Unofficial Preview GWS Giants v Adelaide Crows Sun 19/3/23 1.10pm AEDT (12.40pm SA time) at Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Thylacinus

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2008
Ubiquitous
AFL Club
Adelaide
The days are shortening, the preseason trials are over and the grapes are being turned into wine, all signals that the AFL season proper, namely the home and away games, are about to begin. Both GWS under new coach Adam Kingsley and the Adelaide Crows have momentum going into the game to be played this Sunday.

GWS have only played the one preseason game so we only have a small sample size, but they were impressive in beating the Gold Coast Suns Saturday week ago. They moved the ball quickly and have some real pace. Their two Lachies at half back love to rebound and set up play. I am looking forward as to how we counter this. I suspect that Ben Keays may be asked to do to Lachlie Whitfield what he did to Adam Saad last year. This will be an absorbing duel. Whitfield will not be ambushed like Saad was. Can Keays lock down Whitfield while setting himself free to do some real damage as he did last week and against Saad? We will soon find out.

Adelaide will present not only the two Lachies, but the whole of the GWS defense with headaches of their own. The Crow's forward line pressure was replicated by the whole team in its game against the WCE Friday evening 3rd March in what was a very even and impressive display by the whole Crows team. If the GWS backs are too busy trying to make the play and take their focus off the Adelaide forwards even for a moment, they will be made to pay for it by the imense talent we now have assembled there. GWS 2022 All Australian and Best and Fairest winner by a long way, Sam Taylor, will have to mind either Walker or Fogarty. This will mean he is not minding the other. Once the ball hits the ground there is a deadly mosquito fleet waiting to capitalize that now includes explosive first round draft pick Luke Pedlar who has finally got his body right heading into this, his third season; McAdam who oozes x-factor; new recruit the classy Rankine and Rachele who, hopefully, will live up to his nickname 'the rash' and be all over the place, including occasional bursts in the center along with some of his other very quick forward mates.

Speaking of the midfield, this also looks like an intriguing battle. We know what Stephen Coniglio and Josh Kelley can do. If we thought the departure of Hopper and Taranto were going to give us automatic ascendancy, we will be caught off guard. 2019 draft pick, the strong, big bodied, tall midfielder Tom Green, standing at 191cm and 92kg, has come of age. He was outstanding against the Suns, racking up 32 disposals. We have excellent tacklers in Laird and Berry to help counter their midfield, and our mid's have weapons of their own, including our accumulator Laird who would be justified in having ambitions to be an AA later this year in his sights, along with the various pinch hitters that we will bring through there. I am interested to see what tactic we use to counter Tom Green as we do not have a quality tall, big bodied, mid. Our midfield are fighters, as seen by Laird's and Berry's tackle numbers. I expect some negating by us and thrust through our pinch hitters. If we can break even here I believe it will go a long way to helping us win the game.

The wings have become a strength for us. Mitch Hinge and the remarkably well recovered, aerobic, Sloane gives us some real hardness there. They will not be easily brushed off. This will be needed as GWS have a young shark there in Finn Callaghan, the one who some Crows supporters think got away, being taken at pick 3 in the 2021 draft, just a couple ahead of Rachele. The reality is we never had the draft capital to get Callaghan and there are some initial signs that we may well have landed our own big fish in Rachele. Callaghan was another who was impressive against the Suns with 22 possessions and two long goals. However, he will have to watch our wings as they are both more than capable of not only keeping a leash on him, but doing damage the other way.

At the front line for GWS we have Hogan's Heroes, although Hogan isn't the official leader. Newly crowned captain in his own right, Toby Greene, is. The very smooth Hogan (Bob Crane) from the show, Toby is not. Both on and off the field he has had brain fades that may make him more akin to the bumbling Colonel Klink, or even worse, to the 'plank', Sergeant Schultz, but hey, what would I know? 'I know nothing'! Yet this I do know. Toby Greene is a very gifted footballer who can do damage the likes of which Hogan and his crew would be proud of.

