GWS Grand Final - 2020 ramifications

Remove this Banner Ad

And the first life on earth, from which we all derive, was a single celled organism; one that likely neither supported nor played for any Aussie rules team.

Where do we draw the line with such historical reference points I ask
Asked & answered
when you stop talking about f#*ing "plastic" ya [expletive deleted]-head.

until then - fair game.

Obviously a disappointing day but just thinking has a Victorian team ever had to travel 3 weeks in a row during finals?.While we didn't play well we looked cooked in a number of ways so u can understand how we fell apart after quarter time.
Crows had to travel 5 weeks in a row to win the 98 flag, last round of H&A plus 4 away finals.

You’re right. It’s all falling apart. I should keep quiet
Never did I mention falling apart. I stated that the Hawks underachieved in 2019. Surely you were looking forward to better than 9th in 2019? I just don’t get fans bagging a club that finished higher than yours.

What is probably more interesting than slamming the Giants, is looking at how teams responded after bad grand final losses

1994 Geelong (lost GF by 86 points) - following year made Grand Final

1995 Geelong (-64) - finished 6th 1996

2000 Melbourne (-80) - finished 13th 2001

2007 Port (-119) - finished 13th 2008

2014 Swans (-63) - finished 5th 2015

2017 Adelaide (-48) - finished 12th

Some spectacular falls from grace there
West coast Also lost the 1991 grand final by 53 points. In 1992, they made another grand final and beat the cats by 28 points

Nah Richmond were just too good, would have broken Geelongs margin record against anyone else.

Gws actually played a blinder.
You also need to look on How Both Richmond and GWS were playing leading up to the grand final.

Richmond Belted brisbane at the Gabba in the QF. Mind you this isnt exactly the brisbane team of 1999-2004. Richmond had a weeks rest so key players came back from injury and other players had some rest. Richmond beat the cats in the Prelim final too. Sure Richmond were trailing at half time. Richmond won 12.13.85 to cats 9.12.66. Despite the 3 goal win.... It felt like Richmond should of won that Prelim by 5-7 goals just like their 2017 QF win over the cats.

GWS on the other hand, beat the dogs at home. Did just enough to beat Brisbane at the Gabba in the semi finals. Had a 4-5 goal lead vs the magpies late in the game in the prelim and did just enough to win.

So on form, Richmond were fresh and near full strength without Alex Rance and maybe one or 2 other players in the 22.

GWS on the other hand were basically empty coming into the grand final.

Heaps of injuries, they took in unfit players, had a stinker, were against a team that hadn't lost since before the bye, with recent GF experience.

Sure it was the worst possible time for all that, but move on they are better than that and with a fit list will be a big chance to win it all in 2020.

And won a grand total of 7 games in their first four seasons for 3 wooden spoons - took them 32 years before they played in a final (in a 12 team comp), which coincidently was the first year they won more games than they lost, playing in front of home crowds averaging between 8.5 and 12.5k (ignoring the war years when they were down around the 4k mark - understandable) - but at least their membership broke through the 13k mark after 71 years, though, so there is that I suppose.

But... you know... VFL History... convenient only up to a point.

Back then it was tougher to make finals back then.....

12 team comp and onl 4 finals spots available. A 5th finals spot wasnt available until 1972. So 7 teams out of 12 still miss out on finals. Still less than 50% chance to make finals.

Having 8 teams in the finals didnt happen until 1994. Being a long suffering dockers fan. Only playing finals in 3 years out of 17 years from 1995-2011 is nothing short of underachieving. It took freo until 2003 for their 1st finals appearence. Again a half decent side should of made finals every 2nd year. I could escuse the 1st 4-6 years as the team was trying to build up a more experienced side. But still 3 times out of those 17 years is underachieving.

You also need to look on How Both Richmond and GWS were playing leading up to the grand final.

Richmond Belted brisbane at the Gabba in the QF. Mind you this isnt exactly the brisbane team of 1999-2004. Richmond had a weeks rest so key players came back from injury and other players had some rest. Richmond beat the cats in the Prelim final too. Sure Richmond were trailing at half time. Richmond won 12.13.85 to cats 9.12.66. Despite the 3 goal win.... It felt like Richmond should of won that Prelim by 5-7 goals just like their 2017 QF win over the cats.

GWS on the other hand, beat the dogs at home. Did just enough to beat Brisbane at the Gabba in the semi finals. Had a 4-5 goal lead vs the magpies late in the game in the prelim and did just enough to win.

So on form, Richmond were fresh and near full strength without Alex Rance and maybe one or 2 other players in the 22.

GWS on the other hand were basically empty coming into the grand final.

The only player we bought in for week 1 was nank and he had been playing vfl for weeks it was purely a balance change.

I do agree though we were flying and gws limped in.

If we played Collingwood though we would have given a 150 point win a red hot crack.

The only player we bought in for week 1 was nank and he had been playing vfl for weeks it was purely a balance change.

I do agree though we were flying and gws limped in.

If we played Collingwood though we would have given a 150 point win a red hot crack.
I looked at the 2 games your team faced the magpies.....

Collingwood did beat your mob by 44 points. Mind you, this was in the 1st half of the season when Richmond form was a bit inconsistent and had injuries.

The other game was richmond won by 32, this was after the bye when richmond had most of their players back and was back into the form that got them the 2017 flag.

Had you faced Collingwood in the Grand final, most signs would of pointed to a Richmond win between 20-40 points. But thats my thoughts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood did beat your mob by 44 points. Mind you, this was in the 1st half of the season when Richmond form was a bit inconsistent and had injuries.

The other game was richmond won by 32, this was after the bye when richmond had most of their players back and was back into the form that got them the 2017 flag.

Had you faced Collingwood in the Grand final, most signs would of pointed to a Richmond win between 20-40 points. But thats my thoughts.
There is only so far the Pies can go copying the Tigers. They need to be originals.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pies were more spent than gws were, could have even been 180 points

Dont blame gws, blame the pies for failing the week before. That should have been a regulation win.

perhaps a pounding would have occured anyways, but more likely a tighter tussle for sure

Remove this Banner Ad

Back