Player Watch Jake Soligo - Re-Signed to End of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

A very, very ordinary thing for a young draftee to say. But agree with hey shorty that he will be very green and having never even visited Adelaide before you never know, he may like it, and enjoy playing for the Crows.

"Looking forward to seeing what it is like and living there for a bit" sure sounds like he'll be checking things out and getting out asap.

You would reckon the club does some due diligence on these kids, maybe it's just inexperience with media, but maybe he said what he is thinking?

I like the selections and what Jake and Zac bring as players. Both Josh Rachele and Zac appear stoked to have been drafted by us, and from a talent perspective both I reckon rate higher than Jake. So it's disappointing that he appears less enthused and would say this in an interview.

Time will tell I suppose. But we really want players who want to be at the club.

Tough crowd - geez give the kid a break (and some time).

Love the way he plays - hard at it and his back half of the year was a lot stronger than the first half suggesting he still has plenty of room for improvement

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'd settle for him just being as good as Ballantyne who apart from being a pest on field was a seriously good footballer.

People say some really unusual things. Ballantyne was a very good player and if this kid is as good as him then we have made a big step towards the top of the ladder

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm not "wetting the bed". And when you are 18 "a bit" isn't 5-10 years.

There's been players devastated to be drafted by us that stayed long term like Radar, and others that made bold statements about being here long term like Lever.

So there's no "bed wetting", it's just an ordinary thing of a new draftee to say.

Would you rather him churn out the media trained drivel?

There's been players devastated to be drafted by us that stayed long term like Radar, and others that made bold statements about being here long term like Lever.

So there's no "bed wetting", it's just an ordinary thing of a new draftee to say.
It's a throwaway line said in the moment. Analysing every word of an improvised interview to find hidden meanings isn't going to be very useful

It's a throwaway line said in the moment. Analysing every word of an improvised interview to find hidden meanings isn't going to be very useful

You wonder why there's so much nothingness churned out in interviews.

Trying to dodge the cracks that people analyse critically to their detriments is not a good thing.

Paralysis by analysis basically.

And this is why fans fear the recruiting of Vic Metro kids, but we just have to wait and see how he goes. It's daunting for most of them to move away from home (esp Vic Metro kids) when they've never done so before. It helps that he's friends with Zac and knows Josh and probably knows Luke as well.
Just remember we are always turning over the list and some will go. If they are decent and have currency we will get better draft capital. Its all part of the business of player movement. Just hoping the best ones want to stay for the journey

I am sure, the majority of Gen Z kids who get drafted interstate, initially feel they will stay for a while and eventually head home.
It’s now up to the club to make it so good for him, that he never wants to leave.
And I reckon Nicksy is the bloke to make this happen 👍.

Would you rather him churn out the media trained drivel?
Well there's probably some middle ground between "media trained drivel" and saying that he's " "Looking forward to seeing what it is like and living there for a bit".

I'd like him to be a tad enthusiastic about being drafted to us.

But if there's a choice between the two, and a draftee saying he was "here for a bit" yes I'd prefer the media trained drivel.

change the sheets Karen, they’re a bit wet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bit concerning when he said this about Adelaide "looking forward to seeing what it is like and living there for a bit" Does not sound convincing of him wanting to stay for the long term, but hopefully he plays well and gives us plenty of joy as Crows supporters.
Nah. A raw untrained media performer. He's just falling back on common phrasing. Read nothing into it

The kid knew we were keen on him, he seemed pumped to be selected by us, he is here with his mate plus only an idiot would publicly state they didn't plan on sticking around after being drafted, he obviously didn't mean he wasn't going to stick around.

Its also on to the club to build an environment where our players stay and so far with the recent re-signings, Nicks has been able to do that. Plus they can see all the off-field changes plus they have a young group they can build a career together with.

The kid knew we were keen on him, he seemed pumped to be selected by us, he is here with his mate plus only an idiot would publicly state they didn't plan on sticking around after being drafted, he obviously didn't mean he wasn't going to stick around.

Its also on to the club to build an environment where our players stay and so far with the recent re-signings, Nicks has been able to do that. Plus they can see all the off-field changes plus they have a young group they can build a career together with.
Exactly, it's up to AFC to build an environment that he has too many mates to want to leave.

Talking of leaving, Lever said when he arrived at our club that he expected he would be with us long term... so don't read anything into what a player says when they 1st arrive.

Exactly, it's up to AFC to build an environment that he has too many mates to want to leave.

Talking of leaving, Lever said when he arrived at our club that he expected he would be with us long term... so don't read anything into what a player says when they 1st arrive.
Sloane and Talia are the benchmarks of what we did right to keep a very good Victorian here for the entirety of their AFL career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back