Player Watch Jake Soligo - Re-Signed to End of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

Soligo is really impressive. Looks like our winger for the next 10 years.
He will be a mid. Nicks said he was drafted as a mid and they will give him some midfield time.

That has to start now. Plenty of first year mids get midfield time, it appears after Jones we are gun shy, but not all young mids are Jones’s.

He will be a mid. Nicks said he was drafted as a mid and they will give him some midfield time.

That has to start now. Plenty of first year mids get midfield time, it appears after Jones we are gun shy, but not all young mids are Jones’s.
I see him rolling through the midfield as a balanced mid, but starting games on a wing. It’s great that we have a player who could genuinely develop the ability to play both roles well (touch wood)

I see him rolling through the midfield as a balanced mid, but starting games on a wing. It’s great that we have a player who could genuinely develop the ability to play both roles well (touch wood)
He's a footballer. He's very balanced and calm and doesn't seem prone to howlers, unlike many in the team.
That he has started on the flanks, like most new midfielders, and done much better than most of them, is a very good sign. It suggests that he may do even better when moved to the midfield.

Love the way this kid see's the play unfolding in front of him. And how he has the quick thinking, depth perception, and ability to use touch in his disposal to ensure it gets to the next player.

Its early, but it certainly seems like his decision making has to be right up there on our list. So rarely butchers a possession! A lot of very seasoned Crows players could take a leaf of Jake's book in that department
TAYLOR is another with these qualities. Broken wrist stymied his development. Had average game on weekend. Very good decision maker And highly skilled

bit harsh.
first game back from a broken thumb and most of the team playing like they were already on holiday, and then this last game he was shunted out of the midfield in the second half playing in AFC no-mans land of half forward.

On the highlights, commentators mentioned early in the second quarter how Taylor had had a heap of the ball.

He finished the game with 11 touches.

In the above video (near the end), 2 good examples of play that really exemplifies what this kid’s about:
  • taking a big mark running with the flight of the ball against the flow of heavy traffic = courageous.
  • deft kick along the ground to a team mate, while a handpass would have been blocked by an opponent = talent + footy brain.

This kid’s the real deal. He kind of reminds me of Zak Butters - classy, skilful, no-nonsense, tough nut.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Continues to show that great mix of class and toughness. And even got a few CBA's!

The fact he's winning 20 touches at AFL level as a 180cm 19-year-old is super impressive, especially for a pick in the mid 30's

I'm definitely interested in what a pre-season with Burgess does to Soligo. Has really bolted as the year went on.

The fact that we got a multiple year contract extension for both sog and Rachelle before the season shows someone at the club can identify talent.
Seems like there’s a genuine effort at the club to not only identify talent in the draft picks, but to help keep these talents as long-term players. Really important in a rebuild to keep them for as long as we can, instead of losing talents a la Lever, Cameron, McGovern etc.

I can actually see Soligo as well as Rachele being match winners like the 3 names in the above. Both of them have really good footskills and genuine footy smarts. Both are in my top 2 youngsters that I’m keen to see how they’d fare by 50 games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back