What will the match ups be? Will Jordan Butts be fit and will he stand the dangerous 1.95m Jesse Hogan? Will the quickly improving Nick Murray stand the 1.95m Jake Riccardi? Then there is the 1.95m (future Crow?) Harry Himmelberg. Yet they will want to be on their guard and not too top heavy as we have the 1.92m kicking sensation Jordan Dawson and rebounding Smith who like to set up play and give drive from the back also, as well as the now fit interceptor, Tom Doedee. Will the Crows first draft pick from the recent 2022 draft, the very tight checking and athletic defender Max Michalanney, who can play on both talls and smalls, debut? Will he spend some time on Toby Greene as well as perhaps on the likes of James Peatling? I say yes, he will debut and yes, he will stand Toby for at least some of the time. (For the most likely line up see the last few pages of the thread on this, the Adelaide Board of Bigfooty.com, titled: Round 1 2023 - Pick your best team).

The Giant's have had the wood on the Crows in recent times. In round 7, 2021, they beat the Crows by 67 points. In the same round, round 7 last year, the margin was 59 points in what was another spanking. GWS have numerous quality players who also have plenty of experience, coupled with a good blend of emerging players, but so do the rebuilding Crows. GWS look rejuvenated under new coach Adam Kingsley. The Crows have looked very sharp and look like big improves in their two trial matches to date. Our talent, depth and minimal injuries are such that atm we are able to go past players like McHenry, Jones and Crouch, among others.

I am confident that the Crows will not be the pushovers we were in the past two encounters with the Giants. It may sound like I am bringing out the cliches, but this is how I see things. The game has all the hallmarks of being an epic arm wrestle between two fairly evenly matched sides who both see themselves on the up this year. GWS have the home town advantage. I am sure that both teams will really set themselves. GWS apparently have also got themselves super fit. In what could well be a classic, I am tipping the Crows to send a message to the competition as I do very much like the super quick and talented mosquito fleet we have assembled, along with our proven talls in Walker and Fogarty, the pressure we bring, our quick ball movement and the vastly improved skills by both hand and foot. Crows by 11-30!

Last edited:
GWS finished 16th last season and shipped out Taranto, Hopper, Bruhn etc.

This is a must win game to launch our season upwards, can't have last seasons 16th team beating us. Good chance Crows supporters will outnumber GWS supporters!

Thirteen games against non finalists, thirteen at AO, draws don't get any better than that, we should be close to, or making finals.

GWS finished 16th last season and shipped out Taranto, Hopper, Bruhn etc.

This is a must win game to launch our season upwards, can't have last seasons 16th team beating us. Good chance Crows supporters will outnumber GWS supporters!

Thirteen games against non finalists, thirteen at AO, draws don't get any better than that, we should be close to, or making finals.

I wouldn't take anything from last year into consideration when it comes to GWS. That was a group who'd finally got worn down by a poor coach. Now we're dealing with a group with talent/experience everywhere and likely in the new coach honeymoon.

It's certainly a tricky matchup, especially away, and one we'd need to be at our utmost best to win.

Matchups i'm most excited to see.

1) Sam Berry vs Tom Green: I pray those 2 meataxe kids line up on each other. Would be worth the price of admission.

2) Darcy Fogarty vs Sam Taylor: Quietly rate Sam Taylor, but loudly rate Darcy Fogarty. Plus I'm tipping Fog for 8 goals... Cause why the F*** not?

3) Jordan Dawson vs Toby Green: Battle of the El Capitano's. See who comes out on top.

4) Izak Rankine vs who-ever is unlucky enough to stand next to Izak Rankine; Honestly not sure who matches up against him in that side. Ash? Whitfield? Cumming? Feel like Izak is not a good matchup for any of them, and could easily get off the chain

GWS should be a lot better this year without the dragging anchor of Leon Cameron

I wouldn't take anything from last year into consideration when it comes to GWS. That was a group who'd finally got worn down by a poor coach. Now we're dealing with a group with talent/experience everywhere and likely in the new coach honeymoon.

It's certainly a tricky matchup, especially away, and one we'd need to be at our utmost best to win.
Agree with this 100%

Probably what worries me is that the Giants smashed us by ~10goals when Cameron was still there. He quit/sacked the Club just two weeks later and had a decent honeymoon period under the interim coach with some strong wins and narrow losses.

I can accept us losing to the Giants, given where we are at and where they are at, but I wont accept a bashing.

