HyperAgressiveDonk

Cancelled
Aug 6, 2008
Red Moon
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
City Middle & Angela Surf City
Having a discussion with a friend about Brent Harvey and his status in the game. I believe he is a modern day great of the game and deserves to be ranked alongside other modern day greats such as Shane Crawford, Robert Harvey, Andrew McLeod etc, but my friend thinks he is a tier or two below these players. Thoughts?

• Banned
I would think he is on par with Crawford in greatness, but neither of those two are on the same tier as Mcleod and R Harvey imo

Really? Why?

Here are Crawfords achievements fwiw

4 x All Australian
MVP winner
AFLPA MVP
Brownlow medalist
4 x Best & Fairest

He was pretty much the best player in the competition in 1999, and had several outstanding years in some very s**t teams. Each to their own I suppose though.

North Melbourne great, not even close to an AFL great.

IMO of the "modern era" (when does that end, anyway?), you have rankings as such:

Buckley, Hird, Voss

Crawford, Cousins, Harvey

West, McLeod, Harvey

3rd tier seems about right. Would bump McLeod up to 2nd tier, but that's a discusion for another time.

IMO of the "modern era" (when does that end, anyway?), you have rankings as such:

Buckley, Hird, Voss

Crawford, Cousins, R Harvey

West, McLeod, B Harvey

Bell, Goodwin

boomer is everybit as good as West, Mcleod, Goodwin , and please tell me that ain't Peter Bell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robert Harvey made 8 AA sides & won 2 Brownlows. Sorry, but he is every bit as good as the first 3.

Only 1 person has received more Brownlow votes in the history of the game.

Buckley, Hird, Voss

Crawford, Cousins, R Harvey

West, McLeod, B Harvey

Bell, Goodwin

Modern era is starting your career after 1990 imo. Anyway here are my top midfielders from the modern era.

1. Ablett
2. Voss
3. Judd
4. Cousins
5. Hird
6. Buckley
7. R. Harvey
8. Goodes
9. Crawford
10. McLeod
11. B.Harvey
12. West
13. Akermanis
14. Kelly
15. Goodwin

I know I have probably left out one or two.

Modern era is starting your career after 1990 imo. Anyway here are my top midfielders from the modern era.

1. Ablett
2. Voss
3. Judd
4. Cousins
5. Hird
6. Buckley
7. R. Harvey
8. Goodes
9. Crawford
10. McLeod
11. B.Harvey
12. West
13. Akermanis
14. Kelly
15. Goodwin

I know I have probably left out one or two.

Black is the glaring omisson.

Black would probably be around 10th to 13th with his old mate from Brisbane Akermanis imo. The first 6 or 7 are all all-time greats. Then Goodes, Crawford, McLeod, B.Harvey, Black, West & Akermanis are modern day greats. Then Kelly & Goodwin are 3rd tier imo.

Agreed, and Akermanis (despite being a douche) was a substantially better midfielder as well.

Other names springing to mind:

Kerr
Lappin
Power
Pendlebury
Swan
Watson
Bartel
Mitchell

(and apologies to the numerous I have likely forgot)

These would all appear to be much better midfielders.

Agreed, and Akermanis (despite being a douche) was a substantially better midfielder as well.

Other names springing to mind:

Kerr
Lappin
Power
Pendlebury
Swan
Watson
Bartel
Mitchell

(and apologies to the numerous I have likely forgot)

These would all appear to be much better midfielders.

All better than Harvey?

Kerr has been too inconsistent, Lappin was a brilliant player, but Harvey was better. Power is nowhere near it. Pendlebury and Swan will probably pass him by careers end ( Swan would be pretty close now ). Watson hasn't even got an AA gig or had a full "elite" season yet, Harvey has 4 AAs and several player of the year awards. Bartel is overrated on this site and Mitchell would be behind Harvey at the moment imo.

Out of the players still active you mentioned, Pendlebury & Swan will definitely pass Harvey, Mitchell might, and Watson would have to string together a few elite seasons to reach Harveys level. aall 4 player could well end up being better players than Harvey, but I think only Swan & Pendlebury are locks out of the aforementioned.

It's all subjective, but Harvey is massively underrated imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back