Opinion Hurn... is he the right guy for captain?

Is Hurn the right guy for captain?

• Yes, he is the best because he is a good guy and he has receding hair.

• No, let him back off the leash to be a beast like Brock Lesnar.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Completely disagree with the first part. Captains do matter. Captain need to know on field when to change things. They need to make the change before the coach goes out with the runner. Captains need to know the right time to get involved and lift the team. He has done nothing inspiring since being skipper. Good captains, have strong and powerful body language when the team is down. Hurn just walks off like a young player with his head down.

Agree on the second part. I feel as though we have ruined the development of many players by developing them as strictly one type players. It's evident on this board when people say "he is the LeCras replacement," or "he is the Priddis replacement" these players are so one dimensional and it's costing us as we lack midfield rotations. Hurn probably was always a backman, however he should have been developed to spend a quarter a game in the middle, throwing his thighs around and bullocking players.
He was tried on occasions and spent a short period mixing with midfield training a number of years ago. Unfortunately he wasn't any good.

Not a captains a-hole on the field but i don't fault him personally. The club & players have voted him in twice, i doubt he even cares if he's captain or not. Would probably rather not have any of the spotlight.

Shuey's the guy and has been since 2014/2015

Did anyone watch him in the huddle when simmo was talking to them? He was looking at his feet and looked disinterested and had bad body language and didn't add anything at all.

Selwood, walker even pendlebury inspire theor teams. Hurn does not. Should be given to jk until sheed or someone is ready

It's absurd to call someone who was captain of a team which made it into a grand final terrible, but i honestly believe he's the worst captain in the clubs history.

Definitely the worst in the AFL, and that includes Rockliff before he got demoted.

Agreed but this is a squad of pea hearts. Who stands up in big games? No replacement. I think we need to rebuild and now

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's the worst captain in the competition, provides little on field leadership and I think his performances since he's gotten the captaincy have gotten steadily worse. The fact that Josh Kennedy isn't out captain is a disgrace; he has a massive on field presence, provides good leadership on and off field and he has massive respect in the east too.

Hurn seems like the person with to much on his mind to be a captain. Shuey is the player that should be the one lead for the next 4-5 years.

i think that would be a mistake. shuey just needs to worry about his own consistency and becoming a legitimate star in the comp. he's not there yet. brilliant at his best but still goes missing too much.

i think that would be a mistake. shuey just needs to worry about his own consistency and becoming a legitimate star in the comp. he's not there yet. brilliant at his best but still goes missing too much.
Shuey who has been injured, has had 2 games with less influence, only one game I'd consider poor (against Essendon) and who showed more fight and class coming back from injury than half the team did who weren't touch and go for the match?

I think ultimately the players need to be inspired. On paper Hurn ticks a few boxes. Stand up guy, Says the club lines, works at a decent level etc but he doesn't inspire. That's why I'd rather take a wild card player who you know will lift the team. Screw the good guy stuff. If you inspire the team and they lift bye that 1-2% it can make all the difference. Poor culture permeates from the top down. Administration/Board/Coaches/Leadership Group.

I think ultimately the players need to be inspired. On paper Hurn ticks a few boxes. Stand up guy, Says the club lines, works at a decent level etc but he doesn't inspire. That's why I'd rather take a wild card player who you know will lift the team. Screw the good guy stuff. If you inspire the team and they lift bye that 1-2% it can make all the difference. Poor culture permeates from the top down. Administration/Board/Coaches/Leadership Group.
s**t rolls down hill...

Man i wish that scooter's ankle never got injured. He would probably ended up being our skipper. Up there with Beau waters for loving the club and wearing his heart on his sleeve and real barometer player. Geelong are already feeling the affects of him getting back to his best. Sure his skills weren't too sharpe but is a player that could shut out the oppositions best mid while laying more than half a dozen tackles and helping us in the clinches.

A tagger as a captain though? You usually give average mids tagging jobs because they aren't skilled enough to be damaging alone. It would be like giving Hutchings the captaincy

Back