Opinion Hypothetical 2021 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably a fair assessment, particularly the bottom 4. I am not as confident about Worpel. I feel he has a ceiling that is close.
Even if he doesn't improve he still shown more than enough to suggest he's an A grade player. To suggest he might not be best 22 is one of the most insanely poor judgments Ive read.

Even if he doesn't improve he still shown more than enough to suggest he's an A grade player. To suggest he might not be best 22 is one of the most insanely poor judgments Ive read.
Never said he wasn't best 22. Some people just read what they want and draw the most ridiculous conclusions.

Scully will play. We know Clarko will give him ample games to turn it around. Loves him.

100% - people assuming he won't play after this year are kidding themselves. He's built for big ovals like the MCG and Launceston, and he'll be able to take advantage of full quarters again. Keen to see his output.

I'm not sure our best 22 is the 22 that needs to play. We need to unearth some gems and blood youth, whilst keeping some balance of experience to help out. This is the 22 i'd like to see from Rd 1, noting Sicily isn't playing

FB: Hardwick - Hartigan - DGB
HB: Impey - Frost - Day
C: Phillips - JOM - Maginness
HF: Gunston - Lewis - Wingard
FF: Breust - Patton - Morris
R: Ceglar - T.Mitchell - Worpel
INT: McEvoy - Shiels - Scrimshaw - Downie

Emergencies: Jeka - Scully - Burgoyne - Greaves

- Burgoyne plays enough games to get to 400, but that's it.
- I really want to get Jeka in, but not at the expense of Lewis. It will be up to Jeka to push past Patton.

That forward line is as slow as treacle. There's absolutely no way that both Patton and Lewis play together, there'd be zero pressure on opposition rebounds. O'Brien has been a best 22 mainstay for a reason, even if most on this board don't understand it.

100% - people assuming he won't play after this year are kidding themselves. He's built for big ovals like the MCG and Launceston, and he'll be able to take advantage of full quarters again. Keen to see his output.
The substitutions have also been reduced if I'm not mistaken. Should be in Scully's wheelhouse, yeah?

The substitutions have also been reduced if I'm not mistaken. Should be in Scully's wheelhouse, yeah?

There'll be a premium on blokes like him, Mitchell is an endurance freak as well mainly inside the contest - spends more TOG% than any other inside mid in the comp.

They're the type of blokes that allow you to rest and rotate impact players more.

I think Clarko will go with a settled line-up down back, I would like to see Mcevoy ruck.
Three debutantes is pushing the envelope, i do see room for Dgb and Mitchell. Hopefully Downie can push his claims and team up with Phillips.

FB:Hardwick, Frost, Impey
HB:Scrimshaw, Mcevoy, Day
M:Scully, Wingard, Jom
HF: Breust, Tob, Phillips
FF:Gunston, Lewis, S.Mitch
R: Ceglar, Mitchell, Worpel
Bench:Shiels,Dgb,Finn,Silk/Downie.
Emerg:Greaves,Hanrahan,Patton,Hartigan.

Given that we could potentially roll out next year with a defensive 50 containing Sicily, Greaves, DGB and Frost, would we have the palest defensive unit in the history of AFL football?

Pretty important question that needs investigation and answering. Sunscreen costs could sink our profits.

That forward line is as slow as treacle. There's absolutely no way that both Patton and Lewis play together, there'd be zero pressure on opposition rebounds. O'Brien has been a best 22 mainstay for a reason, even if most on this board don't understand it.
So, TOB plays because otherwise our forward line is too slow? I don't see it.

I think if fit, Patton and Lewis would have played a lot more together in 2020

So, TOB plays because otherwise our forward line is too slow? I don't see it.

I think if fit, Patton and Lewis would have played a lot more together in 2020
Its all about output. TOB has better output overall than both Patton and Lewis. He will start they will have to push him out.
TOB is frustrating but he is the best we have currently

Its all about output. TOB has better output overall than both Patton and Lewis. He will start they will have to push him out.
TOB is frustrating but he is the best we have currently
Agreed with O'Brien. His output to date is better.

I don't think we will play both Patton and Lewis in the same side as they will likely be competing for the same spot. Jeka perhaps competing for O'Brien's spot. That's my gut feel anyway.

Our forward line is going to look terrible. I hold out absolutely no hope in TOB, but Gunston's injury gives him a clean run at a spot in the side all year. Let's hope he can finally crack a goal a game.

What we really need is Jeka and Lewis to take a big step in their development and for Patton to be in the best shape he's ever been in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our forward line is going to look terrible. I hold out absolutely no hope in TOB, but Gunston's injury gives him a clean run at a spot in the side all year. Let's hope he can finally crack a goal a game.

What we really need is Jeka and Lewis to take a big step in their development and for Patton to be in the best shape he's ever been in.
I won’t be holding my breath on O’Brien lol, Hopefully jeka can push him out the team.

We went with the most experienced possible side in round 1 2020, wonder if the same will happen again

Stratton Puopolo Henderson Frawley Smith all gone now. Gunston Sicily will be in recovery and Burgoyne on reduced matches

We went with the most experienced possible side in round 1 2020, wonder if the same will happen again

Stratton Puopolo Henderson Frawley Smith all gone now. Gunston Sicily will be in recovery and Burgoyne on reduced matches

This is the most experienced side we could play in round 1

FB Frost - Hartigan - Hardwick
HB Impey - Hartley - Scrimshaw
C Shiels - Mitchell - Scully
HF Breust - O'Brien - Wingard
FF Burgoyne - Patton - Ceglar
R McEvoy - O'Meara - Worpel
IC Phillips - Howe - Morrison - Cousins

Day is the only certainty to come in to that team.

This is the most experienced side we could play in round 1

FB Frost - Hartigan - Hardwick
HB Impey - Hartley - Scrimshaw
C Shiels - Mitchell - Scully
HF Breust - O'Brien - Wingard
FF Burgoyne - Patton - Ceglar
R McEvoy - O'Meara - Worpel
IC Phillips - Howe - Morrison - Cousins

Day is the only certainty to come in to that team.

Past shows us the debutants come r3 at the earliest. Your team Has ins of Hartley Hartigan Impey Phillips Howe Cousins Frost from r1-2020

Along with Sicily, Gunston is easily our most important player. Without these two I expect us to end up with a top 4 pick, which isn't really the worst.

But with that said, the issue with Gunston out is the flow on effect to the players you have mentioned, all with massive questions marks, or an unknown late pick in Jeka. Week in week out Patton/Lewis and O'Brien/Jeka are going to get the two best defenders.

It's the PR machine at work. Clarko has to say bounce back.

Clubs need to be good at selling hope and the future when they rebuild.

Noted the Vandenburg was talking about a rebuild but never mentioned the word. Was really careful about it, but we got "realign" and "reset".

And Kornes is on the money with what he's saying.

I think Clarko will go with a settled line-up down back, I would like to see Mcevoy ruck.
Three debutantes is pushing the envelope, i do see room for Dgb and Mitchell. Hopefully Downie can push his claims and team up with Phillips.

FB:Hardwick, Frost, Impey
HB:Scrimshaw, Mcevoy, Day
M:Scully, Wingard, Jom
HF: Breust, Tob, Phillips
FF:Gunston, Lewis, S.Mitch
R: Ceglar, Mitchell, Worpel
Bench:Shiels,Dgb,Finn,Silk/Downie.
Emerg:Greaves,Hanrahan,Patton,Hartigan.
Geez i hope BB playing back is a rarity, kept for picking up resting oppo ruckman at times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back