Opinion Hawthorn - Clarkson - Fagan Racism Investigation

Remove this Banner Ad

Alastair Clarkson, Chris Fagan and Mark Evans accused by Hawthorn whistleblower of behaving like the ‘Russian Mafia’​

Alastair Clarkson, Chris Fagan and Mark Evans were accused by a fellow Hawthorn coach of running the football department like the “Russian Mafia’’, the club’s review of its handling of Indigenous players reveals.

The report further concluded that between 2010 and 2016, coaches Clarkson, Fagan and Jason Burt used “bullying and intimidation’’ against Indigenous players and their partners, with the incidents so serious as to “amount to human rights abuses’’

The report asserted that the alleged treatment at the club of First Nations players involved “bullying and intimidation tactics … to be used to isolate First Nations players from their families and communities”

A Hawks coach, who the Herald Sun has chosen not to name, told the reviewers: “If you dare question their methods, you were frozen out.”

“I knew this day would come,’’ the insider told the authors, according to the report.

The testimony of one partner said: “For three grown men (Clarkson, Fagan and Burt) to have walked into my house with no warning, and intimidate, trap and bully me full well knowing I’m carrying a child is just by no means acceptable.

A player told the authors: “My partner and daughter were then not allowed to fly over to Melbourne to come and see me until my daughter was four months old, as the club had told my partner and myself that they would be a distraction to my football career.

“When I was delisted, all my past trauma resurfaced, and I have been extremely unwell since. I am now deemed disabled, and I am on disability support pension, and I am also awaiting NDIS funding for a full time support worker to work with me 7 days a week

Another testimony described a Clarkson visit to their home. “Alister (sic) Clarkson came over to visit us one night. I remember his comments as soon as he entered the house because I was so shocked. Clarko – “Oh (player’s name) this house is nice, you have the kids artwork up and it’s nice and clean. You should invite your teammates over for dinner and things. For all they know you’re living in a shack in the desert somewhere”.

‘’I was insulted straight away. It was clear that this Hawthorn official had a view on how Aboriginal people live and he wasn’t shy in voicing it.’’

Of course, "when I was delisted all this past trauma came flooding back". Funny how past trauma only comes back when you're career is over.

Of course, "when I was delisted all this past trauma came flooding back". Funny how past trauma only comes back when you're career is over.
Yeah, amazing that negatives from your past come crashing back down when you're at rock bottom and at your most vulnerable

Who’s in the gun here to pay up?
The individuals, hawthorn or the AFL?

That’s a great question, and it’s not clear that it’s anyone.

Hawthorn & AFL as employers perhaps?

It would depend on what actual events prove to be credible, and what link can be drawn to actual damage incurred.

Not sure it will be all that straight forward. For example the former (?) partner of a player has no standing at all.

This is becoming worse by the day. Pretty sad.

The sheer weight of evidence piling up against those accused is making it harder by the day that they will be able to maintain this image of innocence by hiding behind a legal team.

What I feel is going to stop Clarkson and Fagan falling on their sword and coming clean is the monumental character assassination that awaits for them. They will over night become the most hated men in Australian history.

Alastair Clarkson, Chris Fagan and Mark Evans accused by Hawthorn whistleblower of behaving like the ‘Russian Mafia’​

Alastair Clarkson, Chris Fagan and Mark Evans were accused by a fellow Hawthorn coach of running the football department like the “Russian Mafia’’, the club’s review of its handling of Indigenous players reveals.

The report further concluded that between 2010 and 2016, coaches Clarkson, Fagan and Jason Burt used “bullying and intimidation’’ against Indigenous players and their partners, with the incidents so serious as to “amount to human rights abuses’’

While I wouldn’t take this article completely on face value (two sides to every story and all that) I touched on this in a post years ago. You know, back in those bow and arrow days of the iPhone six and Donald Trump‘s Twitter.

It’s as relevant today as it was then.

This is why you'll often see resentment behind the scenes of some organizations that've had huge success. They got there by shafting each other. They give the facade of a happy family, but behind the scenes there's massive inequality.

That’s a great question, and it’s not clear that it’s anyone.

Hawthorn & AFL as employers perhaps?

It would depend on what actual events prove to be credible, and what link can be drawn to actual damage incurred.

Not sure it will be all that straight forward. For example the former (?) partner of a player has no standing at all.

I am all for due process but there comes a point where the weight of evidence provided by witnesses and those involved simply outweighs the possibility of an orchestrated lie. We have well and truly passed that point. I think what we are waiting for now is Fagan and Clarksons legal teams to come up with a defence. They have to really. As stated in an above post, its kind of the only option. Admit guilt, they are not only gone, but they become the most hated men ever and probably have their lives and family living in danger. So planning a defence that discredits the allegations is all they can do. I can't see them succeeding.

The sheer weight of evidence piling up against those accused is making it harder by the day that they will be able to maintain this image of innocence by hiding behind a legal team.

What I feel is going to stop Clarkson and Fagan falling on their sword and coming clean is the monumental character assassination that awaits for them. They will over night become the most hated men in Australian history.

How is the weight of evidence any different?

Peter Gordon is no league patsy.

His law firm is one of the largest representatives of victims of safeguarding and employee abuse in Australia & Europe

Slater and Gordon are who you go to if you’ve been wronged.

Peter Gordon is the defence shield against accusations of whitewashing.
And who’s going to be paying Peter Gordon for his services?..

Oh, thats right.. the AFL!!!!…

So Peter Gordon is going to be working in the, and for the, interests of the AFL..

And who’s going to be paying Peter Gordon for his services?..

Oh, thats right.. the AFL!!!!…

So Peter Gordon is going to be working in the, and for the, interests of the AFL..
No ....Peter Gordon having recently started up a new law firm ...is promoting his own interests, via the publicity this case will generate for his Company

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's the same, known evidence in different form.

The lead is Phil Egan, who did say that. My thoughts are I wonder if the coach was indigenous and therefore caught in the scope?

Are we getting confused between the report done for Hawthorn and the reporting done by the ABC? Quite probable that the reporter has been given names outside the report to corroborate the stories

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Are we getting confused between the report done for Hawthorn and the reporting done by the ABC? Quite probable that the reporter has been given names outside the report to corroborate the stories

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Absolutely .....many are talking as if the two are one and the same

The common denominator though is Phil Eagan

Are we getting confused between the report done for Hawthorn and the reporting done by the ABC?

Nope

“Alastair Clarkson, Chris Fagan and Mark Evans were accused by a fellow Hawthorn coach of running the football department like the “Russian Mafia’’, the club’s review of its handling of Indigenous players reveals.”

I said somewhere earlier that there's a lot to be gained by NM knifing Clarkson.

Already has the huge feel of death by a thousand cuts.
Don't think NORTH would have any grounds to sever Clarkson's Contract .......not on accusations ....and not if it's their choice to delay the start date of his coaching tenure

Remove this Banner Ad

Back