AFL Toast Grand Final: Adelaide Crows vs Richmond Tigers, MCG, Saturday 30/09/17 @ 2.30 PM

And the winner of the 2017 Toyota AFL Grand Final is...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no issue with cotchin. Him playing was the right decision I believe and the way he got the brownlow was not his fault. Thought he handled the situation well, not like Mitchell.

The way dimma speaks about cotchin also speaks volumes. Another antidote I heard on the radio this week. The tigers were having a training session in the gym on the 11th of November and as an 18 year old, cotchin turned off the music in the gym and got everyone to be quiet to observe a minutes silence.
I thought he was lucky to be playing given the Shiel incident, but in the end I have nothing against Cotchin and I have to say I cringe when our supporters keep grizzling about Jobe and the Brownlow whenever Cotchin comes up. It has a distinct whiff of sour grapes and salt about it actually.

None of that situation was Cotchin's fault and he handled it with grace.

My GF hero was Jack Riewoldt - Battled adversity with the role he played in 2017, and then plays a good game in the GF and jumps on stage with The Killers - You couldn't ask for more.

Richmond played power footy in the finals, but at the same time, Adelaide should be bitterly disappointed with their performance - They lacked courage to play their game style.

My GF hero was Jack Riewoldt - Battled adversity with the role he played in 2017, and then plays a good game in the GF and jumps on stage with The Killers - You couldn't ask for more.
It would be hard to top a day like that.

Just had a rewatch of the 2016 granny, apart from being an awesome watch what's interesting is that despite winning the vast majority of young Bulldogs players went backwards this year, and it's the opposite for the Swans.

I genuinely reckon Macrae and McLean are the only dogs player that really progressed this year and then if you cross over you've got Jones, Papley, Lloyd, Mills, Hewett, and Heeney who are now all serious footballers and Tom Mitchell who's gone from 5th best midfielder at Sydney to a bees dick away from a Brownlow.

I thought he was lucky to be playing given the Shiel incident, but in the end I have nothing against Cotchin and I have to say I cringe when our supporters keep grizzling about Jobe and the Brownlow whenever Cotchin comes up. It has a distinct whiff of sour grapes and salt about it actually.

None of that situation was Cotchin's fault and he handled it with grace.
no need for you to cringe, it's not your emotion being expressed. People feel differently about the way the AFL managed Jobe's medal, no need for you to sit in judgment either.

no need for you to cringe, it's not your emotion being expressed. People feel differently about the way the AFL managed Jobe's medal, no need for you to sit in judgment either.
It's got nothing to do feelings on how Jobe's medal was managed and everything to do with it continuing to be brought up to somehow diminish Cotchin, every time he comes up. Conflating the two is cynical.

It would be hard to top a day like that.
wedding day for me, closely followed by the birth of my children...

okay i think they’ve gone...

That would’ve topped those for sure, even just being a fan in the crowd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The elements I saw were:
  • Top to bottom introspection and a willingness to embrace change
  • Learning from other successful teams (not just AFL)
  • Being able to express themselves and embrace vulnerability, showing empathy - connection between the players (Edit - thank you Jobe)
  • Being willing to take risks on the field and sometimes ignore rigid playing structures to play attacking football
  • A good run with injuries and a good draw
  • Good recruiting
  • Development of the less obviously talented players (not an exact parallel as ours were talented :p)
Things we could/are looking at:
  • Plan B on game day when things aren't working (seems to me to be an issue but I'm not privy to the coach's thinking so can't say for sure)
  • Locking the ball down in the forward half
  • Would love some more player development, esp. from budding mid fielders

Last edited:
I've been one of Cotchin's biggest bashers, but I agree with this post. Definitely earned my respect this year. He has been amazing this year and has led from the front. Iirc he was the only one that called Jobe too when they retrospectively awarded him the Brownlow
This. I've never been a Cotchin fan at all but bloody hell he was phenomenal this finals series.

What is with the crap that Grant Thomas is writing? I reckon he is very wrong. Unlike the flukey premierships bombers 93, Hawks 08 and Dogs last year, Richmond has a really good demographic. I think that this will raise club expectations and the 15th - 25th players will improve even more next year. They also have the maturish VFL side in the GF.

They might not win a flag again, because they're so bloody hard to win, but I expect Richmond to be contenders for at least the next three. I would suggest that Adelaide are best suited to exploit their weaknesses and that didn't happen on the weekend. Two good KPFs, a lead up forward to stretch Rance's cover and dangerous forwards can exploit their weakness down back. Good intercepting defenders and quick skill full ball transition to catch them out for over playing their pressure up front.

I think there is something to learn from the last two premierships. They both increased their pressure around the ball late in the season. So don't rely upon it throughout the year. Fiddle with your line up and structure for 10-15 rounds then once you do have what you want settle on that and start increasing the numbers and pressure around the ball.

Without the standout inside midfielder, we are going to be reliant upon that next year if we're going to improve. Play Laverde/Langford off half forward, but push them up to the ball to increase pressure. Stewart, Fantasia and Tippa to play almost like outside mids, just forward of the ball. Hooker to kick long and deep to so those small forwards can hit the ball heading towards goal. McGrath to start in defence but push up to help out just behind the ball. Instead of being like a quarter back in US football, he can play like a running back who then hits up the half forward.

Exclusive look inside Richmond's 2016 post season review

0*tTJvtyg3fPwVuBj3.jpg

In all seriousness, I called this probably 3 years ago. As a footballer Hardwick was nothing special but if you had the ball and he wanted it he would kill you to get it, yet for some bizarre reason he kept trying to emulate Hawthorn's precise kicking game plan and the results were embarrassing to be perfectly honest.

Then they finally make a change to what he knows and he immediately wins the flag, I'm not sure whether that says more about him or the people around him or if he suffered some kind of offseason head trauma or what, but knowing what we know now do you probably have to look back and say Richmond are behind where they should be due to Hardwick's failure to recognise this and make faster changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back