Traded Jacob Hopper [Trade with #53, #63 to Richmond for #31 and F1]

Remove this Banner Ad

It is interesting..honestly if i was either geelong or richmond id wait 12 months and if he picks another club now id be ok with that if i was them..but time will tell.

Im honestly not having a go here but will Geelong still be appealing in 12 months?

In the next couple of years Hawkins, Smith, Selwood, Duncan, Rohan, Danger, Blitz, 2e, Guthrie, Menagola, Ceglar, and Stanley will be gone or absolutely cooked. Cameron and Stewart also currenty 29.

They have been the best team in the comp this year and if they bring Hopper in they would be up there again next year. If I were Geelong I would be going hard this off season, it sounds like they are.

Gws cant fit dusty in the cap unless richmond pay like 3/4 of his wage and i cant see them doing that. I doubt he leaves richmond.
Dusty's head is not in it any more and his body starting to show wear and tear, wouldn't add anything to what GWS are wanting to do, even if Ricmond paid more than half his salary. GWS already have a cap problem

Im honestly not having a go here but will Geelong still be appealing in 12 months?

In the next couple of years Hawkins, Smith, Selwood, Duncan, Rohan, Danger, Blitz, 2e, Guthrie, Menagola, Ceglar, and Stanley will be gone or absolutely cooked. Cameron and Stewart also currenty 29.

They have been the best team in the comp this year and if they bring Hopper in they would be up there again next year. If I were Geelong I would be going hard this off season, it sounds like they are.
I mean yeah that's logical, but it's the same thing that has been said year on year for 10 years. I remember being told the same about Dangerfield because Stevie J and Bartel were retiring and we can't trust the next gen of Guthrie, Blitz, and Duncan etc

Geelong are extremely well coached, they may well be able to stay up there even after losing these players. Its why Im not against Richmond going all in for these players rather than going a full rebuild. If we did that, the coach would leave and then we could be stuck waiting for 30 years to find another good one. May as well have another shot while we have one. The worst that can happen is that we waste 5 years, like what happened with the hawks, but even then it was worth a shot with Clarko.

That wasn’t the point, Hardwick and Ralph have reported he wants to come back “home” to Victoria. Apart from boarding there at school and Giant games there he is a NSW boy.

If he wants to go there to be closer to some family and he wants the crowds, money etc fine but let’s not create a false narrative.
Was Mad Monday. Dimma would have been stoned off his ****.

Geelong are extremely well coached, they may well be able to stay up there even after losing these players. Its why Im not against Richmond going all in for these players rather than going a full rebuild. If we did that, the coach would leave and then we could be stuck waiting for 30 years to find another good one. May as well have another shot while we have one. The worst that can happen is that we waste 5 years, like what happened with the hawks, but even then it was worth a shot with Clarko.

A Richmond supporter admitting Chris Scott is an extremely good coach. Ive just run outside to check to see if the sky has fallen

A Richmond supporter admitting Chris Scott is an extremely good coach. Ive just run outside to check to see if the sky has fallen
He was referring to Shaun Grigg.

Sky did you fall over reading this?

Unfortunately you are probably going to miss out on him if you try wait another season.

I think getting both Hopper and Taranto means Dusty is almost certainly leaving Richmond now.
I'd be happy to miss out then. If we're already getting Taranto (likely), I don't think we should sell the rest of the current draft assets for Hopper as well, who is a similar enough player to Taranto that they are both trying to fill the same hole.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That wasn’t the point, Hardwick and Ralph have reported he wants to come back “home” to Victoria. Apart from boarding there at school and Giant games there he is a NSW boy.

If he wants to go there to be closer to some family and he wants the crowds, money etc fine but let’s not create a false narrative.
You misunderstood. What Dimma meant was Hopper wanted to come home, meaning the home of football ie Punt Road.

I'd be happy to miss out then. If we're already getting Taranto (likely), I don't think we should sell the rest of the current draft assets for Hopper as well, who is a similar enough player to Taranto that they are both trying to fill the same hole.

Yeah it's honestly hard to see how you can get both Taranto and Hopper without selling the farm, mortgaging the future with current and future picks.

Still good luck to The Tiges if you can snag both. It's funny cause a couple of weeks ago Sam McClure said on Footy Classifed the Tigers were in a strong position to get both Taranto and Hopper, didn't believe him.

Yeah it's honestly hard to see how you can get both Taranto and Hopper without selling the farm, mortgaging the future with current and future picks.

Still good luck to The Tiges if you can snag both. It's funny cause a couple of weeks ago Sam McClure said on Footy Classifed the Tigers were in a strong position to get both Taranto and Hopper, didn't believe him.
It would surprise me if we got both, and personally I don't think it's the wisest move.

Our current draft hand is 12, 19, 30 and then next year's first and second, call them 14 and 32 for example for argument's sake assuming we acquired both.

I think it'd take a lot of that capital to get both across, and I'm not sure you want to sell that much draft. Richmond are also desperate for a replacement elite KPF on the list. At some point, one of those picks needs to address that list hole.

