GWS poor recruiting?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cornes, Brogan and Power will be poor signings - I don't care what anyone says.
They are all early-mid 30's with very little footy left in them. Clogging up the list when they may as well play youngsters for a couple of years- they will get belted either way.
Yes these players could offer advice and help the youngsters develop but recruiting 3 32/33 year olds who have just basically acknowledged they are finished, is overboard.

I think part of the reason Sheedy is opting for established retired players is in desperation because of the fact he hasn't lured a big name player over in the Ablett mold.

Cornes, Brogan and Power will be poor signings - I don't care what anyone says.
They are all early-mid 30's with very little footy left in them. Clogging up the list when they may as well play youngsters for a couple of years- they will get belted either way.
Yes these players could offer advice and help the youngsters develop but recruiting 3 32/33 year olds who have just basically acknowledged they are finished, is overboard.

I think part of the reason Sheedy is opting for established retired players is in desperation because of the fact he hasn't lured a big name player over in the Ablett mold.
Yet GWS will still win a preimership before North Melborune do, regardless of their recruiting of veteran players.

Crazy that.

As long it is the Bulldogs Sam Reid then that is okay.
You can breathe easy RUNVS :D

That Sam Reid has a younger brother, Ben, who is in the development squad at GWS. Sam is also close mates with Ward so will be the set of steak knives.

I agree that they will cop some massive hidings this year. They most likely won't win a game either but that really shouldn't be their target.

I like the way they have signed players so far. Ward, Scully (if picked up), Palmer and Davis are still young and have a heap of potential (yes even Palmer has a little bit).

When they are in their prime the kids they draft won't be too far off which should make them a very good team. The veterens they are recruiting now will be more for leadership for the first few years. Show the kids how to train and what is expected etc etc. Good move :thumbsu:

Yet GWS will still win a preimership before North Melborune do, regardless of their recruiting of veteran players.

Crazy that.

Whats that got to do with anything?
In that case they will win a flag before your club as well which is treading in no mans land similar to us. :)

I agree that they will cop some massive hidings this year. They most likely won't win a game either but that really shouldn't be their target.

I like the way they have signed players so far. Ward, Scully (if picked up), Palmer and Davis are still young and have a heap of potential (yes even Palmer has a little bit).

When they are in their prime the kids they draft won't be too far off which should make them a very good team. The veterens they are recruiting now will be more for leadership for the first few years. Show the kids how to train and what is expected etc etc. Good move :thumbsu:

They said that about Gold Coast too.

Absolutely noting wrong with signing some seasoned professional hard nuts to help some of these kids.

GWS have had the luxury of sitting back all year and see what has worked and what hasn't worked for GC. Some of those kids shouldn' have played this year, some should have had less game time. One year contracts to older blokes to give some guidance and professionalism cannot hurt.

Who are all these kids going to look too to know how to prepare and train to be an elite AFL footballer from who has signed so far? None of the uncontracted players have achieved much so far and Ward is the only one of the 4 rumoured the most who hasn't spent most of his career in the medical rooms.

Brogan is an odd one more from his point of view than anything else. His body has struggled all year. He is a Port champ. Not sure why he is going around again cos his body is gonna need a miracle to stand up. Does GWS have a Smith in their ranks?
Chad is a good one to have as a big body forward. Something GC missed sorely this year. Chad w/Izzy will be a fairly imposing forward line

the middle is taking shape with Ward, Palmer and lets assume Scully if he went up today to scope things out.
A few more developed mids from other clubs are likely from the 17yo trades that are likely to occur.

I imagine there will be 3-4 more signings from other clubs though as the finals begin to settle.
I dont imagine too many players outside the top 8 teams are being targeted if we arent hearing about them now.

To the people saying getting older players is useless and all that matters is the premiership window, that is BS. It is extremely important that the team is at least reasonably competitive from the start and to do that they need mature bodies. Even if they're only there for 1 or 2 years they'll be exactly what the club needs. Most draftees aren't anywhere near ready for afl football, especially not with mature bodies all around them. Just look at the GC forward line - completely disfunctional without mature players who know what they're doing. IMO, GWS should be aiming to get at least 10 players from other lists, along with about 5 VFL/ SAFL/ WAFL players. Even with that, there's still going to be about 30 kids on their list to choose from, and to develop for the future.

Don't both Goddard and Pendlebury come out of contract next year? If they can get both of them, the team will significantly improve and could become a finals team around 2015.

That should coincide with Ward, Scully, Palmer and Davis hitting their peak. Pendlebury would still be a top player and Goddard would be 30.

Pendles does come out of contract at the end of next year and they should definitely chase him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was made captain in the off-season. Just get the feeling Maxwell might choose to pass the baton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can breathe easy RUNVS :D

That Sam Reid has a younger brother, Ben, who is in the development squad at GWS. Sam is also close mates with Ward so will be the set of steak knives.

I know the names Sam, Ben and Reid are not uncommon but the odds of two sets of Sam and Ben Reid's must be huge.

