Autopsy Hawthorn v Geelong - Preseason hit and giggle, Feb 17, Tassie

Remove this Banner Ad

Poppy and Cyril hunted as a pack which was great watching. Scary for opposition defenders.
This was my big take away from last night. They were almost always working together and in that 2nd term just locked so much ball in our forward 50.

People are reading and analysing far too much into a single practice match.

But I liked 3 things:

1. The final goal was all on the youngsters: Miles kept chasing what looked like a lost cause, Pittonet and Lovell got involved, and Heatherley passed long to Kade Stewart.

2. And practice match or not, it was a good moment for Kade, the kid was cool as f*ck,

3. And Geelong, they really wanted to win - you need another pact, boys!

;)

This was my big take away from last night. They were almost always working together and in that 2nd term just locked so much ball in our forward 50.
Throw Breust and Stewart in there too and it will be even better.

Just thinking that Dwayne doesn't need a pre season getting to his inane self

Apart from harping on the Shiel incident. He kept drawing attention to when someone ducked any time at all

Memo derwayne. Most people don't mind ducking when the player is looking to or actually disposes. Even Selwood

Last edited:
Can shuffle roles around - gibson takes doc's role and TOB takes gibsons role

Trust Obrien to fill Gibbos role and Gibbo to go to the smalls? Gibbo is pedestrian slow as he enters his ladder years. As much as Doc can have a brain fart we do need the run out of defence, and TOB is miles off being able to adequately perform a key post for us at either end.

I'd prefer to put games into KB and keep chip as the mainstay and have Gibbo and Hodgey roam a bit with Sic/Doc/Howe/Burton all filtering through with run. Interested to see what Birch does this season to, is he playing mid or staying back? He was slow of mind and body last year under pressure, maybe releasing him through the midfield will add some diversity ?

I reckon you can tell by the way Burton moves and reads the play, he is special, similar to O'Meara.
Bee-Gees-Stayin-Alive.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trust Obrien to fill Gibbos role and Gibbo to go to the smalls? Gibbo is pedestrian slow as he enters his ladder years. As much as Doc can have a brain fart we do need the run out of defence, and TOB is miles off being able to adequately perform a key post for us at either end.

I'd prefer to put games into KB and keep chip as the mainstay and have Gibbo and Hodgey roam a bit with Sic/Doc/Howe/Burton all filtering through with run. Interested to see what Birch does this season to, is he playing mid or staying back? He was slow of mind and body last year under pressure, maybe releasing him through the midfield will add some diversity ?
As I expected, as soon as a person was nominated, you choose to argue the point. BG clearly said 'IF HE STEPS UP'. You don't seem to get that bit and argue based on what TOB is showing now. :rolleyes:

we need more complaining about the umpires to match the cats board! wow what a pack of one eye morons

I counted 4 frees in the one half jaeger played they comitted against him- might have just been me but looked like there was real intent to go hard against him (not complaining just interesting that they would take that route against someone who hasnt played 2 years and all)

Last edited:
As I expected, as soon as a person was nominated, you choose to argue the point. BG clearly said 'IF HE STEPS UP'. You don't seem to get that bit and argue based on what TOB is showing now. :rolleyes:

This, thank you arupist.
Also, any lack of pace starts to be made up by the fact sicily looks to be having more minutes down there so maybe hodge will play less there

Birchall is not a midfield player off last nights performance & last seasons preseason games.
He looks his best attacking off half back & backing himself in to win a contest through the middle when needed.
If he repeats the latter part of 2016 at any stage for a couple of weeks I think we have the players capable of covering him for a "rest" or a couple of games at Box hill.

KB has to be the guy to partner Chip.
There are concessions for others to develop into their roles/positions so I think large chunk/s of 2017 have to be planned for his development.
At least an 8 week block will give him some continuity & confidence to start the season. If he's not found wanting before the bye there would be little reason to dabble with Heatherly for any significant period unless there was an injury to Gibson, Stratton or Chip

TOB is certainly not a KPD. He does however have the tools to be the 3 tall that Sicily is currently getting schooled in.
Perhaps this is where the Sicily/O'Brien talk needs to take a slight shift in that Sicily, defensively needs work but could easily be a Easen wood?? Type off half back & TOB seen more as the forward that has the potential to be the swing man & is seen as the genuine Tall KPP depth..???
Spitballing until I see TOB in the JLT

Yeah, sorry I deal with what's been presented so far. I disagree, big deal.

