I can't remember the last time I thought we were a legitimately good side

Remove this Banner Ad

The mods should give week long bans for preseason melts

**** man you need a hug.

Badly.

Not the result. The journey. For a team that won more games across 2001-2007 than any other, the reputation and question marks around the team because of its September record was ludicrous.

Compare to similarly dominant teams in Brisbane (01-04), Geelong (07-13) and Hawthorn (08-Pres) and there was always a justified doubt there that didn't exist for others.

Any time before Voss arrived the sooner that muppett leaves the better his arrival has cost our midfield and players are not the same he has a
long history of creating issues within footy playing group. Billy Longer, Sam Docherty, Jared Polec, James Polkinghorne and Patrick Karnezis all expressing a desire to be traded. There had been strong murmurs that senior players such as Tom Rockliff had also become frustrated with Voss.

Like in 2011 Voss had no grounding because he said at the time " I know everything about coaching, no need to do and apprenticeship " his record says "he has no idea."

Attachments

• voss.jpg
    voss.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 2
We were better than Hawthorn in 2014 yet some clowns claim the 2014 flag to be the greatest ever.

Yeah don't listen to those clowns, they know nothing about football and player management and how easy it easy to win flags...
I mean fk' after all:

They lost Buddy Franklin their full forward and the best forward in the game
Liam Shiels did his knee
Lake missed 5 weeks with a calf injury
Sam Mitchell did his hamstring missed 8
Rioli did his hamstring missed about 7
Gibson tore his pec and missed 12 weeks
The coach was admitted to hospital and missed 6 weeks
Lake missed another 4 weeks for suspension
McEvoy their ruckman missed a month with his ankle
Rioli tore his other hamstring and missed another 6 weeks
Hodge missed games with suspension, maybe injuries too.
Lewis missed with suspension.
Brad Sewell did his AC joint
That's all I can remember right now.
s**t effort really to win the flag. If you look back through the archives all premiership teams suffer these sort of adversities, its very common.
Anyone could of done it.

Back on topic. Try being a Carlton supporter, we haven't won a flag for 20 years and it could be another 5/20.
Port are a great club and too proud. I know you guys will come good and probably sooner than us.

Good luck in 2017 ;)

Yeah don't listen to those clowns, they know nothing about football and player management and how easy it easy to win flags...
I mean fk' after all:

Liam Shiels did his knee
s**t effort really to win the flag. If you look back through the archives all premiership teams suffer these sort of adversities, its very common.
Anyone could of done it.

Back on topic. Try being a Carlton supporter, we haven't won a flag for 20 years and it could be another 5/20.
Port are a great club and too proud. I know you guys will come good and probably sooner than us.

Good luck in 2017 ;)

They were at basically at full strength come finals time (Unlike Port in 2004 missing captain Primus and twice Brownlow runner-up Francou for the season facing the 3 time reigning premiers).

What was great about their 2014 was that they gave themselves a chance to win the flag. The flag itself is tainted in my eyes, but I would say that being a bitter Port supporter.

They weren't the best team in the preliminary final (7 less scoring shots attests to that, not to mention the dodgy umpiring at the death). They were very fortunate to play in that 2014 grand final.

I mean fk' after all:

Liam Shiels did his knee
Anyone could of done it.

Good luck in 2017 ;)

You're spot on - when people talk about injuries being why we missed in 2015 thats what i talk about.

The hawks are a great team and they did an amazing job to win that premiership, great teams over come injures.

However, that was a massive missed opportunity on our part - we should have won that prelim and gone on to win that flag, if we did how history would have changed, the hawks wouldn't have their 3peat and wouldn't be talked about as potentially the best side of all time.

Any time before Voss arrived the sooner that muppett leaves the better his arrival has cost our midfield and players are not the same he has a
long history of creating issues within footy playing group. Billy Longer, Sam Docherty, Jared Polec, James Polkinghorne and Patrick Karnezis all expressing a desire to be traded. There had been strong murmurs that senior players such as Tom Rockliff had also become frustrated with Voss.

Like in 2011 Voss had no grounding because he said at the time " I know everything about coaching, no need to do and apprenticeship " his record says "he has no idea."

Then a player walkout happened later anyway.

Voss wasn't the problem.