They also have Himmelberg who is playing forward according to the coach. Riccardi is also 195cm.

Why not
Murray - Hogan
Butts - Riccardi
Himmelberg on Himmelberg

Then play Thilthorpe

Himmelberg would easily beat Himmelberg no matter which end of the ground they are teamed up

Some of you may be interested in a preview that 'Giant Strides' wrote for the GWS Board. It prompted me to write the above (OP) for our Crows Board. I have let him know about this thread by saying 'you and your fellow Giant supporters are welcome to come across and take a look, read some comments and engage in some friendly discussion. I will also let them know about your preview and thread'. 'Giant Strides' preview and the subseqent discussion can be found here: Preview - 2023 Rd 1 - GWS Giants v Adelaide Crows, 1.10 pm Sunday 19 March @ Giants Stadium

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree. Himmelberg would beat Himmelberg in the forward line and Himmelberg would beat Himmelberg in the backline.
All I'm saying is that if I had to pick either Himmelberg or Himmelberg to win an all round Himmelberg vs Himmelberg contest, I'm picking Himmelberg hands down. There's no way Himmelberg would stand a chance. Himmelberg vs Himmelberg is a win to Himmelberg in offense, as is the Himmelberg vs Himmelberg battle in defense, with Himmelberg the winner. So overall that's why I think Himmelberg beats Himmelberg

" Will the Crows first draft pick from the recent 2022 draft, the very tight checking and athletic defender Max Michalanney, who can play on both talls and smalls, debut? Will he spend some time on Toby Greene "
⏫
Rough first assignment.

Great preview, looking forward to seeing our forward line click more than previous years. If the preseason style is anything to go by our tall forwards could be doing some damage this year.
I have faith in Idun/Cumming/Taylor to be stingy in D.
Rankine and Rachele are bothersome so our midfield will have to get on-top early.
Green gonna be a problem this year.

Adelaide by 101 points
Morgan Freeman Wtf GIF

Scorpus can you run a poll on what we should talk about till selection?

House prices
Geelong
Trees
Warren Tredrea

The days are shortening, the preseason trials are over and the grapes are being turned into wine, all signals that the AFL season proper, namely the home and away games, are about to begin. Both GWS under new coach Adam Kingsley and the Adelaide Crows have momentum going into the game to be played Saturday week.

GWS have only played the one preseason game so we only have a small sample size, but they were impressive in beating the Gold Coast Suns last Saturday. They moved the ball quickly and have some real pace. Their two Lachies at half back love to rebound and set up play. I am looking forward as to how we counter this. I suspect that Ben Keays may be asked to do to Lachlie Whitfield what he did to Adam Saad last year. This will be an absorbing duel. Whitfield will not be ambushed like Saad was. Can Keays lock down Whitfield while setting himself free to do some real damage as he did last week and against Saad? We will soon find out.

Adelaide will present not only the two Lachies, but the whole of the GWS defense with headaches of their own. The Crow's forward line pressure was replicated by the whole team in its game against the WCE last Friday evening in what was a very even and impressive display by the whole Crows team. If the GWS backs are too busy trying to make the play and take their focus off the Adelaide forwards even for a moment, they will be made to pay for it by the imense talent we now have assembled there. GWS 2022 All Australian and Best and Fairest winner by a long way, Sam Taylor, will have to mind either Walker or Fogarty. This will mean he is not minding the other. Once the ball hits the ground there is a deadly mosquito fleet waiting to capitalize that now includes explosive first round draft pick Luke Pedlar who has finally got his body right heading into this, his third season; McAdam who oozes x-factor; new recruit the classy Rankine and Rachele who, hopefully, will live up to his nickname 'the rash' and be all over the place, including occasional bursts in the center along with some of his other very quick forward mates.

