Opinion Hawthorn - Clarkson - Fagan Racism Investigation

Remove this Banner Ad

Alastair Clarkson, Chris Fagan and Mark Evans accused by Hawthorn whistleblower of behaving like the ‘Russian Mafia’​

Alastair Clarkson, Chris Fagan and Mark Evans were accused by a fellow Hawthorn coach of running the football department like the “Russian Mafia’’, the club’s review of its handling of Indigenous players reveals.

The report further concluded that between 2010 and 2016, coaches Clarkson, Fagan and Jason Burt used “bullying and intimidation’’ against Indigenous players and their partners, with the incidents so serious as to “amount to human rights abuses’’

The report asserted that the alleged treatment at the club of First Nations players involved “bullying and intimidation tactics … to be used to isolate First Nations players from their families and communities”

A Hawks coach, who the Herald Sun has chosen not to name, told the reviewers: “If you dare question their methods, you were frozen out.”

“I knew this day would come,’’ the insider told the authors, according to the report.

The testimony of one partner said: “For three grown men (Clarkson, Fagan and Burt) to have walked into my house with no warning, and intimidate, trap and bully me full well knowing I’m carrying a child is just by no means acceptable.

A player told the authors: “My partner and daughter were then not allowed to fly over to Melbourne to come and see me until my daughter was four months old, as the club had told my partner and myself that they would be a distraction to my football career.

“When I was delisted, all my past trauma resurfaced, and I have been extremely unwell since. I am now deemed disabled, and I am on disability support pension, and I am also awaiting NDIS funding for a full time support worker to work with me 7 days a week

Another testimony described a Clarkson visit to their home. “Alister (sic) Clarkson came over to visit us one night. I remember his comments as soon as he entered the house because I was so shocked. Clarko – “Oh (player’s name) this house is nice, you have the kids artwork up and it’s nice and clean. You should invite your teammates over for dinner and things. For all they know you’re living in a shack in the desert somewhere”.

‘’I was insulted straight away. It was clear that this Hawthorn official had a view on how Aboriginal people live and he wasn’t shy in voicing it.’’

I'm not convinced they get off outright if the AFL get their way.
Whitewashing to protect 2-3 of their own vs the backlash/damage to brand yada yada yada of any perceived whitewash or no case to answer finding. I can seen them throwing the Coaches under the bus in a heartbeat to protect their own interests/be seen to be doing the right thing.

Its a Damned if you do,damned if you don't situation for them where either way you look at it, the AFL are compromised.

Back to my original question(which wasn't clear).
What more would you have the AFL do to be considered "inclusive"?
I see it as way more inclusive than most industries.

It is more inclusive than most - but cases like this still highlight the amateur level the comp runs at and also that a lot of the inclusiveness is superficial

Don’t get me wrong they do a lot of good - the footy math program the Crows are doing is one of many examples - but there is a lot more that could be done given the amount of money that goes through the competition

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Alastair Clarkson, Chris Fagan and Mark Evans accused by Hawthorn whistleblower of behaving like the ‘Russian Mafia’​

Alastair Clarkson, Chris Fagan and Mark Evans were accused by a fellow Hawthorn coach of running the football department like the “Russian Mafia’’, the club’s review of its handling of Indigenous players reveals.

The report further concluded that between 2010 and 2016, coaches Clarkson, Fagan and Jason Burt used “bullying and intimidation’’ against Indigenous players and their partners, with the incidents so serious as to “amount to human rights abuses’’

The report asserted that the alleged treatment at the club of First Nations players involved “bullying and intimidation tactics … to be used to isolate First Nations players from their families and communities”

A Hawks coach, who the Herald Sun has chosen not to name, told the reviewers: “If you dare question their methods, you were frozen out.”

“I knew this day would come,’’ the insider told the authors, according to the report.

The testimony of one partner said: “For three grown men (Clarkson, Fagan and Burt) to have walked into my house with no warning, and intimidate, trap and bully me full well knowing I’m carrying a child is just by no means acceptable.

A player told the authors: “My partner and daughter were then not allowed to fly over to Melbourne to come and see me until my daughter was four months old, as the club had told my partner and myself that they would be a distraction to my football career.

“When I was delisted, all my past trauma resurfaced, and I have been extremely unwell since. I am now deemed disabled, and I am on disability support pension, and I am also awaiting NDIS funding for a full time support worker to work with me 7 days a week

Another testimony described a Clarkson visit to their home. “Alister (sic) Clarkson came over to visit us one night. I remember his comments as soon as he entered the house because I was so shocked. Clarko – “Oh (player’s name) this house is nice, you have the kids artwork up and it’s nice and clean. You should invite your teammates over for dinner and things. For all they know you’re living in a shack in the desert somewhere”.

‘’I was insulted straight away. It was clear that this Hawthorn official had a view on how Aboriginal people live and he wasn’t shy in voicing it.’’

If true this is the end of their careers, Period

Attachments

• 1664275669642.png
    1664275669642.png
    175.6 KB · Views: 35
The reason this is in the media is precisely because (I would imagine) the accusers explicitly don't want this confined to an AFL investigation. An organization with a history of cover ups and sweeping things under the rug. The AFL will try their best to keep it in house as they always do but it's already out

This is in the media because the accusers want money. It seems to be the first step to civil litigation

And I should be clear here, I have no issues with anyone deciding they’d like some cashola to settle a grievance.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with someone preferring potentially life altering settlements over sending a message or pursuing change.

the media is to make the league squirm, and to encourage early (and large) settlement. I think they’ve got that wrong though, the blow up is already so big that no easy settlement is likely imo.

