Player Watch Jake Soligo - Re-Signed to End of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

I said a week or 2 ago, that Jakes hard running, 2 way work, and clean takes could make him out new Sloane

What worries me is what if he follows the same 2nd & 3rd year decline all our draftees seem to have.

We seem to have negative development curves

Absolutely. It's so frustrating because it's so predictable. I was wracking my brain trying to think of a single good draftee from the last few years who hasn't regressed the year after establishing themself. Butts was all I could think of.

Absolutely. It's so frustrating because it's so predictable. I was wracking my brain trying to think of a single good draftee from the last few years who hasn't regressed the year after establishing themself. Butts was all I could think of.

I wonder if we let them play early on, and if they have success we start to work on “improving” them?

Fill their heads with stifling non-negotiables that take away any flair, creativity or even effectiveness they might have

Berry the only one that comes to mind (sadly)

I wonder if we let them play early on, and if they have success we start to work on “improving” them?

Fill their heads with stifling non-negotiables that take away any flair, creativity or even effectiveness they might have
I've said it before in other threads that we seem to have this focus more on mitigating players' deficiencies rather than building on their strengths. I suppose the idea is that you're not dependent on personnel - if somebody gets injured, you've got 5 more identical players you can just plug into their position. The end result is that all of our players get pulled to the middle. Some that might not have otherwise had AFL careers end up playing 100+ mediocre games, but others who might have developed into genuine (if flawed) stars also end up playing 100+ mediocre games.

This is why we have little to no X factor on our list. If Eddie Betts had come to the club now rather than at the end of 2013, we would have turned him into Lachie Murphy within 2-3 years.

I've said it before in other threads that we seem to have this focus more on mitigating players' deficiencies rather than building on their strengths. I suppose the idea is that you're not dependent on personnel - if somebody gets injured, you've got 5 more identical players you can just plug into their position. The end result is that all of our players get pulled to the middle. Some that might not have otherwise had AFL careers end up playing 100+ mediocre games, but others who might have developed into genuine (if flawed) stars also end up playing 100+ mediocre games.

This is why we have little to no X factor on our list. If Eddie Betts had come to the club now rather than at the end of 2013, we would have turned him into Lachie Murphy within 2-3 years.
Disagree with the Eddie Betts comment. He would have still been a star.
However, if we had drafted Betts, we would have ruined him. He would have played SANFL for 3 years. Played 2 AFL games and been dropped for lack of tackling pressure.

The first part of your comment I 100% agree with. We recruit a guy who has a particular AFL trait and strength, then immediately work on minimising any weaknesses, even if it means also negatively impacting their strengths.

We want a team of solid B- types - Mackay, Reilly, Douglas etc... We definitely DON'T want the guys who could be A+ one week and a C the next.

On Jake - this kids been the highlight of the year. He has it. Skilled, smart, runs hard, is tough, good on ground and overhead.
If we manage to stay out of his way and F'up his development, he will be a top level player.

That running back with the flight mark was exceptional. If he played for a Victorian team and did that, it would be all over the afl website right now.

Spot on
Cook is a classic example
I guy that has heaps of tools to be a very good AFL player
But because his one deficiency is his supposed contested ball, we leave him in the sanfl for most of the year to work on it
Instead of playing him in the AFL to bring his other skills that the team really need

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sneaky chance for Rising Star nom, between him & Hobbs I reckon.

Hobbs might pip him playing in a winning side

Love the way this kid see's the play unfolding in front of him. And how he has the quick thinking, depth perception, and ability to use touch in his disposal to ensure it gets to the next player.

Its early, but it certainly seems like his decision making has to be right up there on our list. So rarely butchers a possession! A lot of very seasoned Crows players could take a leaf of Jake's book in that department

Major positive out of this crap game, was this kid. Over taken Rachelle now with his excitement level, and contribution to the team for mine.

Even with him, he somehow went from a regular player last year to being out of the side at the start of this year.
I actually think Berry is one of the ones we’ve handled fairly well

Dominated a few midfield games in the sanfl then came in ready to go and able to hold his spot and thrive

Should be in our starting midfield now however

If your memory was any shorter it would be called Caleb Daniel.
Rachele started in a blaze of glory but his last 4 games have been ok at best

Since coming back into the side Soligo has been one of our best players

That’s almost enough to give him the nod as our best first year player but plenty of footy to come so will reserve judgement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back