Toast Izak Rankine off to Adelaide. Pick 5 obtained as expected

Remove this Banner Ad

For what it's worth, I think Adelaide will offer pick 4 as a straight swap for Rankine. I don't think they will demand a pick back as well.
However, GC dont need another top pick so they way want to try and see if that pick can be used for a player trade.
I'm not sure who will be in the market, because any player who is deserving of pick 4 in a draft will be on big coin, and more than what Rakine was offered, so I'm not sure if GC have the cap space to bring in a DeGoey on 800k for instance, otherwise they would have just matched Adelaide.

I think it's also worth noting that if Izak is happy at the Sun's, and I have no idea if he is or isn't, then you wouldn't have to match Adelaide dollar for dollar.
If we are offering 800k, then you could probably keep him for 750 or maybe 725k even.
So for the sake of 100-150k a year is it worth losing Rankine? If the Suns cap space is so tight that they can't even pay him that much
extra then there are bigger issues down the track.

It sucks to lose good players, we know that all too well.
Sometime you win, sometimes you lose. And don't forget, you did poach Atkins off us by offering him a big long term contract...(jk)

I wonder if the rumours about Heppell's future swinging back in Essendon's favour means we'll be able to offer Rankine more to keep him? I'm not necessarily saying we should offer more, just that the option is there.

Just to add some more perspective to this situation, in 2017 we saw a 20-year-old top 5 pick Aaron Francis request a trade home to South Australia and he was linked to the Crows at the time. After weeks of coaxing from players and coaches, Francis decided he would stay with the Bombers are is still there to this day. So you can change a player's mind even if they do request a trade.

Well it’s been almost a week now so it’s fair to say the chances of him going to the crows for a big, huge, massive bag of money, I’m sorry “for the love of the Crows” is looking more and more likely.

Think it’s time to move on but insure the crows pay a hefty ( realistic) price in trade as they are in Dinero. they are paying a 20-25% premium then the we should asking for a reflection of that

Jason Horne-Francis being omitted this week could work in our favour… looks like he is looking to leave the roos could make Crows cool on Rankine

Maybe they convince Rankine To go to the PSD and they get both. Adelaide give North 2 first rd picks for JHF and they agree not to pick up Rankine in PSD.

The nuffies on the Crows board are probably all over it.

If the club was looking outside the box we should look at trying to convince JHF to come up.

He hasn't necessarily pulled a homesick card right now, more so he just doesn't seem to be enjoying North Melbourne.

Offer him 650 - 700 for 4 years and send Rankine to Adelaide, JHF to us and pick 4 to North

Maybe they convince Rankine To go to the PSD and they get both. Adelaide give North 2 first rd picks for JHF and they agree not to pick up Rankine in PSD.

The nuffies on the Crows board are probably all over it.
Won’t get past the kangaroos, they have plenty of cap space are in desperate need of talent and the AFL will see this as a great way to prop them up without giving them a priority pick

Won’t get past the kangaroos, they have plenty of cap space are in desperate need of talent and the AFL will see this as a great way to prop them up without giving them a priority pick
I don't think it works like that. If Rankine tells them that he will not go there North will not pick him up against his wishes.

If the club was looking outside the box we should look at trying to convince JHF to come up.

He hasn't necessarily pulled a homesick card right now, more so he just doesn't seem to be enjoying North Melbourne.

Offer him 650 - 700 for 4 years and send Rankine to Adelaide, JHF to us and pick 4 to North

Respect your opinion - but the last thing we need is a young guy with massive question marks over attitude and behaviour.

Dropped twice for training infractions - and should have been more.

Out on the piss all the time, terrible on-field attitude, refusing to play where instructed (this is why he is out this week) - + going back to Adelaide without club permission and getting hammered when it was supposed to be for Mothers Day. Amongst other alleged stuff.

Just seems a complete dick, and not someone we need up here as we grow player retention.

And lets be honest - he really hasn't played that well (I know it's a big statement in that it's his 1st year) - but I just don't get the vibe that his Football will outweigh his baggage anytime soon - or that he wants it to.

If - and it's a huge IF - we were keen - wait.

Another year of this from JHF and his value plummets to a future 2nd or something. I suspect Clarkson will make him or break him (if Clarko gets the gig).

Clarko is in Adelaide right now - be funny as as hell if he signed for Port!

I'd rather use some of that $$ you found to offer Rankine an extra $50,000 a year.

Again, no offence intended

2c

Ralph update
The Suns have invited family members from Adelaide to the club’s home game against Geelong and are still hopeful he might reject the Crows’ huge offer.

Gold Coast believes that offer is $850,000 a season — well ahead of their offer of around $650,000 — and believes matching the bid would set a new mark for their own young stars when it came to negotiating future deals.
The Suns will not match the Adelaide offer and would instead ask for multiple early draft picks and not players if Rankine officially requests a trade.

But Rankine has been warned by teammates and confidantes moving to Adelaide on such a massive salary would set him up for extraordinary expectations in his early years. He is being counselled by senior teammates including Sean Lemmens on a list that has nine Indigenous players as well as an Indigenous player welfare manager Jarrod Harbrow, a former club stalwart.
But he is keen to be in proximity to some of his close family and believes he cannot knock back a contract that would make him the highest-paid player on the Crows list.

Last edited:
Respect your opinion - but the last thing we need is a young guy with massive question marks over attitude and behaviour.

Dropped twice for training infractions - and should have been more.

Out on the piss all the time, terrible on-field attitude, refusing to play where instructed (this is why he is out this week) - + going back to Adelaide without club permission and getting hammered when it was supposed to be for Mothers Day. Amongst other alleged stuff.

