GWS Grand Final - 2020 ramifications

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously a disappointing day but just thinking has a Victorian team ever had to travel 3 weeks in a row during finals?.While we didn't play well we looked cooked in a number of ways so u can understand how we fell apart after quarter time.

Hawthorn's last 8 weeks of 2015 were tge stuff of legend. Including a finals series where they had to

Travel to WA
Travel back to the MCG
Travel back to WA
Travel back to the MCG

To get the job done. Not to mention also doing some interstate travel (WA and Tassie) in the back end of thd regular season.

Too old
Too slow
TOO GOOD!!!

Hawthorn's last 8 weeks of 2015 were tge stuff of legend. Including a finals series where they had to

Travel to WA
Travel back to the MCG
Travel back to WA
Travel back to the MCG

To get the job done. Not to mention also doing some interstate travel (WA and Tassie) in the back end of thd regular season.

Too old
Too slow
TOO GOOD!!!
Lol... “Travel back to the mcg”. Where else were they gunna go??

So your mighty 21-1 side only won by 10 goals because we didn't have any interest in competing. Gee, I wonder what would have happened if we tried to beat you guys? I knew you guys overrated the 2000 side, very lucky that we felt lazy on the day.

Yeah we’re so lucky with our overated side with an average winning margin of 7 goals over 25 games.

So much luck..

Yep but disgusting GF performance and shouldnt be forgotten or swept under the carpet.
A disgrace to the sport and the comp.
Similar to the bloods culture? Rort the salary cap with COLA to pay players extra and cheat the system. Live it up, when infinity strikes franklin is gone south melbourne will probably fold again

Yeah right.

Freo comes to mind.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Glad you brought that up.....

Go watch the 2nd and 3rd quarters of the freos prelim vs the Swans in 2013. Abosulutely destroyed the swans buy chasing them and tackling them to the ground. It was like 8 goals to 2 in those 2 quarters.

Then go watch the 2017 GF where in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, the tigers chased and tackled the crows relentlessly.

Then you look at Geelong in 2007 how they beat Port Adelaide. Mark Bomber Thompson actally admitted he used some of the West Coast tactics they used in their 2005-6 Grand final years. Well, Similar tactics in the midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Travel to WA
Travel back to the MCG
Travel back to WA
Travel back to the MCG

Too old
Too slow
TOO GOOD!!!
Home Grand Finals vs interstate clubs are gimme Grand Finals in modern history unless you are either A. Collingwood or B. s**t.
So you traveled interstate every odd week, least your finals were at your home game. Hardly worth bragging about.

I am somewhat amused by the comparison to the Mayblooms of 1925. I think that expansion to the inner eastern suburbs in the 1920s should be seen as rather different to expansion into the entire state of NSW which has occurred during my lifetime.

Speaking of which, I suspect things would have gone better for GWS if Buddy would have chosen the Giants rather than the Swans.

Come to think of it, perhaps his winning qualities would have rubbed off on the Giants more. He chose the wrong team probably.

I am somewhat amused by the comparison to the Mayblooms of 1925. I think that expansion to the inner eastern suburbs in the 1920s should be seen as rather different to expansion into the entire state of NSW which has occurred during my lifetime.

Speaking of which, I suspect things would have gone better for GWS if Buddy would have chosen the Giants rather than the Swans.

Come to think of it, perhaps his winning qualities would have rubbed off on the Giants more. He chose the wrong team probably.
We would of lost Jezza and quite a few others if we landed buddy.
Plus we wouldn't of gotten Mummy or Shaw.

Best thing to happen to the club was to not land Buddy.

Jeez OP were you in a coma for the last 2 months?

They had an amazing run until the GF and knocked off the one team (Collingwood) that would have challenged Richmond.

Squad still looks good. No big outs. They'll be fine.
No coma
I believed in them.

But 114 to 25 is utterly disastrous.
Just a no show.

Unless it comes out there was some serious virus that hit the whole team then they are in huge trouble.

No coma
I believed in them.

But 114 to 25 is utterly disastrous.
Just a no show.

Unless it comes out there was some serious virus that hit the whole team then they are in huge trouble.
I think it was always go into be a one-sided contest. But even though one match shouldnt define a season (yet it does), that scoreline is atrocious in reality.

Yeah we’re so lucky with our overated side with an average winning margin of 7 goals over 25 games.

So much luck..

Sarcasm mate.