So Coaches were contacted as part of the review?

I thought the lead lad(can't remember his name) that conducted it said they weren't and that they only interviewed Indigenous players.

Agreed.

"AFL appointed independent panel" is a complete and utter oxymoron.
Essentially a toothless Tiger to boot.

Peter Gordon is no league patsy.

His law firm is one of the largest representatives of victims of safeguarding and employee abuse in Australia & Europe

Slater and Gordon are who you go to if you’ve been wronged.

Peter Gordon is the defence shield against accusations of whitewashing.

This is in the media because the accusers want money. It seems to be the first step to civil litigation

And I should be clear here, I have no issues with anyone deciding they’d like some cashola to settle a grievance.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with someone preferring potentially life altering settlements over sending a message or pursuing change.

the media is to make the league squirm, and to encourage early (and large) settlement. I think they’ve got that wrong though, the blow up is already so big that no easy settlement is likely imo.

They probably could have gotten a hefty sum of hush money from the AFL covering it up if they kept it private

Peter Gordon is no league patsy.

His law firm is one of the largest representatives of victims of safeguarding and employee abuse in Australia & Europe

Slater and Gordon are who you go to if you’ve been wronged.

Peter Gordon is the defence shield against accusations of whitewashing.

Is this who the AFL are handing control of the process over to?
Or am I missing the point?

Why didn’t he say something? If things were as bad he claimed, shouldn’t he whistleblown?

Also how is it the report spoke to only 1 coach? I thought it was only a listening exercise for indigenous people involved with HFC.

If the coach in question was spoken to because he was indigenous, his identity will be known pretty quickly. Did he consent to being outed?

Anyway, I’m sure these questions will be answered in time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Coaches were contacted as part of the review?

I thought the lead lad(can't remember his name) that conducted it said they weren't and that they only interviewed Indigenous players.

The lead is Phil Egan, who did say that. My thoughts are I wonder if the coach was indigenous and therefore caught in the scope?

He’s chair of the investigation

You appoint Peter Gordon so no one can accuse you of trying to fix the outcome

He's acted on behalf of the AFL and worked within their system.
Doesnt that render him conflicted, or at least leave the process open to the suggestion?

He's acted on behalf of the AFL and worked within their system.
Doesnt that render him conflicted, or at least leave the process open to the suggestion?

Definitely not. He’s the ex president of Footscray/WBD he’s fought AFL house his whole life.

He’s not signing up to anything that impinges on his independence or risks his reputation

Besides the terms of references of investigations are germane to any related legal actions. They get scrutinised heavily

Not saying you're wrong but didn't the review uncover and instigate all of this? Not the players? In some respects, it just seems like they're telling their side of the story.

The report was anonymous, there are no names.

The report and names (not in the report) was in the hands of the journalist early enough that he could investigate and write a detailed long form article within 2 weeks of the report being with filed (confidentially) with HFC and 1 week of it being at AFL house

And of course they’ve already appointed a leading lawyer.

My theory, based on just my opinion and some knowledge of these types of matters, is that this:

Cyril Rioli knows all of this. His anger with HFC is not fully explained by his experiences I.e. what he said in April was pretty trivial and inconsequential relative to his anger and estrangement

Caroline Wilson claimed at the time, April, to know there was a lot more behind the scenes (via Cyril)

The indigenous leaders at HFC didn’t know about this, so it wasn’t widely known

So how did the families know each other, enough to coordinate and all talk to the journalist? How did he know who they were?

I’m assuming Phil Egan was professional enough not to break confidences.

My theory is that Caroline Wilson has been in the background (and I make no criticism of her), and talking to all of them.

Once the report (which would not have taken long to interview, compile, write up, and submit - say, 4 weeks), was in train, and they had said their piece. I think Caroline Wilson handed the job off to a proper journalist. This isn’t her lane

Caro has her sources, once she knows the report is in (either at HFC or AFL house) she green lights Russell Jackson

Either Wilson or Jackson introduces the families to the very prominent lawyer.

Who is paying the lawyer? I say it must have been a high powered introduction to get the meeting and agree to take it on spec

Then with all pieces in place, Jackson files his article

* I’m not saying anything is wrong with any of this, in fact it would be entirely proper and correct. This would be a perfectly normal progression

And on top of this, the families who are getting high quality legal advice, are talking about not participating in the investigation - which would sidestep any complicity of theirs in the outcomes. A standard legal manoeuvre

This is just an educated guess, and I see nothing necessarily wrong with any of it.

Hawthorn racism scandal: Read the harrowing allegations of former players and their partners in full​

Disturbing allegations of abuse from former Hawthorn players and their partners can be revealed in full for the first time. Read their harrowing story, in their own words.

Hawthorn racism scandal: Read the harrowing allegations of former players and their partners in full​

Disturbing allegations of abuse from former Hawthorn players and their partners can be revealed in full for the first time. Read their harrowing story, in their own words.

Where’s this come from?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back