picking a side that ignored the opponent and the weather as if we are world beaters, as if we had achieved anything. Typical of the dumb, unearned arrogance that is a hallmark of the club.

Good: Soligo

Bad: Soligo didn't start.

Bad: Michalanney stopping and propping throughout the game instead of taking it on.

Bad: Borlase fumbles

Bad: Burgess shouldn't have played at all

Bad: Murphy, but this is expected, how is he in the leadership group?

Bad: Smith, but this is expected, how is he in the leadership group?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't watch the bulk of the first half but of what I did see we looked badly drilled.

For players who don't have class, clean ball handling is essential. We were woeful. Lots of rapid, s**t handballs then dump kicks forward. Is that really what we trained in the off season? Then missing forwards who are wide open with kicks inside 50 under no pressure
I actually thought the opposite, we were to well drilled and as soon as it rained it all went out the window, we had to play to the conditions and the majority of the players had SFA idea what they were then doing. It's why we missed Tex not that he would have been any better in those conditions but his organization and sorting stuff out on the field.
Just a dumb team who is drilled to play a certain way and when it dried out a bit in the last it started working again.

Good: Rankine was good in the middle and got goals too
Soligo when on was great
Defence held up ok without our 2 main key backs
No big hit to our % and that looked on the cards at one stage

Bad: played the conditions poorly and had too many with sub par games

Ugly: mark the bloody ball..just mark it.
Soligo as sub
Losing both tex and thilthorpe heading into this one

I actually thought the opposite, we were to well drilled and as soon as it rained it all went out the window, we had to play to the conditions and the majority of the players had SFA idea what they were then doing. It's why we missed Tex not that he would have been any better in those conditions but his organization and sorting stuff out on the field.
Just a dumb team who is drilled to play a certain way and when it dried out a bit in the last it started working again.
We looked like crap before it started raining.

The key backs blanketed their tall forwards, thought Worrell was very good and flew the flag when needed.

Pedlar fights hard and has flashes of brilliance has big game impact for low possession wish he could get involved more because whatever he touches generally leads to a score.

Leadership group were terrible tonight as we did look like headless chooks even out captain was fumbling and turning it over and a really poor showing from the midfield as a whole couldn't move the ball quickly or with any fluidity.

I keep waiting for Milera to show his class or maybe I'm waiting for Andrew McLeod to possess him.... I always thought he would become a Rolls Royce but in reality he's a 2012 Audi with an electrical fault.

The turnovers killed us tonight and it didn't look like we had a wet weather game plan, to have Soligo one of our best one touch player on the pine half the game as sub has proven costly.

Nick's coaching from the boundary is not helping us, in fact it's more of a hindrance as he can't see for himself where the structure is breaking down. So it takes 3 quarters to fix issues.

Getting really sick of this late surge that leaves us losing by a goal or less. Why are we still so trash away from home and why do we only kick into high gear when the game is basically gone?

I think Pedlar would have had a few more if he didn't get his nose busted by a Suns player doing a very clumsy attempt at a spoil, actually I think it was a deliberate disguised smack in the face.

THIS.
Look now for the excuses from the blind:
--- but, but, it was wet/slippery
--- but, but, it was an away game
--- but, but, the Suns had a game under their belt, and so on ad nauseam. :mad:

have any of stopped to think that Soligo did exactly what was intended: make an impact as a sub because he doesn’t have the conditioning. As in, his second half as a fresh sub would have had a net greater impact if he had played a full game. If so, it was a masterstroke from Nicks.

Just kidding. It was fu%^n stupid.

I like Pedlar but it would be nice if he could kick an easy set shot. He's one of those guys I'd rather have kicking for goal on the run, under pressure.

We trained for slippery condition by bombing the ball, GCS didn't do this and built a lead. The rain came and that's when you play the condition by bombing the ball. Then the rain stopped and we continue to bomb the ball until the last 1.5 quarter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back