Is Nick Maxwell one of the most improved defenders in the AFL for season '09?

Remove this Banner Ad

PieLebo87

Hall of Famer
Veteran A Star Wars Fan 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur
Sep 14, 2005
I wouldn't have a doubt that there are a number of other defenders that have taken it to another level from promising youngster to potential team star, more-so as a middle-aged player whos just gone from 'hack' to useful.

I'm not after comments relating to him becoming an average/good/great player now, compared to when he was a 'hack', I'm just after some feedback regarding the scope of improvement in his game over the last 12-24 months.

Maxwell, recently turned 26, has strived on the added responsibility as the Collingwood FC captain, and really become a key defender for the Magpies. He has stepped up to really lead the Magpies, and is currently the captain of a top 4 side in the AFL. His value should not be under-rated this season.

Prior to season '09, he was averaging 11.7 possessions a game, over his 95 game career. This season, in his 16 matches, he has lifted his average to 17.6 possessions, thats almost 6 touches a game more. Its a strangely massive leap from a defender not quite reknown for high possession games, especially considering prior to '09, he'd only ever gotten over 20 possessions twice in his career. This year alone, he has gathered over 20 possessions 6 times, and had single figure matches just once. (9 - against Melbourne, hardly required)

The logical, brainless argument from trolls will be that he is a loose defender, so its easy to gather possessions, but he hardly plays as a loose defender, he has mastered the art of running off his own man to assist a fellow defender as a third man up, and although he does play the loose role at times, he has done so just as much over his career, so its hardly the catalyst for his increase in touches in 2009.

Another thing that needs to be taken into consideration is that he has been a massively great general in the backline, and has directed the back 6 almost perfectly, especially over the last 10 rounds. Taking away the Western Bulldogs game, and the Hawthorn game, those two weeks in a row, Collingwood has conceded an average of 63 points over the last 10 rounds, with a high of 85 against Freo, and a low of 40 against Carlton last week.

Credit where credit is due, I personally think Maxwell has been the most improved defenders in the AFL for season '09.

I actually thought he was underrated before this season and much maligned on BF. He is not a bad player.

Definitely up there. Gilbert and Dawson too. Has turned into a vital cog in our side, always leads by example too. Saturday night he went back with the flight almost recklessly several times, was inspiring.

Maxwell, Dawson and Gilbert have all improved a heap.

Surjan is performing very well, I didn't notice him much last year. Was he performing this well last year and I didn't notice, or is he a player who improved a heap as well?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dawson came from further back, but then you have to say he is in a hugely dominant team which has made him look slightly better.

but i agree with everything you wrote. maxwell really has gone from a bottom six player to an almost top 6 player in the last 18 months.

love how he has embraced captaincy and really run with it. hope he continues to get better too!

I wouldn't have a doubt that there are a number of other defenders that have taken it to another level from promising youngster to potential team star, more-so as a middle-aged player whos just gone from 'hack' to useful.

I'm not after comments relating to him becoming an average/good/great player now, compared to when he was a 'hack', I'm just after some feedback regarding the scope of improvement in his game over the last 12-24 months.

Maxwell, recently turned 26, has strived on the added responsibility as the Collingwood FC captain, and really become a key defender for the Magpies. He has stepped up to really lead the Magpies, and is currently the captain of a top 4 side in the AFL. His value should not be under-rated this season.

Prior to season '09, he was averaging 11.7 possessions a game, over his 95 game career. This season, in his 16 matches, he has lifted his average to 17.6 possessions, thats almost 6 touches a game more. Its a strangely massive leap from a defender not quite reknown for high possession games, especially considering prior to '09, he'd only ever gotten over 20 possessions twice in his career. This year alone, he has gathered over 20 possessions 6 times, and had single figure matches just once. (9 - against Melbourne, hardly required)

The logical, brainless argument from trolls will be that he is a loose defender, so its easy to gather possessions, but he hardly plays as a loose defender, he has mastered the art of running off his own man to assist a fellow defender as a third man up, and although he does play the loose role at times, he has done so just as much over his career, so its hardly the catalyst for his increase in touches in 2009.

Another thing that needs to be taken into consideration is that he has been a massively great general in the backline, and has directed the back 6 almost perfectly, especially over the last 10 rounds. Taking away the Western Bulldogs game, and the Hawthorn game, those two weeks in a row, Collingwood has conceded an average of 63 points over the last 10 rounds, with a high of 85 against Freo, and a low of 40 against Carlton last week.

Credit where credit is due, I personally think Maxwell has been the most improved defenders in the AFL for season '09.

He is an awful man- defender and will eventually be exposed for his inability as a one-on-one defender as sides will start playing through him. He has mastered the skill of running of his man (not hard to do when you assign yourself the least dangerous or one of the least dangerous forwards) but he also spends a plethora of time loose in defence, anyone who tries to deny this is ignorant. He is Collingwood's Harley, and I don't rate Harley at this stage of his career. At least had a few good years as a quality CHB before injuries cut him down in his prime and forced him to play the lesser role he does today, a role that is the exact same as Maxwell's. Average footballer.

His a weak snipper he gets easy possessions in the back half like Harley. You will never see him put his head over the hardball

Improved heaps didnt think he was much of a player i even thought he would be the first player to get when he is captain. But is a very good defender this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back