That's before you get into any contract and salary stuff, although these days our club is pretty good at managing that stuff, and I imagine they see some contracts coming off the books in the near future like Dusty and Lynch and Grimes, which might mean back ended contracts for anyone we recruit now until those guys have retired.

If Blair Hartley can pull off some miracle where we get both but somehow keep a respectable draft hand either this year or next year, maybe by throwing in a player with currency that isn't required, I'll call him a genius.

It would surprise me if we got both, and personally I don't think it's the wisest move.

Our current draft hand is 12, 19, 30 and then next year's first and second, call them 14 and 32 for example for argument's sake assuming we acquired both.

I think it'd take a lot of that capital to get both across, and I'm not sure you want to sell that much draft. Richmond are also desperate for a replacement elite KPF on the list. At some point, one of those picks needs to address that list hole.

That's before you get into any contract and salary stuff, although these days our club is pretty good at managing that stuff, and I imagine they see some contracts coming off the books in the near future like Dusty and Lynch and Grimes, which might mean back ended contracts for anyone we recruit now until those guys have retired.

If Blair Hartley can pull off some miracle where we get both but somehow keep a respectable draft hand either this year or next year, maybe by throwing in a player with currency that isn't required, I'll call him a genius.
I think a player or 2 will be involved, they wont all those picks IMO

really?

How is that?

Same size, age, similar clearances , similar stats, how are they different, other than taranto is just better?
In a really simple comparison of styles I would say,

Hopper more like Cotch
Taranto more like Prestia

Not saying as good or better or worse than those guys, just playing style.

GWS fans may disagree with the above, but I am sure they would agree that they are quite different players.

I think the club has clearly been setting up for an aggressive trade period for a couple of years now, both with how they've managed the salary cap and how they've drafted.

They have gone hard on the draft the last 3-4 years and brought a lot of young talent in, there is already a lot of young guys there developing and fighting to break through into the seniors. I don't think there is much of a concern we are mortgaging our future by going after a few established players, both of whom are relatively young.

I agree a top KPF is a need, but it doesn't look like there will be one at our picks this year even if we were to keep them, and there are always options to trade back in next year if we see an opportunity arise come the time.

FWIW I still think Geelong are favorites for Hopper and don't expect for us to get both, but I'm all for the club being aggressive in trying to reset our midfield. I think we as fans tend to overrate draft picks as a general rule as well.

Don't expect both players. But getting Taranto and Hopper would create a deep midfield. Which the Tigers haven't had for years.

This year if the midfield could stand up every week the tigers would likely be top 2, double chance and likely a red hot contender. Obviously actually had a shallow midfield very reliant on Prestia.

Change that next year by bringing the two in, and the tigers are genuine contenders for about 3 years without young players developing incredibly well.

If the youngsters we have right now do develop well Taranto and Hopper would mean the Tigers contending for the next 5 - 7 years.

That's the logic for the club I would guess.

Doesn't mean it will work. But it's worth taking the chance. And a 2 player deal allows more room for trading (out most of the draft capital, with a player thrown in). Could even retain something like pick 19, which would be amazing.

Don't expect both players. But getting Taranto and Hopper would create a deep midfield. Which the Tigers haven't had for years.

This year if the midfield could stand up every week the tigers would likely be top 2, double chance and likely a red hot contender. Obviously actually had a shallow midfield very reliant on Prestia.

Change that next year by bringing the two in, and the tigers are genuine contenders for about 3 years without young players developing incredibly well.

If the youngsters we have right now do develop well Taranto and Hopper would mean the Tigers contending for the next 5 - 7 years.

That's the logic for the club I would guess.

Doesn't mean it will work. But it's worth taking the chance. And a 2 player deal allows more room for trading (out most of the draft capital, with a player thrown in). Could even retain something like pick 19, which would be amazing.
Is Dusty definitely seeing out his contract? I think I heard that he would but I don’t remember where I read it now. If he wanted to go up to Sydney this might be his chance, and would explain a little bit why you might land both.

I saw Cotchin re-signed for another year too, so you’d think the midfield opportunities might be a little limited for 12-24 months unless there are role changes or someone leaving that we don’t yet know about.

Is Dusty definitely seeing out his contract? I think I heard that he would but I don’t remember where I read it now. If he wanted to go up to Sydney this might be his chance, and would explain a little bit why you might land both.

I saw Cotchin re-signed for another year too, so you’d think the midfield opportunities might be a little limited for 12-24 months unless there are role changes or someone leaving that we don’t yet know about.

No one is playing 1.3 million for Dusty, especially either GWS or Sydney who aren't exactly brimming with cash. Unless Dusty takes a massive paycut, knowing is paying him that much. And maybe he would be happy to take a paycut to move, in which case all bets are off.

Hope Geelong go hard for Hopper. Hope Cameron pushes hard for him to

Remove this Banner Ad

Back