Speaking of the midfield, this also looks like an intriguing battle. We know what Stephen Coniglio and Josh Kelley can do. If we thought the departure of Hopper and Taranto were going to give us automatic ascendancy, we will be caught off guard. 2019 draft pick, the strong, big bodied, tall midfielder Tom Green, standing at 191cm and 92kg, has come of age. He was outstanding against the Suns, racking up 32 disposals. We have excellent tacklers in Laird and Berry to help counter their midfield, and our mid's have weapons of their own, including our accumulator Laird who would be justified in having ambitions to be an AA later this year in his sights, along with the various pinch hitters that we will bring through there. I am interested to see what tactic we use to counter Tom Green as we do not have a quality tall, big bodied, mid. Our midfield are fighters, as seen by Laird's and Berry's tackle numbers. I expect some negating by us and thrust through our pinch hitters. If we can break even here I believe it will go a long way to helping us win the game.

The wings have become a strength for us. Mitch Hinge and the remarkably well recovered, aerobic, Sloane gives us some real hardness there. They will not be easily brushed off. This will be needed as GWS have a young shark there in Finn Callaghan, the one who some Crows supporters think got away, being taken at pick three in the 2021 draft, just a couple ahead of Rachele. The reality is we never had the draft capital to get Callaghan and there are some initial signs that we may well have landed our own big fish in Rachele. Callaghan was another who was impressive against the Suns with 22 possessions and two long goals. However, he will have to watch our wings as they are both more than capable of not only keeping a leash on him, but doing damage the other way.

At the front line for GWS we have Hogan's Heroes, although Hogan isn't the official leader. Newly crowned captain in his own right, Toby Greene, is. The very smooth Hogan (Bob Crane) from the show, Toby is not. Both on and off the field he has had brain fades that may make him more akin to the bumbling Colonel Klink, or even worse, to the 'plank', Sergeant Schultz, but hey, what would I know? 'I know nothing'! Yet this I do know. Toby Greene is a very gifted footballer who can do damage the likes of which Hogan and his crew would be proud of.

What will the match ups be? Will Jordan Butts be fit and will he stand the dangerous 1.95m Jesse Hogan? Will the quickly improving Nick Murray stand the 1.95m Jake Riccardi? Then there is the 1.95m (future Crow?) Harry Himmelberg. Yet they will want to be on their guard and not too top heavy as we have the 1.92m kicking sensation Jordan Dawson and rebounding Smith who like to set up play and give drive from the back also, as well as the now fit interceptor, Tom Doedee. Will the Crows first draft pick from the recent 2022 draft, the very tight checking and athletic defender Max Michalanney, who can play on both talls and smalls, debut? Will he spend some time on Toby Greene as well as perhaps on the likes of James Peatling? I say yes, he will debut and yes, he will stand Toby for at least some of the time. (For the most likely line up see the last few pages of the thread on this, the Adelaide Board of Bigfooty.com, titled: Round 1 2023 - Pick your best team).

The Giant's have had the wood on the Crows in recent times. In round 7, 2021, they beat the Crows by 67 points. In the same round, round 7 last year, the margin was 59 points in what was another spanking. GWS have numerous quality players who also have plenty of experience, coupled with a good blend of emerging players, but so do the rebuilding Crows. GWS look rejuvenated under new coach Adam Kingsley. The Crows have looked very sharp and look like big improves in their two trial matches to date. Our talent, depth and minimal injuries are such that atm we are able to go past players like McHenry, Jones and Crouch, among others.

I am confident that the Crows will not be the pushovers we were in the past two encounters with the Giants. It may sound like I am bringing out the cliches, but this is how I see things. The game has all the hallmarks of being an epic arm wrestle between two fairly evenly matched sides who both see themselves on the up this year. GWS have the home town advantage. I am sure that both teams will really set themselves. GWS apparently have also got themselves super fit. In what could well be a classic, I am tipping the Crows to send a message to the competition as I do very much like the super quick and talented mosquito fleet we have assembled, along with our proven talls in Walker and Fogarty, the pressure we bring, our quick ball movement and the vastly improved skills by both hand and foot. Crows by 11-30!
2 new captains as well

All I'm saying is that if I had to pick either Himmelberg or Himmelberg to win an all round Himmelberg vs Himmelberg contest, I'm picking Himmelberg hands down. There's no way Himmelberg would stand a chance. Himmelberg vs Himmelberg is a win to Himmelberg in offense, as is the Himmelberg vs Himmelberg battle in defense, with Himmelberg the winner. So overall that's why I think Himmelberg beats Himmelberg
Did you used to write for Abbott and Costello?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back