Player Watch Jake Soligo - Re-Signed to End of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

As I said to a couple of blokes at the footy, we just can’t seem to nail our first round picks (seem to got it right for 2020 and 2021).

For a long time it was the second round picks we kept getting wrong, sometimes due to lack of talent, other times due to circumstance. From Rendell's time, we took Otten, Jacky, McKernan, Gunston, Grigg and Joyce (plus Kerridge as an end-of-first-round priority pick), none of which managed to contribute much to the Crows. After Hamish took over we took Matt Crouch (good choice a for second rounder) and Wigg (not so much) and then avoided the second round altogether until 2018.

Hamill, Schoenberg, Worrell, Berry, Rowe and Soligo over the last four years makes for much better reading (O'Connor the only real bust in that time).

For a long time it was the second round picks we kept getting wrong, sometimes due to lack of talent, other times due to circumstance. From Rendell's time, we took Otten, Jacky, McKernan, Gunston, Grigg and Joyce (plus Kerridge as an end-of-first-round priority pick), none of which managed to contribute much to the Crows. After Hamish took over we took Matt Crouch (good choice a for second rounder) and Wigg (not so much) and then avoided the second round altogether until 2018.

Hamill, Schoenberg, Worrell, Berry, Rowe and Soligo over the last four years makes for much better reading (O'Connor the only real bust in that time).
Otten played 100 games for us, and would’ve been a lot better if it weren’t for the injuries.

Gunston is a star, I’m not sure it’s Rendell’s fault that we didn’t retain him.

Six goal Sammy is a cult legend, surely? And in trading him we managed to land the one and only Troy Menzel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Otten played 100 games for us, and would’ve been a lot better if it weren’t for the injuries.

Gunston is a star, I’m not sure it’s Rendell’s fault that we didn’t retain him.

I'm not knocking Rendell. I'm just saying that for various reasons, he didn't manage to land a single second-round pick that contributed long-term to the Crows. Yes, Otten made 109 games for us, but it was in dribs and drabs over 12 years, and he never again reached his 2009 form after the injury.

I'm not knocking Rendell. I'm just saying that for various reasons, he didn't manage to land a single second-round pick that contributed long-term to the Crows. Yes, Otten made 109 games for us, but it was in dribs and drabs over 12 years, and he never again reached his 2009 form after the injury.
I think he was a pretty valuable contributor over a long period of time. Obviously never played consistently, but I think if you’re offered a player who would have the career Otten did when making a second round selection you would take it more often than not.

Otten was an absolute gun before his first ACL, think he finished runner up in the Rising Star award, people forget just how good he was before the injuries.

Just about my favourite player at the time, probably only behind Porplyzia. His 2009 was exceptional for a second-year player.

He never got near that level again after the injury, unfortunately.

If you’re going to not credit the talent evaluation of Otten or Gunston, then it’s not really a fair point to make

Soligo and fog are the standouts of 2022... has alot of lachie neale about him... hopefully can put on some muscle this off-season and get even better.

Could be anything. When was the last time a player looked this good for us in their draft year? Looking back a lot of our good young players really didn't come on until their second year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back