Birchall is not a midfield player off last nights performance & last seasons preseason games.
He looks his best attacking off half back & backing himself in to win a contest through the middle when needed.
If he repeats the latter part of 2016 at any stage for a couple of weeks I think we have the players capable of covering him for a "rest" or a couple of games at Box hill.

KB has to be the guy to partner Chip.
There are concessions for others to develop into their roles/positions so I think large chunk/s of 2017 have to be planned for his development.
At least an 8 week block will give him some continuity & confidence to start the season. If he's not found wanting before the bye there would be little reason to dabble with Heatherly for any significant period unless there was an injury to Gibson, Stratton or Chip

TOB is certainly not a KPD. He does however have the tools to be the 3 tall that Sicily is currently getting schooled in.
Perhaps this is where the Sicily/O'Brien talk needs to take a slight shift in that Sicily, defensively needs work but could easily be a Easen wood?? Type off half back & TOB seen more as the forward that has the potential to be the swing man & is seen as the genuine Tall KPP depth..???
Spitballing until I see TOB in the JLT

Sicily every day of the week for mine and with TV showing promise, Gunno and Ruff as roaming forwards who can go through the midfield and up the ground I don't see where TOB fits.

Heatherley and TOB are ok depth players.

Watching it again Duryea was even worse the second time. Would have Miles or Sicily back there in the 22 at the moment. Hopefully he can find some form over the next couple games.

It's only preseason so hard to get too excited or negative but a couple of observations:

The good
-JOM looked lively but also a little rusty. Can wait to see him and Mitch work together
-TV had a good crack (his rucking was better than I expected) rough looks in great shape and showy appears over his injuries - our forward line is shaping up well for 2017
-our mosquito fleet of Stewart, miles, Hardwick, Lovell all showed a bit - not sure will see a lot in 2017 but something to work with
-Langford looked much improved - I think playing with JOM and Mitch will really help him as he won't have to focus on being just a battering ram.
-Rioli and Puopolo look set for a good season. Cyril especially.

The 'it's only preseason but....'
-Gibson looked slow - its hard to read senior players in these games but his lack of mobility (combined with some fumbles) wasn't a great look
-Pitt really got found out - he may look okay at training against BB, but against a 205+ ruck who can jump he got really found out. Was a good learning experience for him - However doesn't seem to have enough athleticism or size to compete which is hard to fix.
-doc - was expecting a more, if was very vanilla. With WX in the 22 plus the mosquito fleet chasing a spot he may have a tough year ahead
-shiels disposal is still pretty average - a concern if they plan to free him up this year
-birch is not a midfielder

Other thoughts
-kurt h looked noticeably bigger - have they decided they want him to be a kpp now rather than a 3rd tall? Anyone have any insights?
-Sicily down back didn't really work but wasn't bad either - interesting to see if they persist. Burton looked less comfortable up forward (but may just need time, like Sicily down back)

Really looking forward to the next two games - lots of open questions on what our best side will be and who will break into the 22.

Nah this happens every preseason - a couple of players are instructed to take on the game with run as much as possible and gain practice breaking tackles. Think we did it with billy and a couple of the young guys last year - it's a great way to learn your limits.

Was not aware of that - thanks for the intel.

It was a really good hit out for a pre season game IMO, one big concern I have is Gibson looked the same cooked player he was in the back half of 2016.

Can't see where he plays for us during the H&A

Amongst all the positives last night from from the contributions of the kids, I'm struggling to see Heatherley as anything but a Litherland type depth player. Crappy height for a key defender, being 193cm he needs to have a Marcus Adams build to really compete, he doesn't seem agile or quick enough to play on mid sizers either. Much prefer KB to hold the role Heatherley played last night, more important long term I think.
Chip is 193cm as well, difference is he is big and strong with a mature body which enables him to hold his own against the monsters. Heatherley wont ever get to that point, he has the same build as dustin fletcher. We should look to him to play a similar role, coming across creating mismatches in the air for the opponents and playing on a 3rd tall type.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back