Opinion Hamish Hartlett - What now?

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree he's playing some pretty good footy and while his kicking could get better (he's no orphan there) he looks as likely to be the successor to Boak as Butters is. Although Butters is a better player I think Drew can only play in the midfield.

There's nothing particularly flashy about him but he wins his own ball and puts on a lot of blocks around stoppages, opening up space for the more creative players to go to work. Every successful team has a Willem Drew or two.

There's nothing particularly flashy about him but he wins his own ball and puts on a lot of blocks around stoppages, opening up space for the more creative players to go to work. Every successful team has a Willem Drew or two.
He's a good accumulator good honest blue collar footballer.

I'd call Kane Cornes an accumulator. Drew plays a much more selfless game than that.
I think you're a bit hard on Kane. But anyway I call an accumulator someone who gets the ball a lot and gets his own ball. As in Fogarty and Chase Jones are not accumulators. :) I don't have a negative connotation on that term because a team needs different types of players.

I'd call Kane Cornes an accumulator. Drew plays a much more selfless game than that.

Yes, as a guy who played as one of the league's best stoppers for the majority of his career, Kanes game was obviously based on selfishness.

Drew is doing alright. He uses his size well and should become more consistent and damaging with experience. Make no mistake he is playing because he is young and Rockliff is not, and it may have cost us in some games. But that is what happens when you blood young players. The trick is knowing when you need to play experience over youth, and I don't trust Hinkley to make those selections. But that nothing new, I don't trust Hinkley to make a lot of selections. Whether Hartlett has been injured or not, there are some games he just shouldn't have been playing. His form has been way off and we have had more than capable replacements. Both of whom could have kicked more than one 60m goal given the opportunity.

I have no issue with Hartlett in the team and I think if we had less injuries down back he might have had a week off to sort out his injury.
As for Rockliff, I think he should have played the 2 games we lost in the rain.
First quarter, Hartlett was too slow. Cost us a goal.

My biggest knock on Hartlett is his durability. 182/275 games played vs Boak 290/322

In response to previous comments

He can't be an inside midfielder because we have better options. He's not classy enough to be an outside midfielder. Look at someone like Pendlebury, who is always steady and composed. Hartlett always seems rushed.

First quarter, Hartlett was too slow. Cost us a goal.

My biggest knock on Hartlett is his durability. 182/275 games played vs Boak 290/322

In response to previous comments

He can't be an inside midfielder because we have better options. He's not classy enough to be an outside midfielder. Look at someone like Pendlebury, who is always steady and composed. Hartlett always seems rushed.
And injuries is the reason why he plays back. The soft tissue injuries he had early in his career made it impossible for him to be midfielder.

You have to accept all players have limitations and weaknesses and you have to work within those boundaries.

Hartlett is getting close to the end I don't see the need to push him out the door. At the moment I still don't see anyone smacking down the door to take his spot. Jones will when he's back from injury. Now with Clurey's injury we are another man down.

And injuries is the reason why he plays back. The soft tissue injuries he had early in his career made it impossible for him to be midfielder.

You have to accept all players have limitations and weaknesses and you have to work within those boundaries.

Hartlett is getting close to the end I don't see the need to push him out the door. At the moment I still don't see anyone smacking down the door to take his spot. Jones will when he's back from injury. Now with Clurey's injury we are another man down.

Gotta disagree, both Lienert and McKenzie are better options for Hartletts position

PORT ADELAIDE defender Hamish Hartlett has opened up about the “mental anguish” he has caused himself as he tries to regain his best form.

Hartlett won’t feature against Fremantle on Sunday, having been omitted from Port Adelaide’s line-up.

The 30-year-old member of Port Adelaide’s leadership group will instead play in the SANFL with the Magpies on Saturday.

“Matty Lokan has already asked what position I want to play so having that freedom is going to be really important in terms of finding some more consistent form and see how things go from there.

“But I can’t wait to play tomorrow.”

Seeing what position Hartlett chooses to play will be fascinating.

Imagine if he reinvents himself into the inside mid we need. His pace would be less of an issue then and his kick would be very handy.

Pipe dream I know but...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't stand the KFC drum clip per quarter. He too must cringe watching himself on screen. Opponents must have a field day with a plethora of appropriate sledges
for 1 million to the club I'm sure you can put up with it!

“Matty Lokan has already asked what position I want to play so having that freedom is going to be really important in terms of finding some more consistent form and see how things go from there.

Imagine if he reinvents himself into the inside mid we need. His pace would be less of an issue then and his kick would be very handy.

Pipe dream I know but...
My bet is forward pocket

Kane spent his whole career holding hands with the best oppo midfielder, Kane always put his tagging role ahead of him getting the ball, if you ever watched him play the way he got so much possession is because he used it as a tool to torment the player he was tagging, he would wait till that player wasnt in a position to get the ball and then run to get a cheap handball in the backline or do a short lead to get a mark, i reckon half of his possession were got that way. He would then go back to the player he was tagging and tell him how many possessions he had. I remember 1 game where he was standing Voss and he took him to the cleaners and kicked 3 goals himself.

Pipe dream I know but...

full forward

only 3cm shorter than jason "the fat piggy" dunstall

Pipe dream I know but...
I've heard he is in the best shape of his life and training the house down, ready for his breakout season yada yada yada

So where did he play in the reserves?

When Clurey is back, do we shuffle McKenzie into Hartlett’s role? Essentially a taller, fitter and more versatile version.

As we desperately need a pure inside mid who tackles, could Hartlett be that?

Have to say, as one of my favourite players, Hammer’s time in the AFL looks very over. Tough as nails but sadly seems like that next level player he maybe could have been, was brought undone by recurring injuries.

Yea I’m just hoping he has something left. Sadly that might be running around for the maggies.
Hopefully he does and proves us all wrong, but don’t think there is any chance he gets moved into the midfield .

That said, I would be playing him in the midfield at the SANFL to make sure he is influencing games as much as possible and as involved as possible to help him find form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back