I don't know what time it was at Alberton the next day but pretty sure it wasn't quite as early as 12. I'd driven back from Melbourne o/night with my boys (the female Powerstufffs stayed on in Melbourne). I put my head down for a few hours and then we went to the club in the early afternoon. And there was a fairly decent crowd. I can't see why they'd have presented 4 players earlier but who knows.

The Alberton thing has to be the next day, there has to be a chance for those of us who are at these games to get back. We couldn't get into the presentation there, Punt Rd was a lockout.
Sorry you didn't get in to Punt Rd in '04. It was unbelievable. On the opposite end of the spectrum we were in the Glasshouse after '07. Seeing those players on stage was heartbreaking :'(

lol its pre-season :rolleyes:

To be fair, "its only the pre season" has been the response the last couple of years as well, before s**t hit the fan the season proper.

Sorry you didn't get in to Punt Rd in '04. It was unbelievable ....
Don't feel too sorry. We just kept bumping into people we knew as we were making our way from the ground and talking, hugging etc. So we didn't even head over to Punt Road for 30 min afterwards. We had no idea entry would be capped. But there was plenty of celebrating outside, then and later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, Hawthorn deserve a lot of sympathy for having Franklin being injured, given that he & Roughead were only recruited in same draft due to a priority pick concession, that is no longer available today & was a concession that was never available to clubs that were in a lot worse position at various times.

Lets not even mention the fact that they were/are guaranteed to have the GF in their home state regardless of who finishes where during any given finals series!

I liked 2014 because no matter how far behind we were we were always in it. 2007 was the best season I have seen before 2014.

Ridiculous I know but 2004 is just as much of a relief as it was a success.

I guess my point is, even at our best I was never comfortable as I would imagine Hawks or Cats fans would of been through their eras.

I always had a nagging feeling that we weren't quite good enough or ready in 2014. It was negated by the fact it felt like it was destiny after what the boys had been through and we beat Freo in Freo. However it always stayed there.

After we lost to the Hawks in 2014, I wasn't hugely devastated. I believed we could back it up and destroy an ageing Hawthorn in 2015. In hindsight, I should have been nothing short of livid that we lost.

Alas, I haven't even watched Football long enough to ever remember us being any good, as in genuine sustained success good. I missed 2004, only started properly watching football in 2006 after dabbling in 2005. So I can really only remember Port being average to s**t. 2014 was like a candy shop for me, personally.

Looking at it now, it's really depressing that since 2005 I've only felt good about the club in one season in more than a decade.

2007 was an odd one. I felt we had no right to be where we were, and when we got belted I was genuinely not surprised. Two parts my natural tendency to be on the negative side, two parts reality.

So to be succinct - 2014 sort of, but other than that, not in the last 12 years.

Anyone remember the first disaster game in 08? Can't remember if it was Carlton or Brisbane but it was a strange feeling. Utter disbelief.

Now it has become the expectation.

Sent from mTalk

The one for me was that Brisbane loss in the monsoon at AAMI after we had them dead for all money.

Anyone remember the first disaster game in 08? Can't remember if it was Carlton or Brisbane but it was a strange feeling. Utter disbelief.

Now it has become the expectation.

Sent from mTalk

IMG_2953.jpg

Was huddled under one of the heaters outside the bar watching a punch-on inside as it all unfolded. Utterly dystopian.

A 67-point turnaround from the 24-minute mark of Q3 to the final siren.

At home. In a monsoon.

You wouldn't believe it if you weren't there.

View attachment 341275

Was huddled under one of the heaters outside the bar watching a punch-on inside as it all unfolded. Utterly dystopian.

At home. In a monsoon.

The club has never been the same since this and 07.

I was a massive, massive supporter from 97-04 and copped plenty for it from my Crows supporting schoolmates.

05 was so unbelievably disappointing and I was so annoyed at the club for losing the semi in that fashion (I took it kind of personally) that I didn't watch any games throughout 06 or 07 until we made the GF. That game gave me PTSD and my interest didn't prick up again til late 2011.

When you guys talk about some players from 2006-2010, I literally have no idea who you're talking about.

Kudos to those of you that stuck around in those dark, dark days.

I can remember the early 2000s but was pretty young for the most part, only 8yo when we won the flag so I didn't fully take it in and appreciate it.

2007 was an enjoyable year up until the very last game.

My fondest memories of being a Port supporter come from 2014.

View attachment 341275

At home. In a monsoon.

it never happened!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back