Just seems a complete dick, and not someone we need up here as we grow player retention.

And lets be honest - he really hasn't played that well (I know it's a big statement in that it's his 1st year) - but I just don't get the vibe that his Football will outweigh his baggage anytime soon - or that he wants it to.

If - and it's a huge IF - we were keen - wait.

Another year of this from JHF and his value plummets to a future 2nd or something. I suspect Clarkson will make him or break him (if Clarko gets the gig).

Clarko is in Adelaide right now - be funny as as hell if he signed for Port!

I'd rather use some of that $$ you found to offer Rankine an extra $50,000 a year.

Again, no offence intended

2c
Another year where he has some stability from a good coach and settles down a bit and his value increases drastically as well though and the money demand increases as well.

His on field language suggests to me he's frustrated with the way they're playing, which I don't have an issue with.

I back the leadership the club has currently to get the best out of him and he seems like he might benefit from being out of the spotlight to play his best football.

If you think our own players aren't getting out on the piss on weekends then you clearly haven't been out many weekends recently. Even in Melbourne, I don't think I've ever been on a night out without seeing at least a couple of players getting on the beers or the bags. He's getting a huge whack from the media which I think is unfair and is due to his position as a former number 1 pick at a currently, very bad club - if he's at any other club as a late first rounder none of this would be getting spoken of.

I would also rather the club uses that extra 50k to pay Rankine, but it's clear that isn't going to happen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another year where he has some stability from a good coach and settles down a bit and his value increases drastically as well though and the money demand increases as well.

His on field language suggests to me he's frustrated with the way they're playing, which I don't have an issue with.

I back the leadership the club has currently to get the best out of him and he seems like he might benefit from being out of the spotlight to play his best football.

If you think our own players aren't getting out on the piss on weekends then you clearly haven't been out many weekends recently. Even in Melbourne, I don't think I've ever been on a night out without seeing at least a couple of players getting on the beers or the bags. He's getting a huge whack from the media which I think is unfair and is due to his position as a former number 1 pick at a currently, very bad club - if he's at any other club as a late first rounder none of this would be getting spoken of.

I would also rather the club uses that extra 50k to pay Rankine, but it's clear that isn't going to happen

It's all about opinions, and I respect yours.

Sure, players are on the piss - but for a 1st year player, he seems to be caught on camera a hell of a lot. And trust me, I still get home at 6am some weekends, so I'm not some sanctimonious tee-totaller.

I simply think the risk outweighs the reward - and potentially unsettles some of the younger guys - and there are some big names ooc next year on our list

2c

I'm just wondering what parallel universe I've entered where an emerging 22yo forward is getting $850k for 4 years
A universe where the Crows have had a pretty terrible season with mediocre results. Adding to that, a terrible few weeks in the media that has re-surfaced a story that just won’t go away.

So you have an Indigenous star absolutely unloads on the club, and a bunch of other ex-players join in to unravel the cultural fabric of the Crows. It just compounds the Tex Walker fiasco from last year.

So to counter this, Crows want to get a local boy, also Indigenous, back home in a massive coup to try and restore some sense of positivity to a club that is under fire. And they will do everything possible to make it happen.

No Suns players has requested to return home to SA, despite all the players we have drafted from there. Only a ridiculous contract worth ridiculous dollars would make it happen.

Thus, 4 years at 850k… Reeks of desperation to me.

A universe where the Crows have had a pretty terrible season with mediocre results. Adding to that, a terrible few weeks in the media that has re-surfaced a story that just won’t go away.

So you have an Indigenous star absolutely unloads on the club, and a bunch of other ex-players join in to unravel the cultural fabric of the Crows. It just compounds the Tex Walker fiasco from last year.

So to counter this, Crows want to get a local boy, also Indigenous, back home in a massive coup to try and restore some sense of positivity to a club that is under fire. And they will do everything possible to make it happen.

No Suns players has requested to return home to SA, despite all the players we have drafted from there. Only a ridiculous contract worth ridiculous dollars would make it happen.

Thus, 4 years at 850k… Reeks of desperation to me.
Don't fall for Cornes so call "reporting" especially when he start with "This is pure speculative on my behalf", the guy is a grub of an anti-bias Crows AFL "expert" reporter, similar Rucci.

He won’t go via PSD. Too good a player and if he is coming to Adelaide a stupid risk on Crows behalf. I would expect our first rounder goes to you and there may be some later pick shuffles to match it up.
Or you entice a Ben Keays back and then draft capital would be lower. I doubt we try and screw you over

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Don't fall for Cornes so call "reporting" especially when he start with "This is pure speculative on my behalf", the guy is a grub of an anti-bias Crows AFL "expert" reporter, similar Rucci.
A friendly suggestion to leave these good people and head over to the main board Rankine thread.. you have already served time from the suns mods..burnt hand and all

Are you lost again? Wrong board bud.

If he does leave will be very interesting where the 650k set aside for him goes, bring in a mature player? Pad up some of the other emerging players wages?

I 100% understand the thinking behind not overpaying for Izak, which then suddenly drives the prices of all the younger players coming out of contract.

850k is a hell of a wedge, very hard to turn that down.

If it was me..

650k at a club I loved. Living in a place I love with people im close to at the brisk of success in the near future v a couple hundred k more to go back home (never imagined he was one to be home sick) to play for a now rebuilding club being the highest player in a two-club town with all that expection...
And at 22, he could easily get more $ in a couple years if he becomes a star.

Its a no brainer. Stay for success (while getting paid well) over $$

Remove this Banner Ad

Back