I was just making light of your hyperbolic comment from earlier this thread.

"They didn’t put up a fight from the get go and just jogged around all day looking completely disinterested in competing. "

Rather than the truth, which was that we were completely outplayed. You downplay the strength of that incredible 2000 Dons side making comments as such. Do you really think any side would front up at a grand final and not care about competing. :rolleyes:

114 to 25

114 to 25

This is an absolute disgrace.

GWS huffed and puffed their way through August and September. They acted tough. They played like bullies.

But that GF performance is totally unforgiveable.

If I am an AFL coach of one of 16 sides and my side lose to GWS I am utterly filthy. The other 16 teams need to make them pay after that GF performance.

No side should ever be bulied by GWS again. They are a friggin joke. Huff and Puff.
Its funny you brough this up.

Yeah it was one sided.

If Any state had to feel bad when it comes the grand finals this year. Think of the WA footy watchers.

Anyone watched the 2019 WAFL grand final, Subiaco smashed south freo 120-24 I believe.

To be honest if GWS had one issue this year it would be their two performances against Hawthorn they let
Hawthorn "block up the toilet" twice and learnt nothing from the first game. They did suffer horrible injury
continuity at times to key players as well not to make an excuse for them at all. They should have lost
earlier in the finals and Brisbane and Collingwood will have to wear the necktie heading into 2020 the
necktie that self tightens and makes it hard to breathe properly.

GWS (A finals journey):

395 Disposals, 239/156, 24.69 Disposals Per Goal, Win Giants Stadium (Dogs) 319 season low
310 Disposals, 188/122, 25.83 Disposals Per Goal, Win Gabba (Bris) 329
338 Disposals, 238/100, 42.25 Disposals Per Goal, Win MCG (Coll) 337 season low
361 Disposals, 215/146, 120.33 Disposals Per Goal, Loss MCG (Rich) 362

Note: GWS achieved 400+ Disposals in four games in 2019, but none after round 11.

To be honest if GWS had one issue this year it would be their two performances against Hawthorn they let
Hawthorn "block up the toilet" twice and learnt nothing from the first game. They did suffer horrible injury
continuity at times to key players as well not to make an excuse for them at all. They should have lost
earlier in the finals and Brisbane and Collingwood will have to wear the necktie heading into 2020 the
necktie that self tightens and makes it hard to breathe properly.

GWS (A finals journey):

395 Disposals, 239/156, 24.69 Disposals Per Goal, Win Giants Stadium (Dogs) 319 season low
310 Disposals, 188/122, 25.83 Disposals Per Goal, Win Gabba (Bris) 329
338 Disposals, 238/100, 42.25 Disposals Per Goal, Win MCG (Coll) 337 season low
361 Disposals, 215/146, 120.33 Disposals Per Goal, Loss MCG (Rich) 362

Note: GWS achieved 400+ Disposals in four games in 2019, but none after round 11.
meh a strange stat i know......

you get 395 disposals in one game.

Not bad if you get your 12-15 goals and win.

Just a random though on what I will say on here.

I look at freos 2016 season when freo was at free fall and freos 2017 season where they looked semi decent.

In 2016, freo were scoring 71.5 points a game, conceding 96. Freo ended up 16th with 4 wins and 18 defeats.
In 2017, Freo were scoring 73 points a game conceding 98. Freo ended up 14th with 8 wins and 14 defeats. North ended up 15th with 6 wins and 16 defeats and could of switched spots with freo on 14th had they beaten freo in one of those close games.

So it was a 4 goal difference each game. Averaging 10 goals a game conceding 14 or 15 goals a game. 73 points could be 10.13.73 or 11.7.73. 98 points could of been 15.8.98 or 14.14.98.

I looked back in 2016 in frustration as Freo were 0-10 and was constantly beaten by 20-40 points a game.

In 2017, We went from losing by 40-80 points one week then narrowly winning games the next week. and we ended up with a 6-4 record after 10 games.

The point is..... Stats can be accurate and at the same time stats can be decieving at the same time.

If your team is averaging 10 goals a game, I dont think you are as restricted. Theres a variation. Your team can have a bad game and kicks 3-5 goals and get a heavy loss. the next week your team can kick 14-16 goals and score 100 points

Travel to WA
Travel back to the MCG
Travel back to WA
Travel back to the MCG

Too old
Too slow
TOO GOOD!!!

interstate teams have to travel every second week ... all season ... every season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back