How Would Gary Ablett Jnr Be Reagrded if he wasnt the Son of Gary Snr

Remove this Banner Ad

In terms of performance, it's plausible to think that he could be a better player than what he already is which is a pretty scary thought. I spose we'll never know having the weight of expectation of being Ablett's, if that affects him in any way shape or form.

I think commentators are good with it though. They don't tend to compare the two week in week out or sensationalise his relation. It could be a whooooole lot worse

He would be. In the first few years of his career Gablett probably had too much attention because of his name, but the last couple of years and especially this year he has come into his own and shows what an amazing player he is. And while he does show flashes of his father from time to time, he plays in quite a different style and position, which only further adds to him establishing his own name for himself.

Gablett is an absolute legend and will only to continue to improve over the next couple of seasons.

He's a consitent gun. hyped up a bit more because of his name. I'm from Geelong and know how the town works, he's no better then Chapman, yet the ablettiser has him as the poster boy. Still a gun footballer.

Gibbs was just about the youngest player in his draft class, is clearly under-developed yet has held down a senior spot all year and shown flashes of ability. Considering most of his draft class haven't played a game yet, thats not a bad effort. If you are judging young guys on what they achieve in their first season of footy, then surely Scott Gumbleton is the biggest failure in the history of the draft, cos he hasn't even played a game yet! But that would be stupid thinking. But if its stupid to write off the ability of someone who hasn't played, surely its equally stupid to write off the ability of someone who has, and who hasn't let himself down by any means.

As for Ablett, I reckon most people are over his heritage now. He's a fantastic player in his own right, and happens to be exciting to watch and photogenic as well. Unfortunately, some of his team-mates (Chapman and Ling is particular) who are also awesome players aren't exactly photo material, and are less flashy (although arguably as effective). Hence, Ablett gets the magazine covers and newspaper columns, but as long as the Cats keep winning I don't think the others will argue...

I honestly think he'd be rated higher if he wasn't Ablett Senior's son. I don't think he gets enough plaudits as it is.

I honestly think he'd be rated higher if he wasn't Ablett Senior's son. I don't think he gets enough plaudits as it is.

I agree.

His performance over the years has been subject to more scrutiny than another comparable, non Son-of-God player would have been.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was such a big deal in his first year about him being the son of..

He's his own man these days and there doesn't seem to be as much focus on who he is related to.

I think it would be different if he was a full-forward.

If Nathan Ablett came first and went to the goal square for his first game, the pressure and expectation would have been unbearable, and thats probably why he avoided the AFL for a few years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back