On another note i am a bit worried about GWS's recruiting as while i am always a Swans support and will cheer them on for every game i want to see the Giants become a successful club and i just feel they have let themselves down big time with their recruiting as the uncontracted players Gold Coast got were for the most part top quality players while GWS have only managed to get bit players from other teams.

I thought GWS would recruit more players with AFL experience than Gold Coast did but it looks now that they may recruit less which to me sounds very dangerous.

Don't be quick to wtite off GWS and say they will not win a game next year. Remember they still have to trade away the picks to get access to kids like Jeager O'Meara etc. These will net them a number of experienced player yet most likely, and these won't be traded away for chumps either. And you can trade players with time left on their contracts if the player agrees, so don't presume that anyone is 100% safe just yet. The next few months are going to be hella interesting.

Yep, clever recruiting. The 26 year olds will be either retired or close to retired when premiership window opens. So sign the young gun 21 year olds as the out of contracts. Then they have 4 x 17 year old picks where clubs will basically give them experienced players for free. Smart.

It could be argued that recruiting emerging young players over established stars is good recruiting to bolster a squad to a premiership widow in 3-4 yr
however?
What happened to the salery cap?
I was under the thinking that if you have access to 8-10 first round draft pics then come 3-4 years time you will have a lot of stars demanding marque money.!
Then you add the emerging stars like a Skully and a Ward, who will be demanding experienced players wages.!
Therefore the Gold Coast recruiting seems pretty sound given that their experienced recruits will likely be finishing up in 3-4 years giving space to sign their developing young list.!

Nothing wrong with their strategy.

Recruit 5-7 players in the 19-22 bracket who will still be in their prime when the draftees are getting to that 50-100 game bracket.

Recruit 5-7 veterans/discards for next to nothing and have them help establish a strong culture and help lead the youngsters for a couple of years.

Ideally they would have signed higher calibre players but not everyone wants to play in West Sydney.

I've been wondering why the GWS have been approaching established players only 2-3 years into there career.

They've signed Davis and Ward, with Palmer/Sculley to come. IMO these are poor signings. Not saying that they are bad players, but GWS already have access to some great talent with first crack at the best 17 year olds. They also have 9 top 20 picks in this draft, so they have plently of youth.

As the GCS have showed, the AFL season is very long for a young team. And an experienced player/body or 2 is needed in each line (Back, Mids, Forwards).

The players mention above don't deserve this money yet that has been rumoured!

Why haven't GWS thrown this money to proven 26 years old who have achieve team success and can provide much needed on and off field leadership?
on top of that there getting geriatrics who've retired, Cornes, Brogan, Power etc, they are going to be absolute rubbish next year and will not win a game

What happened to the salery cap?
I was under the thinking that if you have access to 8-10 first round draft pics then come 3-4 years time you will have a lot of stars demanding marque money.!
Then you add the emerging stars like a Skully and a Ward, who will be demanding experienced players wages.!
Consensus is that Ward's contract ( and presumably Scully's if he signs) is very heavily weighted at the front end to give them salary-cap room in 2-3 yrs time.

This is a smart long term strategy, just hope their not a disgrace for their first few years as that will not help them win over ws at all and embarass the AFL.

Hopefully they have the long term covered with scully palmer ect, but also gonna cover the short term with power brogan chornes ect for low pay, that would be the smartest imo.

They are not done yet. There is still a rumour about a big fish signing for this year. They have next year also. Notice that Pendlebury has only signed a 1 year deal at Collingwood. I reckon he might be a bit like Ablett, won a couple of flags perhaps a Brownlow, so he might like the extra cash and a new challenge. Would be nice to see those clubs who are yet to contribute anythiing meaningfull to the expansion actually have to do so and experience some of the pain. Least they can't take any more from the dogs!

I think going after guys who have had 2 to 4 years in the system, who are very good players already like Ward and Scully is a smart move it will take the draft kids 4 to 5 years before they will be even start hitting their straps, the likes of Ward and Scully will be right at their peak. They are also easier to recruit with the money lure.

i think they have done a pretty good job so far,got some young decent players some old hands to protect all the 18 yo s running around next season and 1 more year to get some big names.
would also like to see brett jones on the paddock for them next yr

They are not done yet. There is still a rumour about a big fish signing for this year. They have next year also. Notice that Pendlebury has only signed a 1 year deal at Collingwood. I reckon he might be a bit like Ablett, won a couple of flags perhaps a Brownlow, so he might like the extra cash and a new challenge. Would be nice to see those clubs who are yet to contribute anythiing meaningfull to the expansion actually have to do so and experience some of the pain. Least they can't take any more from the dogs!

I think going after guys who have had 2 to 4 years in the system, who are very good players already like Ward and Scully is a smart move it will take the draft kids 4 to 5 years before they will be even start hitting their straps, the likes of Ward and Scully will be right at their peak. They are also easier to recruit with the money lure.

I reckon Pendlebury and Goddard will go next year, they will be offered over 1 million a year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back