Toast Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - Welcome to the club

Remove this Banner Ad

These should be 48 of the best 60 or so kids in the land (those whose draft year is 2020). Would that be correct?

Listening to the call it seems that an awful lot of them are tied to an AFL club via NGA or FS arrangements. I know two of them are ours but it's certainly moving the draft away from an open uncompromised system when so many are tied to specific clubs.

These should be 48 of the best 60 or so kids in the land (those whose draft year is 2020). Would that be correct?

Listening to the call it seems that an awful lot of them are tied to an AFL club via NGA or FS arrangements. I know two of them are ours but it's certainly moving the draft away from an open uncompromised system when so many are tied to specific clubs.
Next year is extremely compromised. That’s why there’s big danger in trading future picks this year.

They've still got Marra in the back line...

He’s played a fair few games in defence the last couple of years. Performed pretty well there too.
Would’ve been better to see him up fwd all game though to give him a chance to show his real talents. Throwing him around the ground didn’t help him at all.

Given he largely played mid and back, what was the purpose of playing him outside his position of strength? Poor coaching or part of his development?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given he largely played mid and back, what was the purpose of playing him outside his position of strength? Poor coaching or part of his development?
These games are mainly used to trail players in different spots

Serious question Trial them for what? Isn't this the last game of the season?
That game is a showcase game
Play players in their primary position for 90% of game time
The rest is move them around

Jamarra was key defender last year for Rebels

The AFL draft hasn't been an uncomprised system since the AFL started giving the plastics multiple draft picks in the top 10 every year

The AFL draft hasn't been an uncomprised system since the AFL started giving the plastics multiple draft picks in the top 10 every year
Agree. It's hardly ever been uncompromised but it's currently moving even further away from what it needs to be.

We should be aiming for minimal interference and quarantining of players. I'd happily scrap all NGAs, including ours, (after 2020 of course) but I just can't see them even contemplating it. The AFL is tying itself in knots trying to find a pathway through it all.

The solution is not to make it more complicated but to make it way simpler. Scrap the NGAs for draft purposes. If really necessary create regional NGAs that are NOT club-aligned but are still sponsored by the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back